Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I haven't actually watched anything on Netflix recently but nobody ever cancels Netflix(?) so I'm sure I'll watch something else eventually.

Also I'll probably only watch things after doing a search on the name of an actress I like.

Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist - I only watched this after searching for Kat Dennings. It was okay. I'm sure some of the characters were "hipsters" so Dr_Dave will hate it, but the asshole characters were supposed to be assholes. Kat Dennings was good in it. Michael Cera was fine, though his character was a bit boring and they didn't take advantage of his excellent comedy timing seen in Arrested Development. Watch if you like Kat Dennings.

Tomorrow When The War Began - I only watched this because Fuddlemiff was watching it. It's about Australian kids fighting off evil Asian invaders, somehow. Pretty silly movie. But seeing Australians doing things is automatically more interesting than seeing anyone else doing things due to their hilarious accents. Mild recommendation if you have nothing else to watch.

Adventureland - I only watched this because I started finding Kristen Stewart attractive and wanted to prove to myself that she can actually be a good actress. She was good in this! Jesse "not as hot as Michael Cera" Eisenberg was good too as the lead. As an actual movie I'd recommend this most highly out of the three I'm reviewing tonight. Not life-changing but a good little film.

WOW I'M EXHAUSTED AFTER WRITING THESE INDEPTH REVIEWS.

Filthy Whore

Mad Arse Face
Jesse Eisenberg is WAY hotter than Cera. And I thought Tomorrow was incredibly stupid but still sort of entertaining.

Watch "Orange is the New Black" or "House of Cards". Or Breaking Bad.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I liked Adventureland. Especially wet shirtless Jesse at the end.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Adventureland is a great flick. And has an awesome soundtrack as well.

Filthy Whore

Mad Arse Face
It's on amazon prime! Really liking it so far but had to stop it to come here to comment that that's the worst cover of a Foreigner song I've ever heard. hahaha

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Thank God for Amazon Prime, right? -- Netflix is really lacking for people who only stream.

CaptainWacky

I'll watch more stuff once Big Brother ends.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I'm currently watching this fun little documentary about Firefly/Serenity on Netflix, all about the fan community, cast and how the movie came about. It's a bit self congratulatory, but it's good natured throughout (well, ok, Orson Scott Card shows up a couple of times talking about executing people). It's good natured almost throughout and made me go "awwwww" quite a few times.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0838164/?ref_=sr_1

CaptainWacky

I might watch that, though Browncoats are kind of annoying sometime (well, a small majority of them...ones who posted on TrekBBS anyway.)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Some of them start getting emotional while describing how they found out it was cancelled, so yeah, they're riding a thin line between passionate and making you want to slap them through the screen.

One guy claims to have bought 70 boxsets to give out to family and friends.

CaptainWacky

Yeah fuck them.

Also I guess all the "The Hobbit is too long" criticisms were bang on the money as I still can't be bothered watching it.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Mmm. I saw it in the cinema and liked it, but I can't justify spending nearly 3 hours of my evening watching it again.

CaptainWacky

Is it only 13 minutes longer? That's a bit stingy.

(I'll probably buy the extended edition eventually when I finally have a blu-ray player.)

CaptainWacky

Hansel and Gretal: Witch Hunters - So I got an email from Netflix today telling me that this movie was available. How do they decide which movies to email me about? Did they know that that though of Gemma Afterton in leather trousers would intrigue me? Somehow it worked and I ended up watching it. I just thought "well, it's on Netflix, I might as well watch it." I think Netflix makes you much more likely to watch bad movies just because all you have to do is click on them. Anyway, it wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either. It only lasted 88 minutes (and about eight minutes for credits so 80 really) so there wasn't much time for things like "character devleopment" or "story". It didn't seem to know what it wanted to be either. It seemed like maybe it was a comedy but it wasn't very funny. The action was good in places but never really went all out crazy. There was swearing to make it "adult" but it wasn't needed (I guess the "gore" made it adult too but it was just the generic "a witch explodes and its guts splatter everywhere" scene again and again and it did nothing for me.) There was a comic relief character who looked like he was about to grope an unconscious Gemma Arterton? Gemma Arterton and Hawkeye were supposed to be the same age but he's 15 years older than her? Why did they have guns? Just a weird movie but again fairly watchable. What will they email me about next!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Did they email you about Real Steel as well? I put it on my watch list since it has robots even though it looked rubbish in the trailers.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Real Steel has been on cable a bunch, and I haven't been able to make myself sit through the entire movie. I LOVE ROBOTS, I should love Real Steel. :rwmad:

CaptainWacky

No, but I've already seen Real Steel. It was okay if you think of it as a cheesey eighties kids movie. It was a bit too long but lots of training montages and robots dancing. I liked it better than Hanzel and Gretel anyway.