Babylon 5 is 20 years old NOW too? Not JUST DS9!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
And JMS is using a comment on that article as evidence that DS9 ripped off B5...

J. Michael Straczynski posted this on Facebook:

Well, isn't this interesting: in the comments section of an article located on io9 at http://io9.com/5985727/the-strange-secret-evolution-of-babylon-5 , a guy named Steven Hopstaken, who can be confirmed as having worked for WB TV, wrote the following:

"I was working at Warner Bros. in the publicity department when Warner Bros. and Paramount were preparing to launch a joint network. Warner Bros. already decided to buy Babylon 5 for their adhoc PTEN network (a group of independent stations that agreed to show Warner Bros. shows in prime time.)

Paramount and Warner Bros. both agreed that Deepspace 9 would be the show that would launch the new network and there wouldn't be room for two "space" shows on the network. I was told they purposely took what they liked from the B5 script and put it in the DS9 script. In fact, there was talk of leaving the B5 script in tact and just setting it the Star Trek universe. I had to keep rewriting press release drafts while they were trying to make the final decision.

But then, suddenly, Paramount decided to launch a new network on their own and screwed Warner Bros. over. That sent Warner Bros. scrambling to create their own network; grabbing up any station not already committed to Paramount and getting WGN to show the WB network on cable."

Why doesn't he just do something new.

CaptainWacky

He wrote for Murder She Wrote when Jessica moved to New York. A TERRIBLE MOVE.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Fuck B5.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I never hooked in with B5. I was savvy enough to know that just because I never watched it through, and never clicked with it after seeing a couple of sporadic episodes, that it didn't mean it was not a worthy series. We know in hindsight that B5 actually contributed a lot to the genre. I never watched it properly though. I am fully aware of the arguments for DS9 taking elements of B5 but even if it's true DS9 was a wholly original show that didn't need another franchise to draw from. It barely took from its own! DS9 was launched with the extended, and darker parts, of TNG's storyline, specifically the massacre at Wolf 359 but how long did that last?

DS9 is the superior series because DS9 is still to this day possibly my favourite television show EVER. I'm banking with it.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Does it bug you (it bugs me) that there has been virtually no mention by CBS/Paramount (or whomever owns old Trek now) about DS9's 20th anniversary? Where is the season 1 or "Best Of" Blu-Ray? Where is the low-budget tribute special on SyFy or Discovery? WHEN WILL NANA COME BACK TO BROADWAY SO I CAN SHMOOZE HER AT THE STAGE DOOR AGAIN DAMMIT???

CaptainWacky

[YOUTUBE]vpb1OXvNNMc[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah I'm sure it had something going for it (a really involved mythology and groundbreaking serial storytelling?) but it always seemed too dull and grey and aliens with stupid haicuts when I tried to watch it....plus the Babylon 5 kids at school made fun of me for liking Star Trek. Really.

Aquehonga

Un Banned
Does it bug you (it bugs me) that there has been virtually no mention by CBS/Paramount (or whomever owns old Trek now) about DS9's 20th anniversary? Where is the season 1 or "Best Of" Blu-Ray? Where is the low-budget tribute special on SyFy or Discovery? WHEN WILL NANA COME BACK TO BROADWAY SO I CAN SHMOOZE HER AT THE STAGE DOOR AGAIN DAMMIT???

That's a huge & pretty dumb oversight by Trek's TPTB. Nana does seem to have vanished into fat air:shrug:

[YOUTUBE]vpb1OXvNNMc[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah I'm sure it had something going for it (a really involved mythology and groundbreaking serial storytelling?) but it always seemed too dull and grey and aliens with stupid haicuts when I tried to watch it....plus the Babylon 5 kids at school made fun of me for liking Star Trek. Really.

That Londo Mollari hair-do was just LOL RIDICULOUS! Aliens with LULZ tornados for haircuts:phprolleyes:

The show itself wasn't/isn't so bad, what I saw of it. It has its faults, like this atrociously bad ham hacktor they had play the commander of Babylon 4 in one episode.

AFAIK/IIRC no station has EVER aired B5 & DS9 reruns back-to-back, which would be cool & a good way of rerunning both.

Aquehonga

Un Banned
8587.imgcache.jpg

CaptainWacky

Isn't it a bit weird that the Babylon 5 cast keep dying.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I only know of G'Kar. But Bruce Boxleiter has to stick around to do more Tron and Tron Uprising.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I liked Babylon 5 and DS9. ALSO, I am pissed that no one airs reruns of either show EVER. :rwmad:

CaptainWacky

The G'Kar guy was good. He was Tomolok. He said that thing about the Neutral Zone.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I suppose Walter Koenig's wig died at some point, though Claudia Christian failed to help publicise the news.