The Gul's Psychotic Break/WF Implosion Banpool...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
So we lost GT this weekend.
Then me.
Quickly followed by RonPaul (I wish I had his contact info to invite him over here, but he's a pretty resourceful guy and should already know about this place so...)
Then Face.
Paladin has just asked for his account to be locked.

So who's next?

I'd say Flashlight is my top bet, possibly followed by Soma. Soma's kind of working under the radar, but he's awfully clever, so it's only a matter of time before gul realizes he's a Dangerous Subversive.

Second tier would be Dinner, Federal Farmer, and El Chup. The only reason Dinner doesn't go in the top tier is that he's been calling John a lying shitstain for days. Be kind of hard to ban him for saying mean things at this point. El Chup, I'm on the fence about. He could go in my first round because he's definitely been one of the loudest voices, but he also sides with the staff on occasion so they may have a soft spot for him.

Or will it be someone else, totally out of left field? Will Diacanu go on a nihlist bent and get banned? Someone else? Bets?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
On an unrelated note, I wonder if it might be good to have the nice men in white coats stop by the gul household to see if everything is OK. Maybe he can meet Kanye West!

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Ramen. They could ban Ramen too.

gturner

Zor Prime is throwing in the towel psychologically.

What the heck is going on around here?

Sigh. Well we had a good run. It's been what... 13 years at this place?

Good times, good times.

But I guess all good things must come to an end.

A bunch more feel the same way.

There's a weird psychology to despotism. Once someone starts down that path then they become more wedded to their utopian vision, because if all the horror and loss doesn't lead to a better society (purged of members who wouldn't fit in), then it's all just destruction, death, and deprivation. Unable to blame themselves for the disaster, they crack the whip and put renewed focus on rooting out the "problem people" who are, after all, really to blame for everything.

It's a behavior that is repeated across scales and throughout history.

The other problem with WF (and most websites) is that unlike America, which has a written constitution insisted by the people to protect themselves from government, the rules on most boards are rules by the owners (the elites) on the users, but with no guarantees or promises in return. If you don't obey the rules they will ban you. If you do obey the rules they might ban you anyway. They might also change all the rules on a whim. And of course absolutely no rights to a fair hearing, or a hearing at all, are granted.

A better board would be set up by the users, for the users, and the owners and mods would act as servants, not masters. Abuse of authority would result in that authority being stripped.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Allegedly, Christopher/Bickendan has overruled gul and unbanned Face. So maybe he's next.

Yeah. Funny thing about Leftists is that they're never wrong. The people In Charge can find a Solution for and Problem. And if the solution doesn't work; if the solution actually makes things worse? Well that means they just didn't go far enough.

Chicago has something like 500 murders for the year and some bigwig has commented that "everybody has a gun and anybody can get a gun"--in spite of some of the strictest gun laws in the nation. So what is the solution? Roll back the ineffectual gun laws and allow people to defend themselves? No. More and stricter gun laws. It would be funny if it weren't so tragic.

That's the thing that the people that have been trying to reason this one out just aren't getting--you can't reason with a liberal that is on a power trip. Because they're Right. And you're Wrong. I quote The Doctor: "You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering. "

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
A better board would be set up by the users, for the users, and the owners and mods would act as servants, not masters. Abuse of authority would result in that authority being stripped.

I've been involved in several enterprises attempting just such a thing. I've been both the user for the users and the user for whom the users are for.

It never works and it never will because people are cunts. Myself included.

Simple as that.

gturner

One of Quest's recent comments illustrates that perfectly.

I did think at one point that there was a case to be made for banning gturner under rule 3 (spamming without any prior contribution). This is because since he arrived he has never made a Red Room post in what I would consider "good faith," as in arguing for a point of view he really believes in, prepared to be challenged if not convinced by opposing arguments. His act is to stake out the most reality-defying position imaginable and defend it at all costs. Any argument against him is either ignored or used as a platform for spouting more absurdities.

They can't conceive that someone could actually have a viewpoint that starkly differs from theirs, so anyone arguing such a viewpoint therefore can't be arguing in good faith, and can be silenced. :hitler:

gturner

I've been involved in several enterprises attempting just such a thing. I've been both the user for the users and the user for whom the users are for.

It never works and it never will because people are cunts. Myself included.

Simple as that.

The way the US Founders made it work was to realize that powerful people are always driven by vanity, greed, and power, and that the best check against them is their worst enemies. So divided government and separation of powers, with frequent elections.

The Question

Eternal
The way the US Founders made it work was to realize that powerful people are always driven by vanity, greed, and power, and that the best check against them is their worst enemies. So divided government and separation of powers, with frequent elections.

Has that model worked in message board form, though? Or even been tried? It'd be a pretty interesting experiment, at any rate, eh?

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018

Yeah, but people that run, populate and contribute to message boards are cunts.

The Question

Eternal
I, for one, am a cunt among cunts. Revel in my cuntosity. :sarek:

El Chupacabra

I'm not wearing any pants!!
So we lost GT this weekend.
Then me.
Quickly followed by RonPaul (I wish I had his contact info to invite him over here, but he's a pretty resourceful guy and should already know about this place so...)
Then Face.
Paladin has just asked for his account to be locked.

So who's next?

I'd say Flashlight is my top bet, possibly followed by Soma. Soma's kind of working under the radar, but he's awfully clever, so it's only a matter of time before gul realizes he's a Dangerous Subversive.

Second tier would be Dinner, Federal Farmer, and El Chup. The only reason Dinner doesn't go in the top tier is that he's been calling John a lying shitstain for days. Be kind of hard to ban him for saying mean things at this point. El Chup, I'm on the fence about. He could go in my first round because he's definitely been one of the loudest voices, but he also sides with the staff on occasion so they may have a soft spot for him.

Or will it be someone else, totally out of left field? Will Diacanu go on a nihlist bent and get banned? Someone else? Bets?
I hate to bust up your party, but you and Ron Paul deserved you bans for acting like complete tools and breaking the rules outside the RR......all so you could the cry about how it showed how unreasonable they were. It totally undermined what we were trying to argue. Frankly it was behaviour unbefitting a middle aged man.

As for me and bans, Gul has it in for me. But unlike you , I play no clique or political loyalty games....and that's why I think so many of you are irritated by me. I expose your own immaturity.

Gul has already been forced to unban Face. If he has any sense he won't ban anyone for a while as his credibility is on a knife edge.

The Question

Eternal
If he [Gul] has any sense...

4yKQGMD.jpg

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I hate to bust up your party, but you and Ron Paul deserved you bans for acting like complete tools and breaking the rules outside the RR......all so you could the cry about how it showed how unreasonable they were. It totally undermined what we were trying to argue. Frankly it was behaviour unbefitting a middle aged man.

As for me and bans, Gul has it in for me. But unlike you , I play no clique or political loyalty games....and that's why I think so many of you are irritated by me. I expose your own immaturity.

Gul has already been forced to unban Face. If he has any sense he won't ban anyone for a while as his credibility is on a knife edge.
You're really not very bright, are you? :)