Am I insane? Raise my Taxes, NOW!

There are currently two tax cut bills awaiting the president's signature.

There is also a lobbying push to keep the "temporary" tax cuts that the Bush administration put into place a few years ago and make them permanent.

And deficits get larger. There is a looming Medicare and a slightly less looming Social Security crisis. The USA's debt is held in large part by non-US institutions and citizens.

Beyond the fact that it looks good to un-educated voters, WHY is our government voting tax cuts?

The Republican philosophy of "less government" is obviously not a practical reality.

The Democrats may not be any better, the "surplus" we were running for a couple of years was a one-time economic anomaly, nice but not sustainable.

Short version: the US Government cannot afford the tax cuts they are proposing. So why are they doing it?

As a tax-payer, and I consider myself something of a patriot, I'd be willing to vote myself a tax increase IF, and only IF, the US government places a cap on it's spending. Not more taxes to spend...more taxes to pay for what we are already committed to.

Am I such a small minority? Am I insane? Why don't our political leaders think this way?

What would a 5% tax increase do to reduce the deficits? What about rolling back the Medicare drug benefit? How about restoring the taxes to the level before Bush rolled them back (at the time he did, the economy was doing better and we didn't have the Iraq Leach draining our budget...not a bad idea, but reality has changed and we should let it expire).
-SB

I think less government is a fine idea -- the problem is that that's not what they're giving us. They want to give us the financial rewards of smaller government, but they're trying to pay for the same big government with that, and they simply can't.

In order for these tax cuts to work, they're going to have to reduce or eliminate financial freebies to foreign governments and actually take action to stop non-citizens from soaking up billions in tax dollars and send billions more in income dollars out of the country -- but they're not bloody likely to take either of those remedies.

Back