WandaVision

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

I guess this'll be the only MCU thing that comes out this year and it looks like a good one!

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

Uhh this looks great.

CaptainWacky

If Wandavision isn't good then we can just completely write off 2021 as well.

CaptainWacky

Two episodes tomorrow.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Seen the second, they are good, but this would make a very strange entry point to anyone who was new to marvel.

CaptainWacky

I enjoyed it. It helped that Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany were really good at doing the sitcommy type acting and actually making it genuinely funny (that magic show!) I liked the guy with the sad moustache and Agnes always going on about her lousy husband (who we never see.) I liked how the first episode had no framing device at all and was basically a total sitcom right up until it got creepy at the end. But I did like the second episode more as it took things further and the forementioned magic show was the highlight of both. I imagine they put up both this week becaus they're the most sitcommny episodes and it'll get progressively weirder from here. Probably!

I think that's the first time I've seen Emma Caulfield since Buffy it's good she's still around.

Pretty sure it was Jimmy Woo's voice saying "who's doing this to you, Wanda?" and Darcy watching on the tv at the end of the first episode.

Why does Disney+ have seven minutes of credits they include in the runtime (Mandalorian had this too.)

whisky

Boobie inspector
I spent the first episode trying to work out where I knew the older lady from.

It's Phoebe's brothers much older wife.

The magic show was the highlight for me too.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah I thought this was good, Lizzie Olsen and Paul Bettany are both really fucking good actors so just watching them do literally anything is worth it.

I like the vibe they're going for but I think it was a bit un-subtle at times. "Oh this looks like a 60's sitcom but ~WHAT IF SOMETHING... DARK... HAPPENED OOOooOOOooOOOOooooHH~ WEIRD HUH???".

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I don't know what is happening, but Elizabeth Olsen is great and hopefully I will figure it all out!

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I really liked it. It helps that I used to love all the shows it directly riffs like The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Dream of Jeannie, I Love Lucy, and Bewitched so I found it completely delightful on just that level without needing for the obvious mystery of their situation being explained straight away. Those shows were of course dated to a previous era even when I used to watch reruns as a kid so it's a bold choice knowing that a very large chunk of their audience will have no nostalgic frame of reference to what it's sending up.

Marvel's recent offerings have an outrageously successful formula that can be accused of being "paint-by-numbers" to an extent so it was nice that they're trying something so different with this and I was thoroughly entertained although I'm interested to see how it's received because I can see a lot of people being confused by it.

I am a Marvel fan but a casual one so I'm sure there are plenty of little easter eggs beyond Sword, Shield, Hydra, and Stark industry nods that people picked up on but the one thing I did notice is that they were pushing Wanda having children as the main theme which of course becomes a thing at the end of the second episode. Whatever reality she's in she seems to have some control over it as well.

Bettany and Olsen are great and fun to watch as was Kathryn Hahn and it was nice to see Emma Caulfield!

Looking forward to seeing where they take it from here.

CaptainWacky

Wanda definitely seems to have at least subconscious control over what's going on. Obviously she turned back time, but also the woman seemed to be saying "stop that!" directly to Wanda rather than her husband while he was choking.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Question for the group, is the appearance of J Jonah Jameson at the end of the last Spiderman film a hint that the multiverse is already starting to cross over?

We don't know how long after endgame the events of Wanda vision take place in.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I loved the first episode. Paul Bettany is one of my favorites and his range is remarkable as he matures.

Elizabeth Olsen was great and the writing was interesting. My wife (who turned me on to this because of Bettany) had no idea what was going on so I had the pleasure of explaining it to her.

whisky

Boobie inspector
My wife enjoyed it as a bewitched homage, and is not looking forward to the overarching story reveal.