Watched Serentiy

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Pretty good.

GOOD THINGS

- Nathan Fillion. Best thing about Firefly, best thing about the movie. Fantastic performance all the way. Mal Reynolds is the coolest new sci-fi character since Watto.

- The guy who played the Operative was great too. I'm not going to attempt to spell his name.

- Jayne! Has some funny lines and a few good Jayne moments (not as many as I would have liked though) and Adam Baldwin was great as always.

- Good story. The whole "Miranda" thing was a bit more Star Trek than Firefly but I didn't mind that.

- Good special effects, not Star Wars level or anything but all very nice. Would have liked to have seen more of the Reavers/Alliance fleet battle but I know they were on a budget and the scene was about the Serenity getting to Miranda.

BAD THINGS

- It didn't really "feel" like Firefly a lot of the time. Something was missing and I can't quite put my finger on what.

- Not enough Book, not enough Inara. Her relationship with Mal was almost totally absent. I did watch the deleted scenes and she had some good stuff there. It was kind of like what happened to Pamde in ROTS, actually, only more so.

- Kaylee was annoying. She didn't have the same edge that she had in the series.

- River turning all Buffy. Pointless. She did look kind of cool cutting Reavers up and stuff but it's all been seen before...in Buffy.

- Some continuity issues with the series in that River seemed to have regressed to her pre-"Objects In Space" state and the Reavers were a bit different...didn't hurt the movie though.

So it was very good, not as good as Episode 3 of course, but I would watch a sequel in the unlikely event that one is made.

CaptainWacky

Agreed. But you should probably rent Serenity at some point next year...except you won't be on TK then to tell me about it, so I won't care.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
An Angel movie would be better that four-fifths of all movies that have ever been filmed.

CaptainWacky

Better than The Phantom Menace/

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
CaptainWacky said:
Agreed. But you should probably rent Serenity at some point next year...except you won't be on TK then to tell me about it, so I won't care.

Fair enough.

CaptainWacky

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, I saw the link in my thread at TBBS. I actually saw it a long time ago back in my TFN days. I read it all again anyway and read his thoughts on AOTC that wasn't there last time I went. Great writer and great dissertations. And of course he's right if perhaps a "little" more pro than I am. Though not by much.

He's very right about the established mythology and the amount of information that isn't even spoken in the movies tht we take for granted because we know the universe so well. TPM is a great movie. I have watched it tons of times. Despite all it's problems I have still watched it all those times. Lucas is a genius.

CaptainWacky

Do you think any of the "bashers" in that thread will actually read the site? I doubt it.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Even if they do they will never be swayed. They are too certain of there "intelligence" and how utterly right and snobbish they are.

CaptainWacky

Oh well.