Wonder Woman 1984

whisky

Boobie inspector
Also you have to admire the irony of Mando giving up everything is save his son.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Well that was certainly...a thing. It felt like they were going for the tone of a Richard Donner Superman movie at first, and I could have been fine with that if it wasn't so slow and dull for the first hour or more. Like I don't need constant action but after the silly mall scene* there isn't any action until the Egypt bit over an hour later. And that wasn't great either.

Gadot is at her best when she's interacting with Pine, they do have good chemistry together and you can see why they brought him back. She's not as good when she has to talk for more than a couple of sentences at a time. And man it's weird how they just don't mention the fact that Steve is in someone else's body and are fine with using that body so they can fuck.

On the plus side Kristen Wiig was really good, even though her character development was way too drawn out and she only turned into Cheetah for a mediocre two minute fight that didn't really have any effect on the plot. She was like Mickey Rourke in Iron Man 2 with better acting. Pedro Pascal was really cartoonish so it was hard to care when he finally realised that he loved his son.

The scene where she learned how to fly was good and if I was a kid watching it in the eighties it would have felt like a big deal maybe.

I laughed when it cut to an English woman being racist to an Irish guy but I don't think it was supposed to be funny.

There was absolutely no reason this story needed two and a half hours to be told.

My interest in Rogue Squadron is pretty low now (though I guess Disney will just take over if it's not looking good.)

*What was the robber's plan? "Let me out or I'll drop the girl over the rail!" But he couldn't hold her over the rail all the way out!

Last edited:

whisky

Boobie inspector
Did you notice the bit where she is in her normal clothes in a car, then gets out and is just in her costume with no explanation of the change.

CaptainWacky

It did very briefly show her slipping out of her clothes and she had the costume underneath, though I don't think those clothes would have been able to hide that costume really.

Another thing, why was this even set in the eighties? Aside from the obligatory "look a mall!" stuff there was nothing about the story that needed to be in 1984. They didn't even play any eighties music.

whisky

Boobie inspector
So none of the other heroes could be in it, the only one even born would be Bruce and he probably still had his parents then. Music rights can be very expensive, and they paid Gal Godot 10 million.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. That was actually terrible. Wonder Woman 84 isn't just a bad film, it's a fundamentally broken one. I'm trying to consolidate my thoughts but there are so many things wrong with this film, from the direction, acting, insanely stupid plot holes, the script as a whole, tone, SFX... It's hard to focus. Yeah, it's BAD.

It felt like they were going for the tone of a Richard Donner Superman movie at first

As dumb cheesy as the mall scene was the bumbling robbers and silly OTT set-pieces sort of lull you into thinking this is going to be a silly but ultimately fun romp but that is abandoned immediately anyway for this incoherent, dull, and dragging mess of a film that follows that tries a lot of things and fails miserably at literally all of them.

Gal Gadot can't act. You don't need an Oscar-winning performance to play a comic book hero but you need more than she can deliver here. Everything she says is stilted, tonally off, and carries no weight or emotion even when she's trying to lay it on thick. Even in the action scenes, she looks like she's doing a magazine shoot in every frame. I dunno, her whole performance leaves you feeling cold.

Kristen Wiig as Barbara is, we're led to believe, a nerdy loser that nobody pays attention to because she's a bit clumsy and wears glasses which apparently makes her ugly (LOL)

Wait until you take them off!

Just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to one-dimensional cookie-cutter stereotype characters.

Wiig can actually act (something that becomes even more starkly clear in every scene with Gadot) but nobody was saving this abomination and her character arc is as dumb as the rest of the film although at least not wanting to give up her new life and powers makes at least some sort of narrative sense which is more than can be said for anybody else motivations.

Pedro hams it up and it's obvious why he's a leading man, he's eminently watchable and looks like he's having some fun with Max although even he struggles by the time we hit the third act with his character just becoming so stupid and chaotic that it falls apart.

THE PLOT HOLES.

Jesus fucking Christ. HOW do these script treatments make it this far as to actually be filmed? There are so many nonsensical things in the plot that it boggles the mind.

Let's steal a modern fighter jet and somehow fly it from D.C to fucking EGYPT in one scene.

You used to fly props in 1914, Steve?

Don't worry you'll be fine with this fucking F-111.

As stupid as that is it probably doesn't even make the top 10 of egregious nonsensical shit we see in this film.

Aside from the obligatory "look a mall!" stuff there was nothing about the story that needed to be in 1984. They didn't even play any eighties music.

There was no point in it at all. We get Steve's fish out of water story AGAIN but like everything else, it doesn't work. Oh, look a train! Oh, look, fireworks!

Huh?

What the fuck was all that unnecessary weirdness with Steve inhabiting another random guy's body?

Like Wiig and Pedro, Pine can actually act but yeah you can only do so much with the state of this script.

The entire premise of the film being about wishing is something we've seen in plenty of films before but even in the bad ones, they have more fun with the concept than anything we get in this film. And that's the biggest issue overall. I can take some serious jank, some plot holes (although not this many), and some shaky acting if what I'm watching has some soul and actual fun spirit to it but this does not AT ALL.

It would be remiss not to talk about the cringe either. The first WW had quite a bit of it but this one takes it to a new fucking level. Like Hasselhoff in Baywatch saving homeless people levels.

Why is this film 2 and a half hours long?

Ugh, I've written too much already. It would take longer than this film's inflated runtime to go through everything wrong here and I don't have the energy.

Last edited:

whisky

Boobie inspector
The most annoying thing is they have had this in the can a year, with all the extra delays they could have reedited this, even if they couldn't do reshoots, they could have done ADR. They could have done better FX. Hell they could have just sat on I until they could do reshoots. There was no need to put out a film in this condition.

CaptainWacky

Kristen Wiig as Barbara is, we're led to believe, a nerdy loser that nobody pays attention to because she's a bit clumsy and wears glasses which apparently makes her ugly (LOL)

She looked hotter when she was a nerd and before she started wearing leopard print like a "sexy" woman does.

CaptainWacky

Gal Gagone?

Hey at least Patty Jenkins has time to direct that Star Wars movie they announced and is therefore definitely happening, right?

whisky

Boobie inspector
Is wonder woman gone, or do they just want a better writer, or dare I say it, a better actress.

CaptainWacky

The latest is that Patty Jenkins walked out after the studio didn't like her script.

According to one insider, Jenkins refused and let De Luca and Abdy “know that they were wrong, that they didn’t understand her, didn’t understand the character, didn’t understand character arcs and didn’t understand what Jenkins was trying to do.”

To underscore her point, according to the first insider, Jenkins sent an email to De Luca that ended with a link to the Wikipedia definition of “character arc.”

lol

CaptainWacky

They should do one where Wonder Woman fights an aligator man.