I didn't know when Janeway's birthday was, but Kate Mulgrew does:

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
VOYAGER’S Captain Janeway Honored in Her Future Birthplace - Nerdist

JanewayMonumentRender-907x680.jpeg

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The Doctors are always in...

(click around, it's the middle of a longer thread)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Bring back the Klingon theme from TMP; base all aspects of Klingon character around this theme.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I’ve been rewatching TOS lately. Talk about uneven. Where No Man Has Gone Before is excellent. Just so well written. But the following few episodes (even Man Trap and Miri which I thought I liked) are such slogs to get through. I’m facing the worrying conclusion that my attention span now is shorter than it was when I watched these as a child.

The Question

Eternal
I’ve been rewatching TOS lately. Talk about uneven. Where No Man Has Gone Before is excellent. Just so well written. But the following few episodes (even Man Trap and Miri which I thought I liked) are such slogs to get through. I’m facing the worrying conclusion that my attention span now is shorter than it was when I watched these as a child.

It could also simply be that, as a kid, you hadn't seen them before -- or at least hadn't seen them already so often that you had every second of them memorized.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
1) They're in rotation on "Heroes & Icons." Got watching during the Season 3 Fred Freiberger run and that gets to be a slog: Space hippies. Spock's brain gets stolen. The black and white guy hates the white and black guy. It's always something zany. But then it rolled around to the beginning. And when you've gotten accustomed to Season 3, "The Man Trap" is painfully corny. But it gradually wears off and you can enjoy them. Probably when we get back to Season 3, I'll enjoy them for a bit before they start wearing. Kind of like watching Voyager. It took me years to realize how much it sucked. TNG was something you made plans around. So obviously VOY must be too. But one day I had a conflict and realized I just didn't care. I did watch the series finale. That's time I'll never get back.

Anyways, the attention span thing. I was just thinking on that today. I needed to transplant a water lily. In Olden Dayes you'd have had to find a book on gardening that had water lilies in it and then read about them until you found the bit on transplanting (if there was one). Now you just Google "transplant water lily" pick the first 3 results, skim them, and you're good to go. I used to have Newton's Telecom Dictionary on my bookshelf, along with another "bible" that I can't even remember the name of anymore and am too lazy to go up in the attic and look at. If you wanted to do something, you had to pore through the books and figure out how to do something. One day a coworker was asking me if you could have a server at location X and clients at location Y and I got out the Other Bible and started trying to figure it out and said, "You know what? Not only will Google have the answer, I'll probably be able to find actual schematics on how to set it up." We live in an era of instant gratification and shallow expertise. No point in learning how to do something when Google will tell you how to do whatever you want whenever you want in under 5 minutes.

CaptainWacky

Soon they won't need real actors at all...

McCoy not knowing what "bisexual" means is still weird.

Last edited:

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Thoughts from a horrible TNG cold open: The Doctor is treating Riker for a scratch on the forehead and berating him for engaging in sketchy holodeck adventures. Riker ultimately reveals that the ship's android's cat did it. And the opening only gets more boring from there. The point is, a big part of Dr. Crusher's day is apparently treating holodeck injuries. The good thing is, being holograms, she only has to treat the injuries, not extract the object from the subject. "COMPUTER! END PROGRAM!" And whatever you're stuck in or is stuck in you disappears. [techman]

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
In today's riveting TNG cold open: the surly alien security officer was taking the space minivan back from the martial arts/fencing tournament he won first place in and was annoyed when the crew surprised him with a birthday party. But then he was confused because he thought the cake was chocolate but it was yellow.

Fucking *riveting.* I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Meanwhile the classic episode before it was "The Trouble With Tribbles," which, while not heavy and cerebral like "The City on the Edge of Forever" or "Balance of Terror," but still much more interesting than the surly alien security officer and the ship's psychologist talking about her being his son's godmother.

CaptainWacky

That actually was a great TNG episode.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
That's a little bit the point: it can be a great episode, but the cold open is so goddamned boring you stop watching before the story picks up.

CaptainWacky

I for one am fascinated by mysterious slightly altered bithday cakes.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Season 7 sucked because I don't like mint frosting.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Chocolate frosting, except it makes your poop green.