US commanders admit: we face a Vietnam-style collapse

Tyrant

Cranky Bastard

You bet your ass we do. I've been saying for almost 2 years that Iraq will degrade into a civil war (and it has). Also said we shouldn't be there when all the other "conservatives" thought it wasn't a patriotic thing to claim.

Comes down to this back then, and also now: democracy cannot ever mix with Islam. Islam is a political religion. You cannot separate the political from Islam. Democracy is only a political construct. By itself, nothing religious about it. But asking muslims to adop democracy is tantamount to forcing them to renouce Islam.

It cannot work and we're wasting our manpower attempting to "convert" muslims away from their religion. Destined to failure.

Acrimonious

U.S. People admit: We face a Vietnam style media campaign.

Let's face it, if you bash on the war long enough and associate the president with that war (and rightly so) and also associate the republican party with that war (not correct in every case) you'll end up with Democrats in office.

Geee, that's just what happened.

That being said, I can't stand Bush, and I've been against the war since it started. I liked pounding the shit out of Afghanistan, but when the U.S. moved on into Iraq I was very annoyed with the politicians calling the shots.

It's not necessarily a Vietnam style war. There are huge differences. In Vietnam the Chinese were supporting the NVA, and the NVA were an official enemy, they wore uniforms, had issued gear and weapons, and were the tool of a government. The only problem with Vietnam was the liberal congress and liberal media that prevented us from going into China and bombing the crap out of them as well. The Ho-Chi-Minh trail started in China, and we needed to get to the root of that problem. We never did.

In Iraq we're fighting "terrorists." Terrorists don't have uniforms, aren't issued weapons, and aren't officially sponsored by any governmental agency. They're not using a military convoy to transport their arms, they're getting them on the black market. You can't fight terror with conventional wartime tactics. They don't follow any of the normal "rules" of war.

It's apples and oranges, but it was still a mistake. It was political suicide for the republican party.