Why does Hogwarts teach Divination anyway?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It's pretty clearly shown to be a load of shite in the books and movies and Trelawney is either a fraud or an idiot (but we're supposed to feel bad for her when she's fired, aww!) so why does Dumbledore (or the wizard school board or whoever) waste time with the classes at all? I BET YOU'VE ALL BEEN WANTING TO DISCUSS THIS FOR YEARS.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Isn't it against the law to hate Emma Thompson in Britain and its territories?

They teach divination for all the loser wizards who aren't predestined for greatness or have relatives in the Ministry, so that they can open a fortune telling shop near a pier, or next to a B&B or boarding house by the sea. Otherwise they end up like Luna's family.

CaptainWacky

Angela Lansbury should have played Umbridge.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The Manchurian Hufflepuff!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I wasn't quite as thrilled as my fellow gays were about her Mama Rose in Gypsy.

But I fooking LOVED her as a batshit mean mom in Taking Woodstock. And underrated Ang Lee gem.

CaptainWacky

Hermione was hot in Order of the Phoenix at least!

(Checks production date against her DOB...yeah, it's fine.)

CaptainWacky

I'd unself her partnership (or something.) :sarek:

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
It's a loooong story, but period specific to the BBC play, this is a pretty good summary:

Ted and Gina are my grandparents.

As much of a surprise as it is to me, --as to anyone-- I retain some of the most valuable lesbian and gay memorabilia in existence. So much so that in 2020 I will be donating a portion of my historical painting collection to the first dedicated gay history museum in London. It's still a thing.

CaptainWacky

It's cool that you can be linked to Shakin' Stevens!

CaptainWacky

Menty do you have any antique dildos.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I don't but if anyone cares, the story is way more fun than those two links. I relied on my butch lesbian ex-US airforce (THEN) confident (and adopted family) Smithy (who adored me as much as I did her) to make sure the family put on E.T at Christmas instead of whatever they wanted. We always won. Imagine this group of maniacs with the new child, made from the rebellious child (mother) that went to Greece and had a kid. That's me. MissManners knew what she was doing. I'm good at presiding over things. I have history.

CaptainWacky

I love how lesbian sex was so alien to Beryl Reid that "close like baked beans" was the only way she could describe it.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
The best part of all of my mad family history (which I enjoy) is that it has literally has nothing to do with me. I was a pretty good prop at the end though. Still., It's a great story.

CaptainWacky

That's what Harry Potter thought too!

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

Hermione was hot in Order of the Phoenix at least!

(Checks production date against her DOB...yeah, it's fine.)

Hot damn the potion mixing montage in Half Blood Prince (a bad movie where nothing happens) when her hair gets all messy...

(They show a Potter movie on tv every Sunday, sorry. BAKED BEANS.)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Potter is on every weekend here as well. The channel that shows it keeps changing but it's rarely not on.

I'm surprised they don't chop them all up into 1-hour episodes and make a full-length series out of them.