Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cell phone dilemma

TJHairball

I love this place
I posted this over on NS, but I figured it might sink to the bottom and disappear before anyone contributed anything useful, so I'm cross-posting here... to give yall a chance to affect a decision in my life for once.

OK, so after many years, I've decided to get a ... cellular telephone, the device is called, and join the 21st century, for a variety of reasons we won't go into. I've been reading over lots of fine print, but I've still got something of a dilemma.

I am frequently found in the Appalachian Mountains. I've asked around, and people tell me that Verizon gets the best reception in the area, and Cingular "OK" reception. Most of the other carriers don't really seem to cover very well, or for other reasons, I've decided their plans don't look good.

So here's my dilemma. I don't talk on cell phones much, so the "pay as you go" type of plan looks attractive.

Problem: I'm in the US, so "pay as you go" plans are distinctly second rate. I read that they're well treated in the UK, but I don't live there. So my choice essentially boils down to this:

Do I get the Cingular pay-as-you-go, or the minimal Verizon contract plan?

I've done all the math.

The Cingular plan is cheaper ($10 activation, $30+ dollar cell phone, $0.25/minute, minimum $100/year expenditure to keep active) provided I talk as much on the phone as I do now. (Since I don't have a cell phone, and I'm rarely in reach of my permanent land line, that's about once a month for five minutes.)

Unless some of my numerous friends and relatives who I never really talk to because I don't have a cell phone decide it's a good idea to call me once every other week or so now that.

The Verizon plan offers more airtime than I can imagine using (all things considered), and they throw in the phone for free or heavily discounted. (There's a Verizon "pay as you go" plan, but with a $0.99/day maintainence fee, $20 activation fee, and the requirement to buy one of their more expensive phones, it's not actually any cheaper, so it's not even worth considering.)

Con: It costs $480 per year. That's severely overcharging for my bandwidth usage in my book. I may have tax refund checks staring me in the face, but $480 per year just to talk with people? Unless I get in the habit of having an hour-long every two weeks, which I haven't done since I was a teenager, it's going to cost more. And there's time commitment strings attached there, too.

Pro: If getting a cell phone changes my talking habits, and I become more social as a result (and many of my friends are no longer available on IM as much, but do use cell phones), then it's actually cheaper, and the pricing structure doesn't discourage this. It might be nice to catch up with friends and relatives and not worry about the bill.

But there's more. I'm reading online, and hear that Verizon is unfriendly to unions, while Cingular is fully unionized. Is this just something Cingular talks about to make a point, or are they really treating their employees better? Should I be going with Cingular in spite of the fact I may have to wander around for a bit in order to get reception in order to spite the anti-unionists?

I'm also open to suggestions on what brands of hardware are reliable, but the big question is which one of those two to go with.

But there's more. I'm reading online, and hear that Verizon is unfriendly to unions, while Cingular is fully unionized. Is this just something Cingular talks about to make a point, or are they really treating their employees better? Should I be going with Cingular in spite of the fact I may have to wander around for a bit in order to get reception in order to spite the anti-unionists?

TJ I can safely assure you Cingular is unionized, although I'm not so sure that really means a lot on the whole. I can tell you a few things about how things were for my friend Joel that worked for Cingular for a few years before moving to a school location (he's going after his Master's, wish him luck)

They pay overnight 20% more then daytime. They have a set amount of overtime that can be worked in a month, given out on a first come first serve basis. (Which means if you don't want any overtime, you just don't sign up)

They have very little in the way of firewalls on their employees stuff at work, they pretty much let him do whatever he wanted as long as all the things he was to do in a day got done. (Out in the service trucks, who knows?)

He always described it as a low key, let's try not to heap any stress we don't absolutely have to on the people that worked there attitude. They had pretty good health and 401k packages too from what he was telling me.

Now, I'm not saying all this to recommend Cingular. I truthfully despise all cellular devices and won't use one of the things. I've got two friends killed by people talking on the damn things and driving, so I really have to watch my mouth out in public because it seems everyone's got one of the damn things. I'd actually say that the cellular phone has possibly made me MORE anti-social when I used to not be so much so, I find I'll stay home more rather than go out in public because I literally get angry when I hear one of the damn things. That's just me and my opinion though. However, if you are bent on getting one, and the union/worker treatment thing is that important, then now you know some more about part of Cingular.

Verizon. They have the best recepttion, except for isolated valleys surrounded by high mountains. Ive been using their 40 dollar plan for years now and I rarely have any problems.

Get a RAZR if you can afford it for your phone, they are fucking awesome.

SSgt_Sniper said:
However, if you are bent on getting one, and the union/worker treatment thing is that important, then now you know some more about part of Cingular.
Thanks. Can anybody speak up about Verizon now on the same topic? It's good to hear Cingular is good, but if Verizon isn't actually bad, then there wouldn't be a point in deciding on the basis of that.
jack said:
except for isolated valleys surrounded by high mountains.
Which is mostly where I would wind up using it :) But all of them seem to have that problem, and Verizon did come recommended on reception.

I've got two friends killed by people talking on the damn things and driving, so I really have to watch my mouth out in public because it seems everyone's got one of the damn things.
Generally... I don't drive a car if I can avoid it, and if I'm on two wheels, my hands are not leaving the handlebars for a @#$% phone call.

We're more talking about being out and about and on my feet. Bars, clubs, cafes, hiking through the wilderness, having voice mail, frequently living in areas with no land line, etc.