The best ways to spot a liar.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Use open questions. This forces the liar to expand on their tale until they become entrapped in their own web of deceit.

Employ the element of surprise. Investigators should try to increase the liar’s “cognitive load” – such as by asking them unanticipated questions that might be slightly confusing, or asking them to report an event backwards in time – techniques that make it harder for them to maintain their façade.

Watch for small, verifiable details. If a passenger says they are at the University of Oxford, ask them to tell you about their journey to work.

Observe changes in confidence. Watch carefully to see how a potential liar’s style changes when they are challenged: a liar may be just as verbose when they feel in charge of a conversation, but their comfort zone is limited and they may clam up if they feel like they are losing control.

The aim is a casual conversation rather than an intense interrogation. Under this gentle pressure, however, the liar will give themselves away by contradicting their own story, or by becoming obviously evasive or erratic in their responses. “The important thing is that there is no magic silver bullet; we are taking the best things and putting them together for a cognitive approach,” says Ormerod.

Their secret was a simple trick known to masters in the art of persuasion: they would open the conversation by asking the students how honest they were.

jack

Body Cues

The hands: Liars tend to use gestures with their hands after they speak as opposed to during or before a conversation, says Traci Brown, who has participated in a deception training program with members of the FBI and occasionally helps work on investigations. “The mind is doing too many things including making up the story, figuring out if they’re being believed and adding to the story accordingly,” she says. “So normal gesturing that might normally happen just before a statement happens after the statement.”

A 2015 study conducted by the University of Michigan looked at 120 media clips of high-stakes court cases in order to understand how people behave when lying versus when they’re being truthful. The study found that those who lie are more likely to gesture with both of their hands than those who are telling the truth — people gestured with both of their hands in 40% of the lying clips, compared to 25% of the truthful clips.

jack

57ea245b5db27c234fe0c10bef.jpg

Mirah

I love you
Also
My sister says I trust everyone.
Not so sure that is true.

Are you a person that trusts everyone first until they do something wrong?
Or
Are you a person that tests people and once they pass your tests then you trust them?

I think I am a little bit of both. Also it depends where I meet them. If I meet them in church I have one eyebrow raised, if I meet them here I'm like, "cool, I can trust you"

Mirah

I love you
And others I know trust people to do the wrong thing all the time.

I guess I know that people are fallible and make mistakes, just like I do. I have to trust something greater than people to get me through this life. I write that after knowing I was disapointed in a family member today. LOL But that family member is doing what that family member usually always does, so it was no surprise. My own fault really.

jack

I think it extends to Wilson's posting here too. Very easy to tell when he's lying.

jack

I think it extends to Wilson's posting here too. Very easy to tell when he's lying.

As in this recent thread: http://trollkingdom.net/threads/why-is-being-pooped-on-by-a-bird-good-luck.151145/

As Loktar (and probably Mirah) remember, back when Pickle used to post here he started a running joke about this "idea" when "Hero" and "Gianni" and that group of Comicon trolls were using the very pic "Blackfoot" (not his real name) references in that thread.

Poor jealous bastard. Busted again.

That's why it pays to spot a liar.

jack

Just look at any post by Cee Jay :bigass:

jack

You can also spot a liar by how angry he gets when it's pointed out he's lying.

jack

Just look a few threads down :bigass:

jack

jack

You can spot one about 5 or 6 threads down.

NeonMercuryASH

beer, I want beer
Or worse, they try to gaslight you knowing YOU are not a liar. They try to bust you which they can do. How? Because you’re not trying to deceive. Most such people are sloppy about the information, because they don’t give a shit. They’re not trying to convince. The liar wants to convince you of their sincerity so they’re overly factitious.

jack

Just look a couple threads down. The biggest liar on the Internetz posts here. Goes by the name Cee Gay.

Not sure why he calls himself that, but it fits with his persona. A liar and a lowlife grifter besides.

jack

Two threads down to be exact.

Biggest liar on TK. Almost as bad as Castle.

jack

bump