Wordforge's Rule #8

BROWNFOOT

Tch. cupcakea pleez. Yo boi BROWNFOOT has done scanned dat cupcakeapile. Dem cupcakeaz aint nuttn but hoez n trix. Dat aint even touchin onna wee-a-boo quotium which is threw da ROOF boi! Had me a baff hwen I cum back and da wata turnt inna fuckin ramen broth muh fucka!

:scared:

Oerdin

I've now learned my ban has been converted from a permaban to a 90 day ban. I am torn. Part of me feels I have invested over a decade there so I should come back while another part of me thinks the mods are so fucked up I should just stick to greener pastures.

I confess that I have enjoyed my time away, that I have found what I feel are less toxic and more fun boards to spend my time on, but I don't know. If I do come back, which I am not sure I will do, then it will certainly be at a much reduced rate.

The Question

Eternal
I'd let 'em twist. They made a bad call in a long pattern of bad calls, but they'll act like rolling it back is some huge gesture of benevolent magnanimity toward you.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm not banned there, but apart from my Blue Room thread, I only post there very-very infrequently. And mostly when there's a mic drop too good to pass up. Or someone decent has a question that I can help out on.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
I'm banned from the Red Room. Apparently, I'm too hot to let loose there.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm banned from the Red Room. Apparently, I'm too hot to let loose there.
That's how I finally broke ties with TBBS. Apparently you can't say "tranny" in TNZ. Got a verbal. A few days later I got a ban. When I got back I'd been banned from TNZ.

In other words, WF has become TBBS. A smaller, deader TBBS.

The Question

Eternal
Only way I'd ever go back is if one of the owners said, right out in public, "We fucked up. Your banning goes against what this board is supposed to be about. <Anc and then Gul> (in your case different individuals) lost sight of that, but this board was established because we got sick of that behavior. It was wrong for anyone to recreate that behavior here."

Never happen, though. Not for me, and probably not for you, either. Fault is never admitted even when it's glaringly obvious.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Let me just turn that on its side for a second and tell you, in all earnestness, that it was your own fault that you got banned. Would you be prepared to admit that? :marathon:

The Question

Eternal
Let me just turn that on its side for a second and tell you, in all earnestness, that it was your own fault that you got banned. Would you be prepared to admit that? :marathon:

Sure, if it was true. But what I did was simply to not take shit from the other posters. That's only a bannable offense if you stretch Rule #8 to include "being an asshole by not just meekly putting up with us being assholes to you."

Which could maybe fit? But if you cram that into Rule #8, that makes Rule #8 an inherently shit rule.

In the case where Anc banned me, he went full-on banana republic, "ANSWER YES OR NO AND DON'T SAY ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL!"

Fuck that authoritarian horseshit.

In Gul's case, he didn't even have an excuse that flimsy, he just pushed the button because it was within reach and he felt like it.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I rest my case.

Oerdin

Your original banning was bull shit, or at least an over reaction. What really made it permanent was when you revealed Anc's and Chup's real names. Now, most of us already knew those so the real harm was limited (Not to mention TK took the post down with in hours) though it was still petty and a violation on your part. Honestly, I would have forgiven you if just promised to not do it again along with time served but I guess you just really pissed off Anc.

The Question

Eternal
Your original banning was bull shit, or at least an over reaction. What really made it permanent was when you revealed Anc's and Chup's real names.

It was supposed to have been permanent when it happened. The reaction to posting their PI was priceless, though. "Grrraaawwwwwgghhh! Now it's RILLY RILLY SOOPER PERMNINT!" I should remind you, though, that that was after the one Gul pulled with Chup egging things on. That's why those two got punked back and Anc didn't.

Now, most of us already knew those so the real harm was limited (Not to mention TK took the post down with in hours)

Eggs did that at my request because, yeah, in hindsight it struck even me as "stooping to their level."

The Question

Eternal
Yup. Any deviation from lefty dogma -- usually as measured by adherence to speech codes -- must be punished, you know.

Exactly the mindset that board was formed, at least in part, to provide an alternative to. They've become what they rejected. They may as well shut it down.

The Question

Eternal
I'm not immediately sure how that relates to WF and why it reminded you of that place. Might take some deep thinking to follow the connection.

But her story is an inspiring one about the process of breaking out of dogmatic thinking, so maybe that's the starting point.

Oerdin

There is a part in the middle where she talks about demonizing the otherside, assuming the worst of intentions, and how people will attack even their own allies who deviate at all from rigid orthodoxy.

You have to watch the whole thing to get the message and not just sample the first five minutes.