beef stew

Elrod Jericoho

making beef stew tonight. I'll have pictures later or tomorrow. This is going to be phenomenal, I'm really looking forward to it.

Elrod Jericoho

what kind of soup?

my wife was puking today and now feels better -- time for a nourishing meal. now that it's cold, comfort foods are the way to go.

Wife is making an apple spice cake for dessert, bless her little amish heart.

Daystrom

m'frstthotontconinthesack
Elrod Jericoho said:
making beef stew tonight. I'll have pictures later or tomorrow. This is going to be phenomenal, I'm really looking forward to it.

Your beef stew is bullshit, it would have to be. Mine on the other hand, is the fucking bomb.

I challenge you to post your recipe.

Elrod Jericoho

I'll post my recipe and some photos later. I wouldn't mind seeing your recipe.

it was fucking good.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Daystrom's a freak, ignore him. I did chores all day yesterday, first day off in a couple of weeks. Laundry, dishes, vaccuming, garbage, catbox, bathrooms, and I cooked a nice grilled marinated chicken with vegetables and rice. Had a chilled Sauvignon Blanc with it. House was clean when the wife came home from her long day and put her feet up and got fed nicely.

Days off are good.

Elrod Jericoho

That was nice of you to clean up and cook for your woman.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Thanks, and yes it was.

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...
upc_banner.gif

;)
mm

SaintLucifer

beer, I want beer
Elrod Jericoho said:

Couldn't afford anything else I take it? Ran out of Mac & Cheese? Ah, such are the problems of poverty!

SaintLucifer

beer, I want beer
jack said:
Daystrom's a freak, ignore him. I did chores all day yesterday, first day off in a couple of weeks. Laundry, dishes, vaccuming, garbage, catbox, bathrooms, and I cooked a nice grilled marinated chicken with vegetables and rice. Had a chilled Sauvignon Blanc with it. House was clean when the wife came home from her long day and put her feet up and got fed nicely.

Days off are good.

So your wife works, and you do not? No surprise there.

SaintLucifer

beer, I want beer
Elrod Jericoho said:
what kind of soup?

my wife was puking today and now feels better -- time for a nourishing meal. now that it's cold, comfort foods are the way to go.

Wife is making an apple spice cake for dessert, bless her little amish heart.

Campbell's?

Elrod Jericoho

So the stew recipe I use is basically a hybrid of my mother's classic fannie farmeresque recipe and pot au feu. The most important thing about the stew is getting the right cut of meat. I got a 2.5 pound chuck roast. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to trim this cut, butt the shoulder has great flavor in a slow-cooked dish.

Trimming and cutting the meat took about 15 minutes with a very sharp knife. I wanted to preserve some fat, obviously, but there was a thick vein of fat in the center of the roast that I trimmed out. That would have had a gross texture after it was cooked. I generally don't leave fat more than 1/8"-1/4" thick on any surface. I also trimmed out some of the shiny fascia, as this tissue tends to toughen up when cooked.

After trimming, I chopped the beef into pieces no bigger than 1" on any side. Of course, some of the pieces were oddly shaped, but it's no big deal.

The dog got some of the trimmings. I thought he was going to piss himself in excitement.

Elrod Jericoho

After the beef was chopped, I salted it lightly wih kosher salt, then dredged it in all-purpose flour. It's important to shake off the excess flour so it's a very light coating -- the color of the meat should be visible.

Then, the beef goes into a dutch oven with a decent coating of hot oil to brown:
stew1yd5.jpg

Elrod Jericoho

The beef needs to be well-browned. The more browning the exterior receives, the more flavor it will impart to the liquid.

Remove the beef from the pan to a plate wit a raised edge or a bowl so the juice collects):
stew2xu3.jpg

Elrod Jericoho

Before or while you're doing this you get your mize ready. I diced one white onion, minced 5 cloves of garlic and 2 celery stalks. Also cut 5 medium carrots into pieces, washed a pound of small white skinned potatoes, opened the red wine (cab-merlt) and crushed tomaotoes, and tied up the bouquet garnis (fresh sage, rosemary, thyme & bay leaf).

stew3zg2.jpg

Elrod Jericoho

Frozen peas and baby lima beans were on hand, too, but need no additional prep.

Elrod Jericoho

Once the beef was browned, I drained off the excess oil and melted a tablespoon of butter in the pan. Then I added the garlic, onions, celery, and a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
stew4ee0.jpg

Elrod Jericoho

After sauteeing these for about five minutes (when the onion becomes gold), I covered the oven and reduced the heat to sweat the aromatic vegetables.
stew5ru8.jpg