The Mandalorian

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Also Cara Dune should have died. She should have been shot by a Dark Trooper and there should have been a 5-minute scene where the other characters all say "Wow I can't believe she's totally dead, there's no way she could ever come back from this. To do so would be a bigger breach of canon than, say, bringing Palpatine back for some reason.".

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I literally just came back to post that the Dark Troopers really should have killed someone to show how scary they are. Like we're supposed to think they would have definitely killed our heroes at the end if Luke didn't show up, but really they didn't seem much more impressive than super battle droids. If one of them had ripped Cara Dune's heart out or somethig then they would have been scary.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
R2-D2 rolls up to Cara's body and shocks her with his electric prod thing. "I guess she's truly dead, buddy" says Luke "and will definitely never appear in a spin-off show now."

whisky

Boobie inspector
Did they eliminate the male Mando who was with Starbuck so they could have an all female commando squad?

CaptainWacky

They had enough characters, Koska Reeves is more visually interesting.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Anyone else get a star trek 5 vibe from the shuttle crash landing?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OH that was sweet.

CaptainWacky

THey should just use archive footage from Return of the Jedi and edit new footage around it.

Luke: I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

(Cut to close up of Grogu.)

Grogu: COOKIES!!!!

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
We just haven't reached a fidelity point where we can avoid the uncanny valley of digitally recreating real people with either CG or deepfake technology YET (although deepfake does seem to be slightly better than straight CGI attempts)

Maybe that's a good thing. We have instinctual abilities to detect faces, hence why it's so hard to fake it once in motion. Once we reach the point where it becomes impossible to tell then having younger versions of our favourite TV and film characters come back for cameos will be the least of anybody's worries with what the applications could be used for.

Some people saying they would have preferred to have Sebastian Stan play Luke instead, and I dunno. He does look a lot like Mark Hamill when he was younger and with the get-up and makeup he could for sure do a convincing job although it's still weird because we know Luke so well from that era. I was personally fine with the slightly iffy CG version. It was far from perfect but the payoff was worth it and the show has done everything so well it seems like a waste of time to nitpick something like that. I marked out (pun intended)

CaptainWacky

Yeah if someone else had played Luke then instead of saying "but he's CGI!" we'd be saying "but that's not Mark Hamill!" The only solution is to pluck actors out of the timestream to film new scenes then return them at the moment of departure with their memories erased.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I think as soon as the technology gets better they will simply redo those scenes, if they can get rid of jeans guy in a week, I am sure they can do this.

Also Hammill filed this over a year ago, so it's amazing this never leaked.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Coming to Disney+: Star Wars Babies, featuring Baby Yoda. With Baby Wicket, Baby Chewbacca, and Baby Greedo!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I would watch it!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
He's very cute.

CaptainWacky

People keep asking why he'd have a moustache under his helmet but obviously it's to distract enemies if his helmet ever falls off.