TEEN GOES NUCLEAR: He creates fusion in his Oakland Township home

Tyrant

Pointing to the steel chamber where all the magic happens, Thiago said on Friday that this piece of the puzzle serves as a vacuum. The air is sucked out and into a filter.

Then, deuterium gas -- a form of hydrogen -- is injected into the vacuum. About 40,000 volts of electricity are charged into the chamber from a piece of equipment taken from an old mammogram machine. As the machine runs, the atoms in the chamber are attracted to the center and soon -- ta da -- nuclear fusion.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006611190639

"Originally, he wanted to build a hyperbolic chamber," she said, adding that she promptly said no. But, when he came asking about the nuclear fusion machine, she relented.
Women :roll:

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, fusion. To harness the power of the heavens. I support this kind of thing. Any and all progress towards leaving the elemental transmutation of Nuclear fission behind in the past in the place of true fusion is a good thing. Still, as impressive as these basement fusion reactors are the fusion breakthrough doesn't seem to be hurtling towards us at any miraculous rate. One day though.

Tyrant

There's no doubt he expended more energy in achieving fusion than what could have been generated.

I'm personally ready to accept the possibility that there is no way to generate efficient fusion power, just like there might not exist any way to escape the Solar System and visit another within a reasonable frame of time.

Stories like this are impressive. This kid is a regular Doogie Howser and I hope he gets those grants and proves me wrong.