BULLLSHIT!!!

The Question

Eternal
:pissed:!

My computer has decided, all of a sudden, that my DVD-RW drive is a CD-ROM drive, and won't burn anything with it.

It's an NEC ND-3530A-RW drive, internal.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Are you sure it's not the DVD's you're buying?? I got a whole pack of bad Memorex DVD's, wouldn't burn for shit. I switched to TDK and they burn no problem. Try a different brand of disc, or even a different package.

The Question

Eternal
Well, I'd like to think it's the DVD-RWs, but I've already successfully burned about 5 of them, so I doubt it.

The Question

Eternal
Nah, my browser seems to be okay now -- or at least it's gone back to being okay with the FoxyTunes media extension. I dunno about ChatZilla.

Oh, and I think the DVD-RW looking like a CD-ROM drive issue might be related to a program called Alcohol 120% somehow, because although Alcohol recognizes the thing as a DVD-RW, AND recognizes the DISK as a blank DVD-RW, its write options come from a list, and there are no DVD-RW writing options in that list.

The problem now is, i don't know what the hell to DO about this, because I uninstalled Alcohol once already and it didn't go back to normal. I dunno.

The Question

Eternal
Well, I reinstalled Nero (7 Ultra) and it can burn the DVDs, although I need to figure out how to get the audio and video to synchronize now.

The Question

Eternal
Yeah, I never knew before that Nero was a 12 step program. lol

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
The Question said:
Nah, my browser seems to be okay now -- or at least it's gone back to being okay with the FoxyTunes media extension. I dunno about ChatZilla.

Oh, and I think the DVD-RW looking like a CD-ROM drive issue might be related to a program called Alcohol 120% somehow, because although Alcohol recognizes the thing as a DVD-RW, AND recognizes the DISK as a blank DVD-RW, its write options come from a list, and there are no DVD-RW writing options in that list.

The problem now is, i don't know what the hell to DO about this, because I uninstalled Alcohol once already and it didn't go back to normal. I dunno.

Alchohol 120% is a virtual drive system. If you have emulation and a virtual drive enabled it will create drivers for a virtual drive. This in theory COULD perhaps cause a conflict with your DVD-RW but I don't see how.

Best thing to do is this:

Go to My Computer>Properties>Device Manager and open the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and remove the one that correlates to your DVD-RW. Restart the computer and it will redetect and it should make the drive perfect again.

Voila.

The Question

Eternal
Tried that, actually -- no dice.

The weirdest part is that Windows Explorer recognizes the drive as DVD-RW when there's no disc in it -- but gets all schizophrenic and calls it a CD-ROM when I put a blank DVD-R disc in.

Anyway, apparently Nero Ultra 7 is unaffected.

The Question

Eternal
It's not firmware -- I have the 1.03c firmware, which is the latest available for my drive. It's more than likely a protection bypass protocol problem that happened when I installed a third-party disc-emulation/burning program, most likely either Alcohol 120% or Nero 7, because both of those programs recognize the drive and the blanks correctly even though Windows Explorer doesn't.