Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As Is Now...

Friday

Bazinga!
I just got around to really listening and watching Paul Weller's As Is Now CD/DVD.

First, the packaging is great. The CD and DVD are encased in the front and back of what amounts to be a hardcover booklet. The pages include typed and handwritten lyrics of the tracks of the album, complete with handwrittten revisions and corrections. The book, and the information within, were clearly meant to last.

The tracks are really engaging, and present Weller at his bluesy, rock best. I have a habit of concentrating on the lyrics and melody to music, and not really paying attention to the instruments. This time I tuned into the guitars and piano, and man, Weller really knows his stuff.

There's a track called, Here's The Good News whose arrangement, coupled with Weller's voice, had a Randy Newmanesque feel to it.

Overall, the album is an enjoyable collection of bluesy rock. A welcome change from Yanni and Peter, Paul and Mary.

The DVD was equally enjoyable, except for the videos, which grated on my nerves. There are two videos, From The Floorboards Up, and Come On/Let's Go. Since this was the first time I've seen Weller perform, I was hoping to get a feel of his stage presence. This proved difficult, because the videos were a series of quick cuts, with the focus on Weller being only 1-2 seconds at a time. I was getting a headache really trying to concentrate on one image. I think they were trying to appeal to the MTV mindset. I was disappointed.

HOWEVER...

There is also live studio footage of Weller performing two tracks, From The Floorboards Up, and Here's The Good News. This is where I received the real performances I was looking for, since they were basically Weller and his band laying down tracks in a studio which seemed to be located in someone's home. I finally was able to see Weller performing, and I enjoyed him. I determined he is someone I would see in concert, if the oppportunity ever presented itself.

The behind the scenes documentary is roughly 15 minutes long. At first, I had trouble deciphering the British accents, but my ears soon acclimated to them. I was pleased with the film. It was a goood introduction to Weller and his band, and it provided the viewer with the motivations behind the album. It was also a good primer in how an album is made.

Overall, well worth the money spent, and a must have for any self respecting Weller fan. :)

If you want to see Weller live, try this DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._1_1/103-9456677-4355020?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

The Hyde Park gig is pretty incredible. His solo acoustic performance from Later with Jools Holland is also good, though I prefer him with a full band.

The Live at Braehead DVD provides a nice set of Weller doing recent stuff as well as older Jam and Style Council tunes, but, as one reviewer notes, there are too many cuts, with some shots lasting only a few seconds each.

EDIT: Oh, and Weller's from the working-class area of Woking, hence the difficult accent.

Number_6 said:
If you want to see Weller live, try this DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._1_1/103-9456677-4355020?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

The Hyde Park gig is pretty incredible. His solo acoustic performance from Later with Jools Holland is also good, though I prefer him with a full band.

The Live at Braehead DVD provides a nice set of Weller doing recent stuff as well as older Jam and Style Council tunes, but, as one reviewer notes, there are too many cuts, with some shots lasting only a few seconds each.

EDIT: Oh, and Weller's from the working-class area of Woking, hence the difficult accent.
Thanks for the suggestion! I just might order it.

Funny about the accent...it doesn't come across as thick at all in his songs.

And I see the quick cut thing is an ongoing problem. I find it extremely distracting.

The fact that Weller kept the accent at all in his singing is probably part of the reason he didn't make such a splash in the States. I know Polydor tried to get him to lose the British accent in the early days of The Jam, because in those days, besides punk bands, most of the British singers were singing with an American accent.

But he does sing with a different accent than he speaks with.