Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dinner With A Perfect Stranger

Friday

Bazinga!
I read this book today, about a man who is invited to dinner by Jesus. It reads like My Dinner With Andre, but with religion at it's focal point, instead of the wild new age nonsense of the film.

I thought it very enlightening. Jesus makes a good case for Christianity, utilizing some pretty common sense philosophy. He states that if Buddhism and Hinduism have, at it's core, a depersonalization of the human psyche, why do humans strive to retain their individuality? Why have an inate characteristic that goes against the so-called grand design of these two religions? He basically takes relativism out of the equation.

It was a very eye opening book, if I may say so.

And yes, I did manage to pick up Sophie's World, also. ;)

Speaking of My Dinner With Andre, I tried to watch it today. When I first saw this film on PBS, I was in my late teens, and thought it was a groundbreaking film that fostered deep thought.

I found myself thinking about a half hour into the film....STFU already! The nonsense this guy spouts about a "hive" all coming together and humming, then it turning into a spiritual experience was just too much for me to handle. All feel-good pseudo-philosophy, no real deep thought or examination. No questioning, just accepting.

What a difference a couple of decades makes...

Haven't seen My Dinner with Andre in years. Wonder if it'll hold up? I think it's around here somewhere, in one of the big boxes o'VHS tapes.

I'm willing to bet you'll have the same reaction I did. Even more so...

I used to work with someone who looked identical to Wallace Shawn, even had the same timber of voice. It was around the time The Princess Bride came out, and I used to get such a blast out of making him say, "Inconceivable!" :lol: