Stranger Things (Netflix)

Dershocka

dershocka
I recently binged watch this one. I enjoyed it, Really enjoyed it. That being said, it really did just feel like a mashup of every movie, or tv show I loved from the 80s. One gripe, the villains were inept. Storm trooper incompetent. As good as season one was, I have high hopes for season 2. I expect alot more originality, and, Hopefully, tougher antagonists.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It's a good show because the acting was really good and the nostalgia, but the actual story was definitely the weakest part. The villains went from murdering a diner worker just for talking to Elle in the first episode to letting the sheriff live at the end for some reason.

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

The monster looks way better than last time but their Ghosbusters costumes are too professional looking!

CaptainWacky

REMEMBER THE EIGHTIES?

CaptainWacky

Season two is on Netflix tomorrow, but it's also Mario Day so...

CaptainWacky

Haven't watched much yet (because Mario) but it's been good so far.

Love Child

One Love
I just finally got a netflilx subscription and am now watching stragner things. All because of the cute guy at the store tonight that convinced me and my friend that it was the best show ever.
and maybe becaue I wanted to be cool like everybody else.

CaptainWacky

I can't read that!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
They didn’t show much of the upside down in season 2. :(

CaptainWacky

FULL SPOILERS for season two below don't read if you haven't watched it.

Overall it was a better season than seaon one. The pacing was generally better (remember Winona Ryder spending four episodes looking at Christmas lights in season one?), the pay off was bigger and it was a lot of fun. The best thing about the show is the characters and the casting. Has there ever been a show with better kids actors? Probably not! All the characters are well defined and it's good to watch any combination of them (like the unexpected but delightful team-up of Dustin and Steve.) I also like how all the characters turn out to be generally nice and help each other out? Like in an other show either Sean Astin or the scientist guy would turn out to be evil and betray everyone, but here they both turned out to be good guys!

ON THE DOWNSIDE Eleven's story got tedious and that episode where she went off with the X-Men rejects was straight up bad with unconvincing characters and just a general sense of "get back to the big fight with the monsters." Max's brother seemed too over the top evil (he tried to run over children!) but I guess they'll develop him more next season.

But yeah it was good.

Dershocka

dershocka
I was intrigued with the introduction of Eleven's "sister" but it was definitely over the top. Perhaps if it would've been longer than 9 episodes they could've fleshed out that subplot better. I was genuinely saddened by Bob's death, but I figured he would bite it because somebody had to. Anymore it seems like shows are unafraid to kill off main characters, but I'm glad this show doesn't go that direction. (I suppose having a mostly child cast plays into that). They're very effective though in making you care about the secondary characters before their demise.

This season did seem to have a much faster paced storyline. I liked the introduction of Max, and her brother. Although he was a bit over the top as well. But, I think the over the top aspect of the characters plays into the whole 80's movie feel.

Perhaps the sister will play a bigger role in the next season. Maybe as an antagonist?

CaptainWacky

Is Matthew Modine really still alive or was it just a dream?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
There’s an aftershow round table with Jim Rash and the Duffer brothers that will make you hate the cast if you’ve got to the end and still want more.

CaptainWacky

I don't like those aftershow things with the studio audience whooping and hollering and the annoying hosts. I watched about eight minutes of the first "After Trek" and stopped.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I watched the introduction of After Trek and had to scramble for the remote to turn it off. That guy is excruciating.

Jim Rash is obviously very good, though. And there’s no studio audience. Most of the laughter comes from people who are impressed by their own jokes.

CaptainWacky

Has any guest on any of these after shows ever said "that episode was a huge disappointment!"?

Last edited: