Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damn. Just...DAMN.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Philadelphia Daily News

Boy's Paralysis From Shooting Pains Grandpa
By DAVID [email protected] 215-854-2643

BENJAMIN WRIGHT'S heart breaks a bit more each day when he visits his grandson at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

He locks eyes with 6-year-old Jabar Wright and watches as the youngster slowly comes to the realization that he can't move. Wright doesn't know if Jabar remembers the screams that filled Wright's car in Strawberry Mansion Saturday night, when four men jumped out of the shadows and started firing at the car. He doesn't think Jabar understands that one of the bullets that struck him in the neck left him paralyzed from the neck down.

"He just cries," Wright said softly yesterday. "He just cries and cries."

Wright struggles to maintain his composure when he thinks of doctors and nurses shuttling Jabar from intensive care to operating rooms and back. He is tormented on several levels. A proud grandfather extremely attached to his "little Bar-Bar," Wright is devastated by the motionless future that his grandson is facing. And he is also tortured by the knowledge that the suspects were also troubled neighborhood youths whom Wright tried to look out for.

One of them, Raheem Collins, even lived for a time with Wright and his family. It is of little comfort to Wright that as of last night, all four were in custody.

And then there is the spectre of his past - jail time served for a murder 20 years ago - that is hanging over him, filling his life with suspicion when he says there should be sympathy."

I've been living right. I corrected my life and built a beautiful family," Wright, 40, said in an exclusive interview with the Daily News. "No one has stopped to consider what we're going through as a family," he said. "My grandson's been hurt, and they're depicting me like I'm involved in criminal activity."

Wright referred to police and media reports that identified him as the shooters' intended target because of a previous incident. He said the intimation is that "I'm some kind of drug dealer or big boss, but I don't live like that. I don't agree with that lifestyle."

For the past 10 years, Wright said he's devoted himself to helping people in his Strawberry Mansion neighborhood. He and his wife supervise a city homeless shelter. During the summer, Wright runs a basketball league near 33rd and Diamond streets, offering neighborhood kids a chance to focus on something positive.

By acting as a referee during basketball games, though, Wright believes he inadvertently became a target in a neighborhood war that started with a shooting in a local bar on New Year's Day two years ago. Wright said the four suspects - Collins, Donte Rollins, Kevin Norris and an unidentified 17-year-old - lost friends and loved ones in the unofficial war, which involves two groups of young men who live near Wright's home on Natrona Street near Susquehanna Avenue. Young men from both sides of the war participated in the summer basketball league, he said. By acknowledging the four shooters' enemies, Wright said he unknowingly had become a target.

Johnson noted that he and his wife recently planned to move to Southwest Philadelphia to get away from the violent cycle that has engulfed their neighborhood.

"It's misplaced aggression," he sighed. "They adopt the rappers' attitude. If they think you cross the line - whatever the line is - they'll kill you. They'll blow your brains out."

As he steered his Pontiac Bonneville down Westmont Street near 29th shortly before 8 p.m. Saturday, Wright had no idea that he was about to drie into an ambush.

"It was a good day. It was a day of laughter," he said. "We had six kids in the car, coming from the movies. That was the frame of mind we were in." Wright had just dropped off two grandkids on Westmont and was ready to turn onto 29th when the shooting started. Wright and his wife were in the front seats. In the back seat were Wright's young daughter, Jabar and two other grandchildren.

"My wife and daughter started screaming for their life. I was driving frantically down the street, trying to get away from the bullets," Wright said.

He said his 10-year-old daughter had to stifle screams and perform CPR on Jabar.Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson visited Jabar on Sunday.

"I went up to the seventh floor and saw him," Johnson said, shaking his head. "It's very, very sad."

Johnson said he was particularly pleased that the suspects were no longer on the street. Rollins was arrested on Saturday, and the three other suspects turned themselves in to police. Collins and the 17-year-old surrendered to anti-crime activist Anthony Murphy, head of the city's Town Watch Integrated Services, on Tuesday. Norris turned himself in at Central Detectives last night. Murphy said the suspects' relatives had contacted Town Watch because they wanted to avoid further bloodshed.

"It demonstrated what communities can do when working together to address violence in their neighborhood," he said. "I consider it a victory for the city of Philadelphia.

"Wright said his mind was fixed firmly on how the justice system will treat the suspects."We need mandatory laws," he said, "that if you hurt a child, you don't see the streets ever again."

Understandably, this has been a big news story in my area for a few days now. The media originally implied that the grandfather was a target because of some criminal affiliation. As the story continues to break, it's evident that this was a man who was making up for past mistakes by trying to better his community.

And now his 6-year-old grandson is paralyzed from the neck down. All because some fucking 50-Cent wannabes felt dissed.

If you live anywhere near Philadelphia, you almost become numb to this type of violence, because it happens far too often. It's epidemic. People won't get involved in bettering their community for fear of being killed. Witnesses refuse to testify because they see their friends who testify end up dead, and they themselves get threatened.

Late last year, there were criminals who were bold enough to print up t-shirts that read "Stop Snitchin'" STOP SNITICHIN'?? It's getting absurd.

How am I supposed to think of these black men as anything less than animalistic ghetto niggers? How can I view someone as human, when he values "respect" and his "rep" over human life??

No wonder many whites in and around Philadelphia are predjudiced against blacks.

And it's anybody but the criminals' faults.

Yeah, I know -- i just wanted to beat WordInterrupted/Hambil/whoever to the punchline.

Personally? Open season, IMHO. Start hunting these little shitstains down. They use intimidation and violence as weapons against their communities. Play their game, but take it to a level they can't even imagine.

^^Well, that would be the most satisfying part of the hunt, wouldn't it? The objections.

"But I's be havin' RIGHTS, yo!"

Blam.

"Okay."

Vigilante justice? Not what our country was founded on.

I could understand the motivation in wanting to painfully torture, then kill these animals. But that would put the U.S. in a chaotic spiral of Wild West lawlessness. Do we really want to revert to that?

Friday said:

I could understand the motivation in wanting to painfully torture, then kill these animals. But that would put the U.S. in a chaotic spiral of Wild West lawlessness. Do we really want to revert to that?

In some cities, we basically have this now, save that only one side is doing the killing.

Think on that.

^^Yup, you beat me to it. I personally wouldn't have a problem if the scumbag drug-dealing niggers, spics, gooks, etc. continued to off each other. Hell, when the cops respond to a murder, and they find that one gang-banger has killed another, they use the code "NHI". No Humans Involved.

The only problem is, innocent people are always caught in the crossfire. Like little Jabar and his family.

Yes, this country was founded on principles of jurisprudence, of considering a man innocent until proven guilty. Certainly laws are in place that punish people for committing crimes.

But what do you do when the punishment is essentially laughed at? When it's absolutely no deterrent any longer? The average black gang-banger doesn't give a shit if he goes to prison; quite frankly, he'll probably live longer in prison than he does on the streets.

Liberal activists will tell you that we need to help poor black men see that there is an alternative to gang lifestyle. We need to pour more money and resources into after-school programs and rec centers. But it's not working. The drug dealers are better armed and more organized than the community leaders and the police. When good people like Benjamin Wright get shot at for doing the right thing, how can a community not give up hope?

What's the answer? I honestly don't have a clue. If I did, I'd be Mayor of Philadelphia, maybe even President. What I do know is that continuing along this same path is not only futile, it's dangerous. What's the old saying? "The definitition of insanity is doing the same exact thing multiple times, and expecting a different result each time".

We can't simply throw money at this problem and expect it to go away. Neither should we come up with an "Escape from New York"-style solution. There has to be some way to further empower average citizens to stand up to these sub-human murdering pieces of shit. I'd wager that a hefty peice of steel with a loaded clip might help.

I'm all for a big gun and lots of bullets. Shoot them where they stand, and don't ask questions later.

There should be a season complete with limits and tags. Say, 50 a day. And we fasten the tag with a bone through their nose or attached to their fro with a velcro backing.

Friday said:

We already have reverted to that -- but only the outlaw side of the equation.

Number_6 said:
In some cities, we basically have this now, save that only one side is doing the killing.

Think on that.

I happen to agree with this too. We've swung too far to the Left [Rights of criminals] and in the process become victims as a culture. We're an enabling country, and we enable criminality to flourish. Our streets are filled with violence, and yet the people sworn to protect us have their hands tied.

We have vigilante justice NOW! One gang murders, and then there are retaliations. On and on it goes and people are caught in the cross fire. It's not returning to it, we have gun slingers in our streets, calling others out for a dual, and the Sheriff in town is busy explaining his actions to the press and/or some committee.

We can go into other countries and weed out terrorists, and yet we've no power to weed out the terrorists on our own streets.

Yep. These dumb kids keep shooting -- it's only right and proper that they find that what they've been shooting at is a hornets' nest.