Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bragging Rights

Friday

Bazinga!
Number_6 has said to me, recently, that I'm not his equal in the debate department.

This has stuck in my craw. My ego has been crushed beyond all recognition. ;) :D

So, I propose a Debate Off. I have something to prove, my friends.

Him against me. On a mutually agreed upon topic. It will most probably be education, but ya never know.

How 'bout it, 6? :bigass:

Well, you've already lost this round. What I said was "If you're not my equal in the debate department, it's because you've chosen not to be, not because you aren't capable."

Notice the "If" at the beginning of the sentence, and the final clause, indicating choice, not incompetency.

The only problem I have had in debating you is that you have a pronounced tendency to resort to the appeal to pathos, and you want emotion to trump logic. When you go down that road, you usually build a giant wall behind you, beyond which logic is not allowed to penetrate.

This has been changing lately.

As for a debate off, can a debate take place when one of the opponents only posts infrequently? I've been conducting a PM debate with garamet over at TrekBBS, and I'm almost a week behind in responding to her.

Number_6 said:
The only problem I have had in debating you is that you have a pronounced tendency to resort to the appeal to pathos, and you want emotion to trump logic. When you go down that road, you usually build a giant wall behind you, beyond which logic is not allowed to penetrate.

This has been changing lately.
Yes, it has been changing. I'm ready to test my newfound skills.

As for a debate off, can a debate take place when one of the opponents only posts infrequently? I've been conducting a PM debate with garamet over at TrekBBS, and I'm almost a week behind in responding to her.
Sounds to me like someone has taken a course in Rationalization 101. ;)

I like to think I'm farther up on your list than garamet.

You've been posting frequently enough to debate, O Wise One. The beauty of TK is that it never closes, and threads are open indefinitely.

Afraid that the student will out perform the teacher? :D

Friday said:
Yes, it has been changing. I'm ready to test my newfound skills.

Sounds to me like someone has taken a course in Rationalization 101. ;)

You've been posting frequently enough to debate, O Wise One. The beauty of TK is that it never closes, and threads are open indefinitely.

Afraid that the student will out perform the teacher? :D

No. Just not willing to invest a lot of time on the internet right now.

What are we going to debate? I don't have time to research anything, so it'll have to be off-the-cuff.

You've already started to abandon hardcore leftism in education, so that seems to be an argument that's already almost completed.

Hmm.....

Something we are both passionate about, but tend to take different sides.

The Role Of Feminism in America today?

Number_6 said:
Notice the "If" at the beginning of the sentence, and the final clause, indicating choice, not incompetency.
Oh, wait. So you are saying I choose not to be your equal?

That's still stating I'm not your equal, no matter what the catalyst is.

No, I'm saying that you choose to rely on pathos.

As for the role of feminism in America, that's really something you'd best debate my wife about. I'm not the regular reader of IWF; she is.

My position is easily stated; radical feminism is as dangerous to society as misogyny, because they are really two sides of the same coin. I'm an equity feminist, not a gender feminist.

And I reject fully those branches of feminism who feel that gender is only a social construct, ignoring those branches of biological and psychological science that prove otherwise.

Number_6 said:
No, I'm saying that you choose to rely on pathos.
Oh, I do not try to play the pity card when debating.

As for the role of feminism in America, that's really something you'd best debate my wife about. I'm not the regular reader of IWF; she is.
This I would love to do one day. :D

My position is easily stated; radical feminism is as dangerous to society as misogyny, because they are really two sides of the same coin. I'm an equity feminist, not a gender feminist.

And I reject fully those branches of feminism who feel that gender is only a social construct, ignoring those branches of biological and psychological science that prove otherwise.
Um...I actually agree with this. Huh....