Demonoid is dead

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
The fucking CRIA finally did it..

http://www.demonoid.com/

The CRIA threatened the company renting the servers to us, and because of this it is not possible to keep the site online. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.

This sucks. Hopefully someone will take the site out of Canada but I won't be holding my breath.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Could other sites fall next?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
They have been already, only some have managed to come back.

Someday, some sane legal body will state publicly and objectively what a blatant raping of American law has occurred to benefit private interests at the expense of individual rights and First Amendment rights. But I doubt it will happen soon.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Not as long as the RIAA exists, anyway.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
At least the Pirate Bay isn't going down any time soon.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
^"They" will read that post and go after the Pirate Bay next!

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Some more news on the subject:

The popular BitTorrent tracker Demonoid has been taken offline again and this time it looks like the site is gone for good. A notice on the Demonoid homepage reads: "The CRIA threatened the company renting the servers to us, and because of this it is not possible to keep the site online. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding."

The CRIA, Canada's answer to the RIAA, started to go after Demonoid earlier this year, but the site was able to get back online after a few days. However, this time the Canadian anti-piracy group may have forced it off for good. According to some reports, while the site is gone, the tracker appears to still be functioning and the downloading continues.

Of course, if there’s anything we’ve learned from covering BitTorrent shutdowns, it’s that there will be at least five new sites up by the end of the week all vying for Demonoid’s former members. When the site Oink was raided and shut down last month, the Pirate Bay promised to resurrect it and a number of new competitors have sprung up since. We have no doubt the same will happen with Demonoid — whack a mole and ten more pop up. [Update: There are also rumblings on IRC, that Demonoid may be back in the near future. I also updated the Pirate Bay statement to reflect that while they've vowed to bring back Oink, as the commentors below note, they haven't actually done it.]

Of course the Pirate Bay themselves have been making headlines today. TorrentFreak reports that the Swedish authorities are preparing to actually press charges against some of the people involved with The Pirate Bay.

The Pirate Bay has downplayed the news and doesn’t seem to think that the authorities have much of a case (the Pirate Bay doesn’t host any of the files, so it’ll be tough to prove the sites has violated copyrights). Reports in Sweden also suggest that the Swedish police were unable to find any usable evidence on the servers they confiscated during last year’s raid.

Even if The Pirate Bay does lose the case in Sweden, it has already vowed it will simply move to another country and even promises to do so without any down time.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The CRIA, Canada's answer to the RIAA, started to go after Demonoid earlier this year, but the site was able to get back online after a few days. However, this time the Canadian anti-piracy group may have forced it off for good. According to some reports, while the site is gone, the tracker appears to still be functioning
I wouldn't agree with that statement...

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
The Pirate Bay has downplayed the news and doesn’t seem to think that the authorities have much of a case (the Pirate Bay doesn’t host any of the files, so it’ll be tough to prove the sites has violated copyrights). Reports in Sweden also suggest that the Swedish police were unable to find any usable evidence on the servers they confiscated during last year’s raid.

Even if The Pirate Bay does lose the case in Sweden, it has already vowed it will simply move to another country and even promises to do so without any down time.

I'm kind of looking forward to this one. :lol: