Thor: Ragnarok

The Question

Eternal
If he was a character on Sesame Street, he'd be Mr. Snuffleuppaluffalo.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
CATE BLANCHETT OWNS OUR ASSES.

ALL OUR ASSES.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
It looks like it'll be fun! THOR IS STILL HOT.

CaptainWacky

I really like that round spaceship they're flying.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
It's good that literally every aspect of this film looks amazing because it makes up for Natalie and Kat not being in it!

The Question

Eternal
It was funny how Trek Movie retweeted the trailer with "before Chris Hemsworth returns in Star Trek 4, see him in Thor!" as if that movie's actually happening.

As if to imply that their uninspired crap is soooooo much more noteworthy than Thor: Ragnarok, which looks like -- unlike yet another JJTrek pukefest -- it won't, you know, suck.

CaptainWacky

Bump for anyone who's seen it but can't find this thread.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Who was the bitter arch-rival of the creation of Mychael Knight on Project Runway, Captain Save-a-ho.
Mychael Knight died last week, he was only 39. :(

I'm never mentioning another pop culture figure again for fear I'll be killing them.

The Question

Eternal
Mychael Knight died last week, he was only 39. :(

I'm never mentioning another pop culture figure again for fear I'll be killing them.

Don't worry -- they'll bring him back, give him plastic surgery, a new name, and a talking car.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I liked it, its a funny film, not as funny as guardians of the galaxy, but its up there.

I think I know why lady Sif wasnt in the film now.

The warriors three, and pretty much every other warrior on Asgard is killed, bar Hiemdall

CaptainWacky

Jaimie Alexander was busy with her tv show.

CaptainWacky

I saw it today it was really good.

The first act has some ropey stuff, mainly the scene of Odin's death kind of being ruined by the bad green-screening (it was a last minute reshoot apparently.) The new tone took a bit of getting used to since it does feel really different from the previous movies. Thor almost feels like a different character at times, but Hemsworth is so good at comedy that he makes it work. The first two of the Warriors Three died so fast that it was hard to even recognise them and for it to register.

Anthony Hopkins briefly playing Loki was fun.

Hela's introduction could have been better as Odin just saying "you have an evil sister by the way" was a bit weak. Maybe it should have started with a flashback showing her fucking people up with Odin. But I liked the scene with her revealing the old murals under Odin's whitewashed ones. Blanchett was very good (and sexy!) even if the character didn't have a lot of depth.

Everything on Sakaar was great! I loved the look of it. All the cool aliens and monsters (there was a guy with three heads!) Goldblum just being Goldblum. Korg. The whole build-up to the fight (okay maybe would have been better if the trailer hadn't given away Hulk was in the movie but they were hardly going to keep that a secret.) Thor and Hulk as squabbling roommates...it was all great. This is the kind of stuff I like the most from Marvel movies.

Thor and Loki's relationship was a joy as always.

Tessa Thompson was Tessa Awesome as Valkyrie. One of the best female characters in the MCU already and I hope we see a lot more of her going forward.

Karl Urban was good as Skurge but when you think about it his storyline was kind of unneeded? You could take him out of the movie and it wouldn't have made much difference. Maybe if his sacrifice had inspired one of the main characters or something it would have worked better.

It's weird that such a funny movie was also one with the biggest changes to the MCU, with Asgard being frigging destroyed and Thor losing an eye and everything!

Other than some dodgy greenscreening there were some beautiful shots (like Thor in the jaws of a fire dragon or whatever it was.)

The music was good!

So yeah this was a good movie.

whisky

Boobie inspector
In the first trailer it looked like the hammer was destroyed in new York, then its suddenly a big open field in Norway instead, I guess no collateral damage that way.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The Hulk being shown in every trailer was definitely to the detriment of the film in story terms, because the identity of the champion Thor’s going to fight is given so much tension and build up, which is a completely wasted effort.

I liked that The Hulk had a personality, anyway. Not quite sure what’s made him so talkative now but it’s welcome as he’s not very interesting otherwise (I was going to say he’s the most boring Avenger before I remembered Hawkeye).

The bad green screen of Odin was really distracting. It looked like a low budget youtubers attempt. Anthony Hopkins is always good value for money anyway. The scene with him as Loki watching the play with the other Hemsworth brother and Sam Neil was really funny.

The shots of the Valkyries fighting Hera were beautiful.

Thor’s eye makeup was oddly bad. Like they just painted his eye black. I get the feeling that was an afterthought. In the trailers there are shots from th4 end of the movie where he has both eyes. So they either CGed his eye back in for those, or CGed it out in the final film.

Goldblum.

I liked that they brought Thor into the wider sci-fi universe, with the planet having a very Guardians of the Galaxy feel to it. Though it does all make Asgard seem a lot less special.

Cate Blanchett did a fine job, but as a villain Hera was pretty cheesy and underdeveloped. And I don’t just mean underdeveloped as a person, but I mean it wasn’t very clear to me how powerful she really was in relation to Thor and therefore how much of a threat she was.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
YEAH I LIKED IT TOO.

I felt like it took a while for it to shake off the baggage of the second film, having to deal with Loki pretending to be Odin and what happened to Odin before the actual plot could start properly. And the Doctor Strange stuff was fun but felt totally unnecessary and I think it just slowed the first act down too much. But I did like how little of a shit the film actually gave about the plots of the previous Thor films, especially when it just killed off the Warriors Three without a second though (and this is from someone who actually likes Thor 1 quite a bit).

But once it did it was very good! Tessa Thompson is amazing and has great arms and should be in every Marvel film. All of the Sakaar stuff was very good but in some ways it felt like Taika Waititi just wanted to make a cool science fiction film with Chris Hemsworth and had to work around all of the baggage of it being a Marvel film.

It was also good that they just let Jeff Goldblum do his thing and be great just by being Jeff Goldblum.

Chris Hemsworth was also really good and since basically the entire film lives or dies on his charisma it's a very good thing that he's really fucking charismatic.

I also liked Cate Blanchett and her hair spikes. Karl Urban was good because he's Karl Urban but his character was kind of wasted. I mean as soon as he teamed up with Hela it was so obvious he was going to turn back I didn't really see the point.

BUT YEAH I LIKED IT.