Annoying Phrases or Word Trends

The Question

Eternal
Just checking in
Or "touching base". God, but that one makes me just irrationally angry. As in, I don't even know why that phrase makes me angry. I couldn't explain it -- not to somebody else, not even to myself. But that phrase just makes me want to reach for the nearest heavy object and pitch it at somebody's head like a fastball.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
In these trying/uncertain times

The Question

Eternal
It was the BeeGees-'st of times;
It was the Abba'st of times;
Now was the winter of our discoteque...

jack

Brilliant!

jack

Money can't buy happiness

Mirah

I love you

I have to revisit this one and upgrade it to "Childhood Trauma"

When people are talking about this word-are they talking about real fucking trauma? Physical abuse? Sexual abuse? Mental abuse? Or are they talking about an embarrassing experience they had once?

The Question

Eternal
I have to revisit this one and upgrade it to "Childhood Trauma"

When people are talking about this word-are they talking about real fucking trauma? Physical abuse? Sexual abuse? Mental abuse? Or are they talking about an embarrassing experience they had once?
That's what we get in this present culture of melodrama, where everything is 'literally' or 'dying' or 'I can't even.'

Mirah

I love you
"Holding Space"

I think it sounds okay in the right context, but I saw someone say it to someone who just lost someone and they said, "I'm holding space for you". I got annoyed.

The Question

Eternal
"I'm holding space for you"
What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? That is the emptiest, most meaningless, most brainless fluff phrase I think I've ever read. I mean, it's just nonsensical. It's about as profound and heartwarming as, "I'm baking up a batch of air cookies, and they've got your name on 'em!" Stupid!
wtf GIF

Mirah

I love you
Whenever you ask a question such as this I realize you have not been out in the world to hear these phrases. I am holding space for you means, um,let me get back to you.

No really-it means I am giving you the time of day to express your feelings, be yourself, I am pushing all others out and only putting you in that space-see-can't you see it?

Okay-fucking google-this is what it said-that is why it annoyed me when someone said it about someone who died. WTF there is nothing judgemental about dying.

Holding space means giving support that is free of judgement. It involves a conscious and deliberate choice to put aside our agenda, the need for our own specific outcome and the desire to give advice or “fix” a person or their situation.

The Question

Eternal
You're right, I don't keep up with the latest unhinged buzzwords and phrases. I prefer to invent my own, anyway, then feign mockery at people for not being "up to date" with them, as a form of revenge.

You pant the krampus, right?

Mirah

I love you
I don't think I was mocking you. I was just pointing it out. Nothing wrong with not keeping up on mainstream media. Sometimes these phrases are things I heard in a conference or at a work thing.

I don't know what pant the krampus means.

The Question

Eternal
Zig the zag, drop trou to the mumblety-peg, my semiporous bandersnatch!

Mirah

I love you
I wish it were only 100 messages a month. People text far too much. I can't stand it. I dont' know what you were talking about up there, if it was drugs, no, sex yes, sex w/women yes, sex w/men yes, am I vegan? no, do I play with weapoins, no, do I play video games? Not so much anymore, is there a knife in the house, well yes of course.

The Question

Eternal
Aw, don't fennurgleplarp, I was only grappling the pancake.

(And that's why writers resist weird, horseshit "inventions." Because if there's no resistance, pretty soon it's just fucking gibberish and nobody understands anybody. We're the brake system on the language train; we keep it from derailing.)

jack

"I'll reach out to you after I research your question"

Yeah, reach out to THIS, motherfucker.

Mirah

I love you
Aw, don't fennurgleplarp, I was only grappling the pancake.

(And that's why writers resist weird, horseshit "inventions." Because if there's no resistance, pretty soon it's just fucking gibberish and nobody understands anybody. We're the brake system on the language train; we keep it from derailing.)

That makes sense.