The Apple Watch

The Question

Eternal
Would you buy one? I'm about as much of an "Apple fanboy" as anybody could be accused of being, but I would not. Know why? The Apple Watch is an expensive extension to the Apple hardware/software ecosystem, but it isn't a standalone product in it. I happen to like that ecosystem quite a bit, and were the Apple Watch a standalone product, I'd go for it. But its functionality depends on having an iPhone. If I've got an iPhone, I've already got a device that does everything the watch does and more.

If you think about it purely from a timekeeping perspective, the Apple Watch is the wristwatch to the iPhone's pocket watch. Pocket watches are cool. True, you don't see many people carrying pocket watches anymore. But you don't see anybody carrying a pocket watch and wearing a wristwatch at the same time.

I have a feeling that, had Steve Jobs still been alive, he'd have killed the Apple Watch in its infancy, and I wouldn't have blamed him. It's too expensive, too dependent on a parent device.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Why would anyone make an ANYTHING-watch? Nobody wears watches anymore. They get the time from their smartphones.

I never did wear them, really.

This is a fail.

The Question

Eternal
It's basically an iOS-enabled fashion accessory for rich folks. Which is fine, I guess, for rich folks.

I had the same conversation with my husband the other day about. I swear it was nearly word for word on your thoughts about it. I just can't justify the expense for a dependent product. Never mind how gigantic it would be on my tiny wrist. My FitBit sized small is 3/4" too wide for me and is always getting hung up on something. Good thing it has a proper clasp. The Apple Watch has a button and magnet closure and I cannot imagine it being that secure.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
How about an Apple smart vagina? There's an attachment I could go for...

The Question

Eternal
What I could go for, instead, would be a Central Standard Timing e-ink based watch. Peep this suave shit, yo.

Central Standard Timing

The Question

Eternal
No kidding. That's what a watch should be -- one function, delivered with a minimum of bullshit.

Yeah and it's good looking too.

I'm wondering why it hasn't hit the proper retail market yet? I see they're taking pre-orders and delivery on those are promised for early summer 2014.

The Question

Eternal
Well, that's a little disconcerting.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
I'm also thinking about picking up this bad boy in case I ever have occasion to smash someone's gay-ass Apple watch in a down and out wrist fight.

Also, I'm not totally sure what it does so I probably won't mess with it.

12287.imgcache.jpg

The Question

Eternal
And to think, they only discovered the Antekythira Device a few short years ago -- now they make a version you can strap to your forearm. Must be for triple-amputees to keep them from floating off on a stiff breeze.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Also for if you get bored by shit that makes sense and like to flush money down toilets by the handful.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
What's that hand crank for?

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Because once you get up past about $200,000, you want something done you do it your damn self.

(I have no idea)

NeonMercuryASH

beer, I want beer
The Apple Watch actually monitors heartbeat, blood pressure, maybe glucose. That it tells the time so you can tell the paramedics when the alarms went off is a side benefit. It's really a medical scanner. Apple eventually wants to design Dr. McCoy's tricorder.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
The Apple Watch is funny. It is marketed to the generation that never wore a watch because they had their face in their cell phone which tells them everything including what time it is.

The watch is having problems. If you have tats on your wrist, you may have problems getting a clear reading with the heart monitors.

My fitness tracker has the same problem reading through ink. It's a flawed technology because they use light sensors instead of vibration to monitor heart rate. The Apple Watch's heart rate monitor is pretty accurate when it is working I've heard where mine - FitBit Charge HR is utter crap. After 4 months of bullshit I sent it back. The readings are so erratic and you can't reset it or turn it off. One time they had me climbing 5000 flights of stairs in one day. I didn't even have it on my wrist that day. The company has every excuse in the world why 'it's you and not us' and haven't provided a fix since it came out last year nor are they hinting it will happen. Let's see how fast Apple finds a solution, they're pretty good at keeping on top of these kinds of issues.

I also found out that you don't need to keep your phone with you to use it. It works in sync with your phone and is dependent on it for things, but you can leave the phone at home and use the watch instead if you don't want to lug around the phone.