1911's. What's so great about them?

Captain Jack

1911's were great in their day, but are they still great today for a design that old compared to many other new .45's out there on the market? There seems to be quite a craze for them by a lot of different people (gun collectors, shooters, etc). I just don't get it. It's a good gun, don't get me wrong, but I've handled other .45's that seem just as good, and are lighter. Any ideas?

They're tried and true, man. It's always best to go with 1. Battle-proven and 2. as standardized as possible, and the 1911 meets both criteria quite well. Evolution happens, of course -- another weapon with such a lifespan, for for the same reasons, is the M1, which evolved to become the M14 and M25 and is still evolving as the M1A.

This sucks. My beautiful thread has be disgraced by being moved to a forum where it will be buried in a matter of minutes. :(

I have no doubts that the 1911 is a tried and true gun. But it is astonishing to see such a strong love for this model despite the fact that there are newer .45's out there that are smaller, lighter, and possibly nearly or just as good as a 1911. I guess it is like owning a Model 94 Winchester. There are better guns out there, but the 94 has a lot of history behind it.

That's part of it, too. As many practical reasons as there are for owning any piece of hardware with serious longevity behind it -- standardization, familiarity, plentiful supply of ammunition, third-party modifications/accessories and inexpensive but high-quality replacement components -- there are just as many subjective reasons to go with 'em.

If both weapons strictly adhere to the 1911 design, then yes. I've seen an old WW2 vintage 1911 take parts from a circa-1994 commemorative edition with no trouble.

Back