The New Mutants

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
That Lockheed teaser pushed it over the edge!

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
The box office results are in: The New Mutants is the #1 movie in America

Interesting. a friend of mine went to see it and he said it blew hard.

#1 is not a big deal right now with so many theaters playing old movies to keep the screens hot.

CaptainWacky

So five years after the trailer and two years after release I finally watched this (on Disney+.)

The long awaited verdict: It's not very good. It looks like a pilot for a tv show rather than a movie. The characters spend the first half just sitting around a drab looking building telling each other their backstories in the most straightforward way possible. Danni Moonstar is kind of the lead character but she's played by the weakest actress and is pretty dull. Every character is just one thing only; Cannonball is a miner who only ever talks about mining and carries around a LUMP OF COAL. Sunspot is horny. Anya Taylor-Joy as Illyana SHOULD be great but they have her act like a racist mean girl for most of it and barely touch on the fact that she grew up in Hell. It gets a bit better once they start using their powers and stuff but the horror isn't very scary and most other X-Men movies had more thrilling superhero stuff so what's the point, really? It's probably not the worst X-Men movie though! It isn't actually actively terrible or anything, it just doesn't do anything interesting.

There's a bit where they're wathcing Buffy's 'Hush' on tv which is a huge mistake as it just reminds you how much better that 20 year old episode of tv was than this modern movie.

CaptainWacky

I was trying to manifest.