The Mandalorian

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Ming Na-Wen (has she always had “wen” at the end of her name?) is definitely aging backwards now.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Other namesMing-Na
Ming Na
Ming Na Wen
Ming Wen

Yeah she's changed it a few times!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I wonder Wen she’ll change it again.

whisky

Boobie inspector
It's a bit dull and dry, and I expected more from Taika, but that ending!

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I liked it overall, it had a rough start with the really annoying blue guy and tons of fanservice (LIFE DAY THOUGH) but once the actual plot kicked in it was good. I like that the Mandalorian isn't some unstoppable badass and actually seems to have flaws and can be bad at stuff.

The look of the show was very impressive, with stuff like the Blurrgs looking like really well done puppets and not just CGI (I'm sure it was a mix of both). IG-11 was really good and it was actually kind of crazy to see him move about like that in a way which looked so real.

CaptainWacky

Dave Filoni directed it, not Taika. (EDIT: you probably meant since Taika was voicing IG-11, but it would be weird for an IG droid to talk like Korg or something.)

I liked the second half more too once the Nick Nolte alien showed up. I also liked how the Blurrgs moved in a kind of almost jerky stop motion way as it made them feel more real and Star Wars-y than some horrible CGI creation like the fucking Rathtars. And the IG-11 shoot out was really cool. And baby Yoda lol (YADDLE WAS KICKED OUT OF THE JEDI ORDER BECAUSE SHE HAD A SECRET CHILD?)

Not entirely sure why they have to do the "he never takes his helmet off!" thing like he's Dredd or something. It seems like we'll be delving into his backstory a bit (there were brief flashbacks) so that could be helped by actually seeing his face (unlike Dredd who we never want to know anything personal about.) We saw plenty of Mandalorian faces in Clone Wars and they were still cool.

Last edited:

whisky

Boobie inspector
I just thought it was a wasted opportunity when you give someone with a lot of comedic talent no chance to be funny.

Blue alien at the start thought he was on the orville.

As cute as baby Yoda wss, 50 years as a baby seems very impractical, a century of changing nappies?

Does that mean 800 year old Yoda was a teenager?

CaptainWacky

Maybe they start aging normally once they get by the baby stage.

Makes a change from all those Star Trek aliens that look like teenagers when they're eight.

The release schedule for this is slightly weird...

• Episode 2: Friday, Nov. 15, 2019.
  • Episode 3: Friday, Nov. 22, 2019.
  • Episode 4: Friday, Nov. 29, 2019.
  • Episode 5: Friday, Dec. 6, 2019.
  • Episode 6: Friday, Dec. 13, 2019.
  • Episode 7: Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2019.
  • Episode 8: Friday, Dec. 27, 2019.
So mostly on Fridays but one random Wednesday in there.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
That Friday (the 19th Dec) is the US release date of The Rise of Skywalker, so they probably didn't want to clash with that.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
It was really, really good. I wanted to watch it again as soon as it finished to pick up on some of the details I missed.

phlhe52atby31.jpg

This makes me very happy as well.

CaptainWacky

"Get somce Maclunkey in there!"

whisky

Boobie inspector
5bff131edde8675acc1e6d0a

whisky

Boobie inspector
Episode two was a lot better, especially if you are a fan of sandcrawlers.

Baby Yoda confirmed for jedi.

CaptainWacky

I really like how it appeals to the Star Wars part of my brain with familiar looking things (Jawas! A Sandcrawler! Something that looks a lot like a reek but muddy!) but uses them in new, fun ways and doesn't just fee like a remake (hi TFA!) This is what Clone Wars did too and it's my type of thing.

The Sandcrawler looked great and I really hope there's a making of video when the season is finished because I want to know ALL ABOUT IT and how much the baby Yoda was a puppet and how much it was CGI and other stuff.

Jawas are such weird little dudes I love them.

CaptainWacky

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Episode 2 was also fantastic. The tone, style, direction, photography. It's all on point. They've managed more character work with The Mandalorian than most of the cast of the new films and he hasn't even taken his helmet off. Love that he's obviously a badass but gets his ass kicked a lot as well.

I also love that they are not overloading everything with fluff and exposition. The lone wolf gun-slinger with the cub just works and as much as I want the episodes to be longer they didn't feel the need to add 15 extra minutes here to tell this simple story.

The different colour scheme for the Jawas to differentiate them from the ones on Tatooine was a nice touch. You can just tell there is a ton of care going into everything.

Force capable baby Yodel. Pretty hype, not gonna lie.

In two episodes this series has reignited my waning love of Star Wars. I'm fully onboard.

CaptainWacky

They were totally extracting midichlorians from Baby Yoda.

The action scenes on this are really good. I remember when Clone Wars would do scenes like all the bit with all the Mandalorians flying in at the end and I'd think "it'll never happen but it would be great if we got stuff like this in live action!" And now we're getting it in live action!