"You gonna get another job?"...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
So this guy cost me around $225 today, because I had to drop my contracting work to try and deal with the mess he made. I'll wind up losing more time this week to it too. As well as actual checks I'll have to write to a lawyer to make sure I don't fuck anything up. And he can't even be bothered to check his e-mail.

He was hoping I could get him a late rent letter before rent was actually late so he could move the paperwork along. I was told I absolutely could NOT send a late rent letter earlier than December 2. Took the time to explain this to him--but I sent it via e-mail rather than text. Checked my phone tonight after work: "Hate to bother you, but did you get the time to do that letter?" Gah.

And of course paranoid me thinks he's trying to trap me but isn't smart enough. This isn't totally paranoid, but I think it is more likely that he's just so goddamned stupid. I dunno. It sucks. And I'm amazed by how blase everyone else seems to be about a tenant springing that they can't pay rent. I guess I haven't dealt with this yet, so it's kind of a big deal to me.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Oh, the other thing about this: If you've read "7 Habits of Highly Effective People," I did a personal mission statement because of that book. I am motivated to help people and solve problems. So if you want to make my brain short circuit like a super computer fighting Captain Kirk, put me in a situation where I HAVE to help a person and solve a problem BUT make the person impossible to help and the problem impossible to solve.

Now if you come to me with some advance notice that you're going to have trouble making rent soon and ask for help, there are options that can be worked though. We can figure out a solution that may not be ideal but that will work. If you come to me 10 days before rent is due and say you can totally pay rent, but would like to get rent assistance from a third party, well that's a lot steeper order. But if you then spring on me that you won't be able to pay rent 2 days before rent is due, there really isn't a whole lot I can do at that point. My hands are pretty much tied until the rent is actually late and then the only thing I can do is threaten to file an evicition in 7 days if rent isn't paid.

Actually, I guess that makes it much simpler. Because I'm still helping someone and solving a problem. I'm helping me get rid of a renter that can't pay rent and getting in someone I can trust.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
You also help that person by teaching him that some things he can't just ride out hoping that someone else is gonna fix it for him. Not that this kind of help is ever appreciated.

Lanzman

No-one of consequence
Just spoke with my property manager. We've had to lower the rent on our Arizona property due to various market issues. Not least of which is that the holidays (Thanksgiving thru New Year, pretty much) are a pretty dead time for real estate stuff. Nobody wants to be moving in the dead of winter, especially over Christmas.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Today's absurdities:

I got a text from my truant renter, thanking me for being so understanding. Haven't been able to get back to him yet, but I'm thinking "yeah, and you'll be hating my guts again as soon as you see the late rent letter. It is NOT a friendly and comforting document."

Meanwhile, a new Month-End accounting checklist gets worked for Omni Consumer Products. I was supposed to do the TPS reports 5 days ago, but forgot because they are no longer time specific and this is the first month I actually had access to the files. So I'm working the time-specific things first and circling back to them when I get time (actually completely forgetting about them until my friend asked about them and then circling back to them).

So a few hours later he asks me how they're coming along because he's getting asked about their status. I tell him I'm about 1/3 of the way in downloading them and ask if I should stop and upload what I've got for now and he says it's just that they show as an incomplete item on the checklist. Now, since they are no longer time sensitive, I offered to spend 2 minutes moving their due date out so they are no longer overdue and he's just like "no, just get them done as quickly as you can." It occurs to me that I could also just mark them as "complete," but that could backfire if I forget them again--or someone actually needs them and they're not there. Ah well, back to it.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
So. Fun evening. Time for dinner, the local news, "Jeopardy!", and a couple classic "Dr. Who" reruns. But first I had to print out my unpaid rent warning letters.

So of course my printer decided this would be a funny time to stop working over the wireless network. After 2 hours of futile troubleshooting with my ISP (and on my own for a bit before and after) I wound up digging out a CAT5 cable--and then a USB cable to get the letters printed.

But while I was monkeying with this, I also dug out Dum-dum's rental application. Not only does he say he makes $4,000 a month on it, but he says he doesn't smoke.

He smokes like a chimney. Was a little annoyed by it when I first realized, but I'd resolved I wouldn't ban someone from smoking in their home. But I'd completely forgotten when I was screening and thinking "oh good, he doesn't smoke."

Well there's a little clause in the lease that says if you lied on the application, the lease is void and I can kick you out on 24 hours notice. So legally I've got him cold.

Practically is another thing. I'm totally in the right and the guy is in a mess he created for himself. But that doesn't matter if he calls a politician or a charity or a TV station and says he's about to be kicked out on the street with his 2 very photogenic kids at Christmastime. Then *I'm* the monster. So we'll see how this pans out. Definitely gotta get with a lawyer and strategerize before going forward.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Heh. Just unwinding with a cocktail and some Sudoku and it hit me: This is all very close to the roles in "Atlas Shrugged." The "looters" and "moochers" treat the...Producers? Heroes? like crap. And then when they're forced into the only possible response, they're treated with contempt for taking advantage of the poor and helpless. Probably not laying that out as clearly as I could, but I've got a Sudoku to get through still. And I'm playing on "Evil" level. (I probably won't solve it in the time I have.)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Fuck me, getting up first thing to sit through a half hour accounting teleconference is my favorite way to start my day. Especially a busy day where I *should* be off work and *have* to do stuff for my own business.

Oerdin

Just spoke with my property manager. We've had to lower the rent on our Arizona property due to various market issues. Not least of which is that the holidays (Thanksgiving thru New Year, pretty much) are a pretty dead time for real estate stuff. Nobody wants to be moving in the dead of winter, especially over Christmas.

Yeah, that is pretty much the worst time to try to find a renter.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
...so of course, in spite of every effort of planning with that in mind, it is always when I have vacant properties.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Why is it that renters never have money for rent but they have money for holiday decorations? (This is just going to be me whining and feeling sorry for myself because everyone else is tired of hearing me whine and feel sorry for myself.)

Tenant doesn't have enough money for rent because his hours at work have been cut way back. So in an economy where you literally can't go anywhere without seeing at least 3 HELP WANTED: NOW HIRING signs, his solution is to have me send him a letter threatening to evict him because he's late on his rent so he can get rental assistance.

Since this is all new ground for me, I'm playing it very carefully, doing exactly what an attorney advised me to do, and hoping I didn't do anything too stupid earlier that will screw me over. So while he wanted a late rent letter as soon as I could get him one, I had to wait until the day after rent was due to send him the letter. And it had to be sent twice--once by 1st class mail and once by certified mail.

So after getting up around 7:30 for my 8am accounting teleconference, I drove over to the Post Office, waited in line, and sent the letters. Luckily I was paying attention because after telling the counter girl (and why is it that if there are 4 people at the counter and 3 people in line at the Post Office, once someone completes their transaction, the counter person leaves for the back?) that I wanted to send a letter certified mail, she heard "I would like to buy a first class stamp to put on this envelope"? I was like "what? No, certified mail!"

So I got that done and then forgot to stop in to do a quick repair to the back door of the vacant rental (the steel outer cladding was binding with the frame in a corner and getting pulled away from the wood body of the door), I headed to Staples to pick up a replacement for my ailing 9 year old printer. At first I was frustrated by the number of choices (and the 2 employees' desire to talk at the register rather than help their only customer) until I realized there was exactly 1 choice (and only 1 remaining)--none of the display models in my price/feature range had any actual product in stock. There was 1 box of something that they didn't actually have a display model for. Meanwhile another customer had entered the store and was headed in that direction while I was confirming this. Luckily she didn't grab my box so I don't have to ponder how I would've reacted.

Got home to do some work for my friend and realized the work was on Central time and I was on Eastern time so I had an extra hour and went and did my door repair.

Got back home. Finally got to have coffee and breakfast around 11:30. I'll admit then I fucked off a bit, but partly because I needed to blow off some steam and partly because I only had 90 minutes or so to kill until the next thing I needed to do for my online job. Then lunch and a quick nap before getting back to work. Then doing some much needed dishes before Outlook helpfully reminded me about the meeting I needed to be in 38 minutes ago. Around this time my idiot tenant texted me to tell me to bring him a copy of the letter so he could get the ball rolling on his rental assistance. When I got around to it I texted him back how busy I was.

Finally, around 7:15pm, I finished up work and had time to make some dinner and sit down to watch the evening local news and "Jeopardy!" (that shemale is unstoppable) before making a cocktail and enjoying some classic "Dr. Who." At this point I was really ready for bed but I decided that yes, I really should swing by and drop off a copy of the late rent letter so dum-dum could get going first thing in the morning instead of waiting for the incompetent Postal Service to deliver my letters.

Jumped in the car and drove over. First thing I noticed was that the front yard was decorated like the Griswold house (OK, that's an exaggeration). Second thing I noticed was that he was in the living room, watching his giant flat screen TV and/or playing video games on it. Then I noticed that it was hard to leave him a copy of the letter because his mailbox was full to overflowing--and there was a package on the front step. Fucker's literally on the other side of the door and he's too fucking lazy to get his mail. I was going to text him and tell him I'd dropped off the letter, but I was like "if you can't figure out to get your own mail I'll be damned to tell you to."

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
This is will have nothing to do directly with the concept of the thread. It will start as a fairly boring blog post and then transition into a weird metaphysical philosophical pseudoscience place.

Tired today. In a funk. Decided I needed to go for a hike to get some sun and fresh air and exercise. I'm about 45 minutes by a trail to the Ohio River. Been trying to make it there and back in an hour. Failing. Today I decided to just go the whole way to see how long it took (45 minutes each was as it happens).

Thing is, Saturday afternoons are when I go for a long hike in through the woods with The Dog. And it turns out 8 months isn't long enough for me to have gotten that out of me yet, so I was feeling a bit down instead of invigorated.

Lately I've been reevaluating my real estate plan. Another viable option would be "slow flips." I can sell my old home as soon as I can get my dum-dum renter out of it. Sell it for a nice profit, even if it needs to be fixed up after my renter, and because I lived there for 3 years, I don't pay capital gains tax on it. I can sell my first rental. Since I owned it for over 2 years, it is treated as capital gains instead of as wages (just doing flips, you're treated like self employed income for tax purposes, if you hold a property for awhile it is taxed as capital gains). Then in a year (less, depending on who you talk to) I can sell this place which, in a year, is worth twice what I paid for it.

True, I like my neighbors, but I've always liked my neighbors. But when I had to move because it was the smart thing to do, I moved. The problem is, now my dog is buried here. The cat too, but while I feel a little bad to say it, the bond I had with The Cat just wasn't the same as the one with The Dog. Anyhow, I mulled this for a few weeks and realized something: Only my dog's *body* is buried here. I take my dog with me in my heart and in my mind.

So as I was walking and thinking about missing her, I realized if this was true, then she was actually with me on the walk. It was interesting, processing that as I walked along, rolling it around in my head.

So here's where we veer off. I've presented some of these thoughts before. I expanded on them during this walk. There's so much ground to cover that I miss parts of it but we'll see.
I was brought up Catholic. And I do believe there is *something* out there that we call "God." I don't think for a second it is a giant old guy in the clouds with a white beard and robes. It's something too complex for our relatively simple human brains to grasp. Like how an ant can't begin to understand us. Even moreso because we didn't make ants. So like little kids, playing "grown-up" we try to understand God as well as we can. What about all the different religions? I'm glad you asked. You know how a big company like M&M Mars or Unilever or General Electric will sell the same thing in slightly different configurations with different packaging to appeal to different demographics? God is the same way. The different religions are the different "branding" God uses to try to help us understand His message in the way most likely to resonate with us. And I think part of that message is trying to get us to move to our next major evolutionary step.

I argue that our bodies are simply biochemical machines to carry our brains around and give them input and output and a way for the brain to interact with its surroundings. The next step is that the brain is simply a biochemical machine to hold the sum total of your experiences and this is what theologians call your "soul." Now from a strictly practical standpoint, our bodies wear out. Eventually our brains do too. One could argue convincingly that, when that happens, the pattern of experiences that is held in your brain--what I'm calling the soul--is lost. Christianity says that the soul (which it doesn't go as far to define as I do) goes to God to be judged and either sent to Heaven or Hell (or spend time in Purgatory to be admitted to Heaven after atonement). And Catholicism teaches that humans can, through prayer, influence other humans and to a limited degree interact with souls in Heaven. Meanwhile souls in Heaven can interact with each other and influence living humans. Souls in Hell can't be helped and can't help anyone. There's Satan and demonic possession, but I'm going to put that off to one side for a bit because I haven't really thought about that.

Now we have phenomenon like ghosts, which appear to be souls that, for whatever reason, haven't left the physical world to go wherever they're supposed to go. If ghosts are real, then maybe they are in what Catholics call Purgatory--they are formed enough to exist without a brain to house them, but haven't figured out how to move on to wherever they're supposed to go next. So they just hang around, working on what they know until (hopefully) they work through it and get to move on. The "souls" that go to "Hell," well they're just souls that didn't develop enough to be able to exist after the brain died. So no lake of fire or eternal torture, but they're lost. Now, before the brain dies, all the other souls--ones in humans and ones that are already outside of bodies--can work to try and save those endangered souls, but once the brain dies, if that hasn't happened, the pattern is lost and no one--not even "God" can do anything to get it back. Still following?

Well the problem I've been mulling since my dog died is that dog brains are very different from human brains. Their memory works a lot differently too. And since the Bible doesn't say anything about dogs being able to go to heaven (1980s cartoon movie notwithstanding) it makes me worry that maybe their brain isn't developed in a away that their soul can hold a pattern after the brain dies. That said, I most definitely believe dogs have souls (or at least what I call a soul). And I say this because suppose I was able to clone my dead dog and raise her from a puppy. Genetically she would be identical to my dog. But she wouldn't be my dog because her soul would be different. She'd have had different experiences and memories that would cause her to develop differently than my dog did.

So, knowing all this, for the past few months, I've been hoping and trying to bring my dog along to "heaven" with me by keeping her in my mind and hoping that when I die I can reconstruct her soul alongside my own. But I haven't been very optimistic about that. Even if my brain is advanced enough, all I can bring along is a facet of my dog; a reflection. I can bring along what I remember of my dog, but I can never bring along what was going on in her mind because I just don't know it and could never know it because my brain is built so differently from a dog brain. BUT!...

I realized that if you go along with everything I've posited above, I don't have to do it all myself. Because my Dad and my favorite Aunt died long before I ever got my dog. My Mom died the same year I got her. So if these people have been watching over me, they've also been watching over my dog. And I've carried a little piece of each of them in my heart and my mind. And for all I know, a disembodied soul CAN understand a dog brain. I dunno, maybe there are rules I don't know about. Maybe I'm just crazy and completely wrong about all this. But it really gives me some comfort to think my parents and my Aunt are taking care of my dog for me so when I eventually get to join them they'll be able to reunite her with me.

All that said, after my Dad died, I always liked to think of him coming back to help and advise me in glow-y Jedi robes, and as far as I know the fucker has not done this ONCE, so maybe I'm just crazy.

And I'm thinking that's part of why Ghostbusters: Afterlife resonated so powerfully with me [SPOILER?]--everyone thought Egon was crazy--until his granddaughter realized he was not.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
And 100% on topic with the thread title, this week I feel like I want to "...relax, I would sit on my ass all day, I would do nothing." I work Friday nights, so I sleep in Saturdays. This time of the year, by the time I've gotten up, caught up on the news, had something to eat and gotten dressed, it's starting to get dark out and I don't feel like doing anything productive.

Yesterday I tried to jumpstart my energy by going for a walk. Instead I just used up the last of the daylight, was physically tired from the walk and emotionally tired from thinking about how I'd ordinarily be walking on a Saturday afternoon with my dog. "Oh well, there's tomorrow."

Today I got a few chores done, but now it's again getting dark--and darker because blustery wet weather is threatening--and I just feel like laying around like a slug.

I did have some good reading today. The book on property management that was recommended to me, the guy who gave me a copy said he reads it once a year. I've read it 2-3 times and felt like I pretty much had a handle on it but I'm up on all my other reading and he's a pretty sharp guy so I decided to have another run through it. And holy crap, he's right.

First off, there's stuff you read before that you just didn't get because your brain wasn't ready for it until you've lived some of the items. Second, if you pay attention to what the author at the start of the book, property management is simple and easy and you just drive down to the post office at the start of the month to collect your rent checks. But if you actually pay attention to what he says in the book, managing property is a lot of work with a lot of headaches and if you're smart you'll pay someone else to do it for you as quickly as you can.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
So. Fun story. You'll remember my friend roped me into helping him out with his department because he was short people. I mean, that wasn't what he told me he hired me for--because I wouldn't have agreed to it, but it is what he hired me for. Was supposed to end by September but here I still am.

The good news is that they hired one person a few months back and her onboarding is moving along nicely. And they had the intern hired and put out an offer to the India position. The intern bailed. Just stopped communicating with HR. So he went with the next one on the list with the intention that, if she could fog a mirror, he'd hire her. Had to have a confirmation interview as a formality though. Well the prospective intern said she didn't have time last week because of finals and would get back to them with a time for this week. They haven't heard from her since. And he doesn't have anyone else on the list, so they'll have to repost the position and start over.

Meanwhile, the India person got another offer, so now we're waiting while she decides.

Oh, and I forgot. We were chatting personally last week and I mentioned what a rough and disappointing year it had been for me and he started mentioning all the friends and relatives he had who died this year--along with hating a job he can't quit--and I was like "shit, as a friend, I've got to hang in there until it becomes physically impossible," which could be until January at least.

Here's hoping the India person comes through and the intern hasn't flaked. Because I'll stick with my friend, but at this point I have absolutely no qualms about soaking his employers for every dime. They can't fire me. I mean, they can, but I don't want the job. So really...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
*sigh* It figures. Flirting with an apparently cute girl online. She's in the middle of getting a divorce, but seems interesting. Under 30 and 2 graduate degrees. But as we're talking, she reveals that she won't be doing anything with her degrees because she's "disabled" and unemployed. So she's going to go back to art school. And she lives an hour out of town.

So unless her parents are insanely rich, she's got crippling debt and no income to speak of--and looking to take on even more debt for something that won't ever pay off. And on top of that, she's in the middle of nowhere and I have no idea what "disabled" means.

I mean, geez, I know I've got some baggage. But my god...

As a sidebar I don't understand what "disabled" means to millenials. Because I met another girl who was "disabled" too. And I've watched her engage in wrestling matches on more than one occasion. Forgetting the "disabled" I'm also not understanding how millenials can be unemployed right now--at least in Louisville. My "problem-child" renter. You can't watch TV or listen to the radio without hearing ads for GE Appliance, Ford, and UPS. You can't drive anywhere without seeing at least 4 "Now hiring/Help wanted" signs--often for decent pay: "Forklift drivers, No experience necessary, up to $19.50 an hour" Suck it up, go out, and get a job. Sure, maybe it isn't something you want to do. Not many people get to do what they want to do. Tough luck. You need money. There are people with money that need people to do work for them. Git 'er dun.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Meanwhile, the roller coaster of my dingbat tenant continues. 2 weeks ago he sprung rent assistance on me out of the blue and said he was on unemployment because work was slow--but that he would be paying the rent regardless. Last week he sprung that he *couldn't* pay the rent unless he got rent assistance lined up. Well with a week of stress and jumping through hoops, it was arranged this morning that a charity would pay a chunk of his rent if he could cover the rest. Or so I thought. Then, at 4:55pm he texts me to ask if everything's sorted out and I say it is and that he needs to cut me a check for $x dollars and if he lets me know when it's ready, I'll swing by as usual to pick it up.

It is now approaching 8pm and I haven't heard anything about a check for me. So now I've got to decide if I should pester him again on the chance that he misunderstood or just return the check from the charity and proceed with filing eviction paperwork if he screws this up.

Fuck, I still don't know what any of this is about. At first he was in trouble but would make ends meet. Then he was in trouble and couldn't make ends meet. Now it was just a one-off thing and he'll be able to pay the rent next month. I have no idea what the real story is and there really isn't much I can do about any of it.

I hate humans.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
*sigh* It figures. Flirting with an apparently cute girl online. She's in the middle of getting a divorce, but seems interesting. Under 30 and 2 graduate degrees. But as we're talking, she reveals that she won't be doing anything with her degrees because she's "disabled" and unemployed. So she's going to go back to art school. And she lives an hour out of town.

So unless her parents are insanely rich, she's got crippling debt and no income to speak of--and looking to take on even more debt for something that won't ever pay off. And on top of that, she's in the middle of nowhere and I have no idea what "disabled" means.

I mean, geez, I know I've got some baggage. But my god...

As a sidebar I don't understand what "disabled" means to millenials. Because I met another girl who was "disabled" too. And I've watched her engage in wrestling matches on more than one occasion. Forgetting the "disabled" I'm also not understanding how millenials can be unemployed right now--at least in Louisville. My "problem-child" renter. You can't watch TV or listen to the radio without hearing ads for GE Appliance, Ford, and UPS. You can't drive anywhere without seeing at least 4 "Now hiring/Help wanted" signs--often for decent pay: "Forklift drivers, No experience necessary, up to $19.50 an hour" Suck it up, go out, and get a job. Sure, maybe it isn't something you want to do. Not many people get to do what they want to do. Tough luck. You need money. There are people with money that need people to do work for them. Git 'er dun.
Disabled for millennials means fat, lazy, and sucking off the government teat.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
And evidently they think getting 7/8 of the way is good enough. I'm stuck at this job because my friend keeps having interns get to the point where they're going to be hired and just disappear. Went through 2 weeks of stress with this renter and just when it looks like we've got something hammered out, he disappears.

So it's looking like we're going to get to play a little game called "FUCK YOU, I WIN." And it works a little like this: Fuck you. I win. So don't cry and be butthurt because that's the game you wanted to play. Now you get the prize.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Well, here we are. I don't understand people who think if they ignore a problem long enough, it'll go away. Or that they can lie about something that is supposed to happen in the short term.

The renter waited until 10 days before the rent was due to ask me about rent assistance. When I pointed out that his lease was up at the end of February and I would have to consider not renewing it, he got all offended and upset and maintained that he had the money to pay the rent, it was just a little tight so rent assistance would help him out because work was slow this time of the year so he wasn't getting a lot of hours.

6 days later he told me he wouldn't be able to pay the rent without rent assistance--2 days before the rent was due. So I had to drop a lot of things to address the problem he created for himself. Amazingly, it looked like he would be able to pay the rent. The charity was only able to come up with a little more than half the rent--which I wasn't going to accept--so they called him and he said he'd be able to come up with the other half, so I told them to go ahead and work with him. Everyone was happy yesterday afternoon and apparently things were going to work out.

I pointed out that this charity was a one-time deal, so he was going to have to figure out what he was going to do for January--while pointing him to a government site that might be able to help out. Now he said this was only a one-time thing and he'd be able to pay the rent going forward. So I told him I could pick up the check whenever it was ready.

And that's the last I heard from him.

After waiting a few hours, I reminded him I needed to get a check for his portion of his rent. Still nothing. So I e-mailed my contact at the charity and explained what was happening and asked if she could give him a diplomatic "nudge." I don't know if that's what happened or not, but a little after 8 this morning I got a text, apologizing for "missing" my text from the evening before and promising that he'd have a check ready today.

Next the charity called me and told me they wouldn't release the funds until I told them he'd paid me. When, by lunchtime, I still hadn't heard from him, I texted him again and told him what the charity had told me. He immediately texted me back, promising to have a check for me today and asking me to tell the charity this. Now he's got 3 hours and 15 minutes to get me a check or I can file an eviction on him (although my attorney is MIA with a family emergency and anyway I've heard the courts are closed down this time of year).

I just don't get how someone thinks they can convincingly lie and say something's going to happen in a few hours and their lie isn't going to be found out in a few hours when that thing doesn't happen. I ca't get my brain around people like that. Or people that happily play X-box half the night, go out to eat every day, and have a new package on their doorstep every day when they know they're not going to pay the rent next month--and everyone is hiring and paying really good money.

Oh well, it's kind of relaxing. Like when you're in a car on ice and you've totally lost control, so all you can do is sit there and watch the world spin by and hope you slide to a stop before you hit anything big and solid--it's all out of your hands, so there's no point in worrying.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
10 minutes after this ^, he texted me that he had a check. 9pm local time. I hope this is the end of this problem. I don't think it is, but I hope so because I really don't want to play this game again in a few weeks.