You moment of ideological Zen

Tyrant

We all want the same things - Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness... So how is it that people can get into such heated arguments? It's the paths to these things we don't agree on, correct?

Kerb Crawler

Closed Fist of the Badlands
Not always. People are just whiny bitches and need something to complain about. Truth gets lost in the rhetoric.

Fear is also a contributing factor.

Ogami

I thought the politics of fear ended with the Republican majority...

Now with the Dems in charge, peace love and happiness are all but days away!

And yet... Democrats can cure Parkinson's, so why can't they cure the bitterness of the moveon.org crowd? It's a mystery!

-Ogami

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
It seems to me that Democrats concern themsleves with Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness being fair and equal. Life isn't fair, especially when one isn't willing to further their own cause beyond applying for whatever government hand-out is available to them.

Sarek

Vuhlkansu Wihs
Whereas Republicans concern themselves with me, me, me, greed at the expense of working families is a way of life, making sure the means to help a person get ahead like education, fair employment, and equitable wages are non-existent and trampling a persons constitutional rights is like an evening at the races.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I enjoy punching people in the face verbally sometimes.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
All organized government everywhere is retarded and corrupt. Everywhere. Jumping around extolling the virtues and toeing the party line no matter who it may belong to is nothing short of nobjockery of the highest order.

Sarek

Vuhlkansu Wihs
Mentalist said:
All organized government everywhere is retarded and corrupt. Everywhere. Jumping around extolling the virtues and toeing the party line no matter who it may belong to is nothing short of nobjockery of the highest order.

Pretty much. But the "lesser of two evils" is a universal constant.

Tyrant

Mentalist said:

Sarek said:
Pretty much. But the "lesser of two evils" is a universal constant.
CU did say it best... only ideological extremes seek 'justification.'

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
Sarek said:
Whereas Republicans concern themselves with me, me, me, greed at the expense of working families is a way of life, making sure the means to help a person get ahead like education, fair employment, and equitable wages are non-existent and trampling a persons constitutional rights is like an evening at the races.

In general I am completely consumed with me and mine, that is not a falsehood. I also maintain that if more people were like me, there'd be much less need for social programs, the absolute downfall of this great nation is the bleeding heart.

I am 100% behind helping those truly in need, I am not a monster but I resent every bejeweled welfare mother without an IUD, a hand full of coupons, and more store brand groceries than not.

Giving to everyone and anyone with their hand out and little will or want to work is just a bunch of crap.

Tyrant

Laker_Girl said:
In general I am completely consumed with me and mine, that is not a falsehood. I also maintain that if more people were like me, there'd be much less need for social programs, the absolute downfall of this great nation is the bleeding heart.

I am 100% behind helping those truly in need, I am not a monster but I resent every bejeweled welfare mother without an IUD, a hand full of coupons, and more store brand groceries than not.
Behold an example of the truly greedy: She makes it known to all that she is as firm as a man when it comes to expecting the same out of the fellow human when it comes to others, yet suddenly backs away to speak of those not as well off as others, purely for the purpose of shielding herself from criticism. Let's not muddle the fact that it's anything other than that.

Giving to everyone and anyone with their hand out and little will or want to work is just a bunch of crap.
A duck's quack doesn't echo.

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
Maybe I should have said truly "Helpless" rather than "Needy."

Tyrant

Are you mistaken often?

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
Oh definitely. You?

Tyrant

Nope.

Ned Gauthier

some people are willing to trade some of one thing for more of another. libery, for example, for security or property.

Sarek

Vuhlkansu Wihs
Ned Gauthier said:
some people are willing to trade some of one thing for more of another. libery, for example, for security or property.

And some people aren't. The November 7th elections would seem to indicate that they are the majority.

Ned Gauthier

Sarek said:
And some people aren't. The November 7th elections would seem to indicate that they are the majority.
or rather that the balance has shifted further than than people are comfortable with. we all accept the kinds of tradeoffs I described. The concept of probable cause is one example.

obsidian

glass jaw
Messenger said:
A duck's quack doesn't echo.

I'm sorry... I have absolutely no idea what this means.

While I'm at it: Someone at work said something today in passing that threw me: "Moss don't grow on the north side for nothin'".

?????

The Question

Eternal
<insert witticism here>