What a difference a decent HDMI cable makes.

The Question

Eternal
Eventually I suppose I'll also have to bite the bullet and put a dedicated GPU in this thing, which will also require upgrading the PSU. HP, for some reason, has gone and started putting proprietary power supplies in their desktops. This machine being a Customize-To-Order unit, I could have got it with its stock 180-watt PSU or a 400-watt unit. I went with the 180-watt when I bought it, both to keep the total cost under the $600 that came via stimcheck but also in hopes of getting them to just ship the "stock" unit faster. (Spoiler: they didn't ship it any faster lol)

Luckily, the more powerful PSU is just a few dollars shy of $80, so that part's easily affordable. A dedicated GPU, on the other hand, is anything but.

The Question

Eternal
As far as what I'll be able to do with it. Other than Scrivener for long-form writing, pretty much every other Windows productivity application is hot, wet garbage. So the majority of that horsepower will be going toward games -- and all the games I like are older than Betty White's first tent-like bullet bra. Postal 2, Borderlands 2, Fallout New Vegas. Still, a dedicated GPU might let me explore a few newer old games like GTA V and Fallout 4.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
My desktop handles games easily. it has a dedicated AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT with 16G ram. It also does the dishes and gives me a bj occasionally.

jack

Speaking of Betty White, you know this is the last year she can play with LEGO's?

71g8UrZY54L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Once you lose your LEGO privileges, what point is there going on?

The Question

Eternal
My desktop handles games easily. it has a dedicated AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT with 16G ram. It also does the dishes and gives me a bj occasionally.

Eh. No kill like overkill, right? I'll probably settle for an Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti. Seems like more than plenty for the kind of games I go for. I think probably the most resource-intensive game I have any interest in is Borderlands 3 -- maybe Elite Dangerous will want the same kind of horsepower, but I doubt it.

The Question

Eternal
Speaking of Betty White, you know this is the last year she can play with LEGO's?

71g8UrZY54L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Pretty sure she'll disregard that guideline just like she's been disregarding the Grim Reaper.

Oerdin

Meanwhile it seems the power supply to my two year old pc has gone bad. You press the on button and you just get an orange flashing light. I am going to see if this can be fixed then give it to my stepson (as he uses it far more than I do) and then buy a new computer for me.

It is a shame parts start to break so quickly on modern Dell computers.

The Question

Eternal
Meanwhile it seems the power supply to my two year old pc has gone bad. You press the on button and you just get an orange flashing light. I am going to see if this can be fixed then give it to my stepson (as he uses it far more than I do) and then buy a new computer for me.

Probably cheaper to just get a new PSU -- unless the PSU having gone bad has fried other parts, which I believe I've read is a possibility.

jack

I like Borderlands 2...I play it on my PS3 when I get REALLY bored.

jack

Planned obsolescence

The Question

Eternal
That, and cheap Chinese parts. Don't misunderstand, I'm well aware that Apple also uses Chinese parts. Just not the cheap ones, apparently. lol

The Question

Eternal
Aaaaand now I've fallen down the Fallout modding rabbit hole. The Mohave Wasteland is about to be full of busty bitches. Meanwhile, it's me dressed up as Deadpool and wielding a Star Trek V "assault phaser" pistol versus the Wasteland. lmfao

jack

I just got Tyrion to gold level commander status in Game of Thrones: Winter is Coming :bigass:

Kind of a big deal gamewise.

The Question

Eternal
Never got into Game of Thrones.

I do see, though, where a 2Tb SSD is gonna come in REAL handy if I keep on with the games, particularly adding mods to 'em. My Fallout: New Vegas folder alone weighs in at about 16.7Gb now. lol