Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boosting wireless router's speed.

unfortunately, the answer here is buy a new router.

or, if you are lucky enough to own a flashable WRT54G, throw the tomato firmware on there and enable G+ and MIMO. but even then it's not faster, just more solid.

but in the end, if you have a G router with G devices, upgrading to an N router will get you a more solid connection but not greater speeds. you have to upgrade to N on the router and the devices to notice any large increase in speed.

I'm gonna be getting Comcast's 16mbps service soon. Any recommendations on wireless routers?

anything G or above, preferably N. i like my airport extreme, but it was a gift, and $200 is a lot for a router. linksys has had strong performance, as has netgear. dlink's okay. off brands are okay, depending if you get a good one.

802.11G is 54Mbps - the most comcast will give you is 16Mbps residential, i believe. so your wireless speed will outdo comcast's speed with a $50 piece o' crap. buy whatever.

oh sure, same standards for either architecture. plus nice features like the airdisk NAS, printer sharing, and easy NAT editing.

OK, I've got my Extreme up and running. I can't believe I had this gorgeous router just sitting in a box doing nothing for about a year because I thought it wouldn't be compatible with a windows OS. Anyway, I also have an Express that I want to use as a bridge but when I run the Express Assistant, it doesn't register the Express. In fact, most of the time, when I'm running the AirPort Admin Utility it doesn't even recognize the express. I've reset the little bugger at least three times and it only showed-up one time. What gives? I think I'm gonna try a hard-wired setup.