Steve Bissette thread

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Mark Bode
tmMceSarcponlahti Sm23 aisotmnred t1:4nadt7 PcMcl ·

In the 90s Sitting at our dining room table one evening after a Words and Pictures event in Northampton Mass , Berni Wrightson
Stephen Bissette
and I had a lil meeting of the minds at the Bodē house. Our 10 year old daughter
Zara Bodē
put on the charm and asked for a drawing from her famous uncles and voila the only jam between the two Swamp Thing artists came to light.
163627740_10158296891409065_3397440134577222840_o.jpg

jack

Mark Bode' is the son of CHEECH WIZARD creator Vaughan, who died tragically many years ago. He supports his fathers' legacy to this day :D

The above art is a jam with Berni and Bissette! FABULOUS!

Last edited:

jack

I remember when I lived in Bennington VT and would go up to Grafton occasionally, where Steve lived. He invited me up there one fine weekend because Alan Moore was there brainstorming another issue of the series "Swamp Thing" that he was writing for DC comics. It was truly wonderful watching the two of them collaborate.

Swampy.jpg

jack

608515.jpg

Cover by Rick Veitch. Written by Steve Bissette, Rick Veitch, Lawrence Shell and Jack Venooker. Art by Steve Bissette, Rick Veitch, John Totleben and unknown. Featuring: 1-page untitled story by Steve Bissette; "Conquest of the Banana Planet!" by Rick Veitch; dinosaur tale "Scraps" by Bissette; "Earth Invasion" by Lawrence Shell and unknown; "Arena" by Jack Venooker and Bissette; Peanuts parody "Nutpeas!" by Veitch; and 1-page "Hell's Bells" illo by Vietch, Bissette and John Totleben. 32 pages, full color. Cover price $1.75.

jack

Here's a copy of the first comic Bissette and I did together when we were rooomies in college. I have a few strips in there and it was a lovely collaborative effort. I still have a few copies stashed, they're worth a few hundred each these days :bigass: This was when he used "Spider" as his nom de plume. Very cool.

b8e34b7c51738e3617df373d70bd22d3.jpg

jack

Original art from Swamp Thing #19. I actually watched him draw this.

lf

jack

Here was my first self published book "The Journal of Popular Culture #1 " Cover by Bissette and Veitch. Bissette and I did a three page story together "Arena" Copies go for about 150 these days

7d2a919ceb710bf77de4d17852d91480.jpg

jack

jack

Steve's love of dinosaurs was always front and center and this was his "bucket list" project. It only ran three issues and he never finished the series, but this issue was standalone and a remarkable mix of art, passion and science.

Tyrant_1.jpg

Last edited:

jack

Original art to SWAMP THING #38 (with John Totleben) They mailed this back and forth to each other to get it done. Totleben was legally blind and could not travel. Recently sold for $27,000 :D

lf

jack

Here's Swampy and Abby, currently at $2,160

lf

jack

Original art from SWAMP THING 16. Rare collaboration of Bissette and Totleben, currently at $9,990.

s-l1600.jpg

jack

Original cover to SWAMP THING #26 currently valued at 14,500$

Dnigyc4VAAY8Nhb

jack

I colored the cover and most of the interior for this book.

bissettefury1.jpg

jack

Your jealousy tastes sweet :bigass:

Here's the ashcan (signed) from the Tyrant series. Comes in green and yellow. Was included in the original Tyrant pack. currently sells for $30.00

s-l500.jpg

jack

Here's a print from the original swamp thing folio Bissette did that was quite limited. Currently $300

s-l1600.jpg

jack

jack