Anybody know about verizon's new broadband and cable efforts?

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I'm hearing stuff about verizon branching into the cable and broadband market. Curious if anybody has tried it or knows anybody etc...Time Warner has us by the tits up here and I refuse to pay them bastards, but my landlord won't let me put up a dish. Need an alternative and my comp is not awesome enough for me to sit here trying to watch tv on it...

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
I'm hearing stuff about verizon branching into the cable and broadband market. Curious if anybody has tried it or knows anybody etc...Time Warner has us by the tits up here and I refuse to pay them bastards, but my landlord won't let me put up a dish. Need an alternative and my comp is not awesome enough for me to sit here trying to watch tv on it...

He can't actually do that. Being that I install satellite dishes for a living, I'm well versed in that. The particular law is called OTARD Your landlord can prevent you from mounting it to the building, but he can't prevent you from having one. Read the information in that link.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
He can't actually do that. Being that I install satellite dishes for a living, I'm well versed in that. The particular law is called OTARD Your landlord can prevent you from mounting it to the building, but he can't prevent you from having one. Read the information in that link.

Yeah I know, but the setup of my building/neighborhood effectively prohibits a dish if I can't use the building itself. No way to get a decent signal.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Yeah I know, but the setup of my building/neighborhood effectively prohibits a dish if I can't use the building itself. No way to get a decent signal.

Ah well that sucks then. Verizon's FIOS service is really good if you are in an area they service. Their internet service is unbelievably fast.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I haven't really checked, but I'm guessing I have service. Damn company is based right here in town. I'll call my bro, he works for them.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Their service is only good sometimes. I've never had any good experiences with Verizon. FIOS is a very fast internet connection, but cable in my area offers A LOT faster connections. Not only that, but if you own an HDTV, FIOS only offers a limited amount of HD channels, and for an extra fee at that. Next is where the real problem hits. FIOS is only offered if you take a TWO year contract. Meaning, if you don't like the service, they get to charge you several hundred dollars just to disconnect it. If you're willing to put up with the two year contract, the limited HD channels, and the limited availability, this last one might turn you off for good. Verizon never uses in-country tech support until you get to a tier three problem. That means, you have to call and call and call until you get to talk to someone who speaks enough intelligible english to transfer you to their boss, who will transfer you to their boss, and finally you'll get someone who will call you back during business hours (wherever the hell they are in the US) on weekdays, normally when you're at work.

Two years ago when I tried getting DSL from them, I had to make phone calls for three weeks to get the problem resolved. All the time, they were billing me for services rendered. Finally, after all that trouble, I had to deal with another set of non-english speaking third country nationals to get my billing issues worked out. Yet another two days of phone calls. If it weren't for the fact that I could ONLY get internet from them at the time, I would have cancelled their service immediately and never paid them a cent.

My opinion, Verizon is only really OK for using a phone. Even then their 3g coverage is crap. What do you mean I can't make calls and surf the web at the same time!? Ugh!