The Expanse season 5

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I wish they'd show a wider view of the devastation to Earth, or at least have Avasarala talk about it. I feel they did a better job of getting that across in the book.

Tipper continues tip-top acting.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Great episode. Naomi's part is giving me anxiety!

SAUSAGEMAN

I wish they'd show a wider view of the devastation to Earth, or at least have Avasarala talk about it. I feel they did a better job of getting that across in the book.

Tipper continues tip-top acting.
It's completely unclear what's up with earth! Like, on its face, this shouldn't be much worse than when Mars nuked it? Like maybe 10 million dead, but people are talking like society is going to break down and idk.

the 2003-era war on terror commentary wasn't.... I didn't find it super compelling

CaptainWacky

I think there's supposed to have been further environmental catastrophes (like flooding) after the initial impact that have killed millions more but again not clear.

SAUSAGEMAN

I think there's supposed to have been further environmental catastrophes (like flooding) after the initial impact that have killed millions more but again not clear.
Well see, if that were true, you might think that the Secretary General would have addressed it in his speech instead of just cribbing verbatim from September 2001 Bush. Even the Baltimore skyline looked basically intact, if a bit cloudy.

CaptainWacky

Did both Arjuns die or just the less likable second one.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Ahhhhhh, I want to know if Naomi is going to be okay :rwmad:

CaptainWacky

Very good finale. I still question some of the pacing throughout the season (and still no clear picture of what's happening on Earth!) But this had fun space battles and a cool creepy ending and that's what I like!

Alex got Fred's book death! It's cool how it shows the danger of traveling at that speed! It's also lucky they had that one bit of Alex looking rough earlier because the actual death was obviously just a still shot of him with CG blood added. But it's probably the best they could do under the circumstances.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
BOBBIE!!! I love her.

WTF happened when they went through the ring at the end? Is that what always happens?

CaptainWacky

No this was a new thing.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah that weird and pretty looking.

Alex’s death was a surprise. I hadn’t really thought about them getting rid of him this season. I wonder how far into filming that was decided? Fair enough using the still shot of him since they couldn’t use the actor, but the rest of the crew’s actions were pretty minimal. I assume those were reshoots they put in after the season had been filmed.

Agreed about Earth. In the book it was pretty clear it was a worldwide catastrophe. In the show it looked like the aftermath of a hurricane or something else quite localised, with sporadic Walking Dead style evil gangs.

I found the space battles pretty confusing too, actually. Maybe I don’t pay enough attention, but I can never tell who’s firing at who. Even the closeups of the ships don’t help much unless you can see the paintwork clearly.

Still a good season, though.

SAUSAGEMAN

This felt really anti-climatic, like the entire season was set-up and moving pieces around, not its own standalone plot. I really wanna see what comes next, but the big emotional climax of the season is "Naomi gets rescued"??

CaptainWacky

They shot the final scenes with Alex in them then edited him out later.

fVVIgw4.png

I guess they did some reshoots like the scene of Holden/Naomi talking about him and Bull drinking out of his cup.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Interesting. They must’ve cg’d him out of a few shots too. Not that challenging compared to all the other things they do.

I guess they didn’t feel like they could mourn the character dying too much or it’d sound like they were on the fence about firing the actor.

CaptainWacky

I would still hope we get a scene of Holden telling Alex's family next season at least.