Do you get the feeling that we are about to enter WWIII

Cranky Bastard

WWIII will happen. But it will not be the US bombing Iran over its nuclear program. That will not happen.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
The World is at War now and ever will be, but World Wars in the old sense of nations taking sides etc. will not happen again. IMO

Tyrant

Economic interests are too strong to permit it. As for nations taking sides, I think it's entirely possible - look at China, Russia, India and Iran.

Cranky Bastard

After the end of World War I, the world was guaranteed that never would such a conflict ever happen again. Too many economic and political interests. Too many nations cared and looked forward to a brighter future.

happy0148.gif

Idiot mankind.

Cranky Bastard

That wasn't a direct character assault on Headvoid.

Tyrant

Cranky Bastard said:
After the end of World War I, the world was guaranteed that never would such a conflict ever happen again. Too many economic and political interests. Too many nations cared and looked forward to a brighter future.

happy0148.gif

Idiot mankind.
They didn't have the atomic bomb then, or were so dependent on trade that utter chaos would ensue in nations in such a scenario, either.

Cranky Bastard

New weapons of war have been introduced since the dawn of warfare. The cannon, the repeating rifle, the machine gun, the bomber, the tank, the gas, and now the bomb.

It's all the same. Each new weapon was supposed to forever end warfare.

Tyrant

Cranky Bastard said:
New weapons of war have been introduced since the dawn of warfare. The cannon, the repeating rifle, the machine gun, the bomber, the tank, the gas, and now the bomb.

It's all the same. Each new weapon was supposed to forever end warfare.
So what comes after the bomb? A portable supernova? I think we've reached the end of the line here...?

Wisdom

Messenger said:
So what comes after the bomb? A portable supernova? I think we've reached the end of the line here...?
Small-scale nuclear weapons? Are depleted uranium bullets the beginning of a slippery slope?

Tyrant

Wisdom said:
Small-scale nuclear weapons?
Same thing - the US didn't deploy the Davy Crockett because things would inevitably escalate into a large-scale nuclear conflict.

"Conflict" - I mean 5 minute exchange.

Are depleted uranium bullets the beginning of a slippery slope?
You mean 'shells.' DU might not be fully implemented once greater attention is brought to the lingering poisoning it causes.

There exist laws which prevent what might be considered 'cruel and unusual' weapons of war. For instance, weapons designed to blind soldiers with methods such as lasers are outlawed as well as weapons which cause uncontrollable bleeding, AFAIK.

Cranky Bastard

The bomb is not the bomb. So you can launch and obliterate half a city. Big deal.

We detonated hundreds of test nukes above-ground here and elsewhere over the last 60 years and mankind thrives.

The next big weapon might be biological. Death without the bang - except for dispersion. What better way to conquer? The neutron bomb was a step in that direction.

The Question

Eternal
Messenger said:
So what comes after the bomb? A portable supernova?

Weapons that kill but don't destroy.

The Question

Eternal
Yeah, except better, 'cause that time I said it. :p

If there is a WWIII, then the US will not be involved.

Most of our heavy industry (and it's polluting byproducts) are overseas now, there are only two large shipyards, for example in the US, both subsidized by the government and mostly building military ships and submarines. The steel industry in the US is a shadow of what it used to be. Manufacturing is overseas, with even the aircraft industry, arguably one of the strongest US industries, even sub-contracting major assemblies outside of our own borders (for example, the new Boeing 787's wings are made in Asia).

The US gave up making the tools that make other tools...we can design them, we can re-build them, but it would take a few years, and a "world war" won't last that long.

The EU lacks the political will to get into a war.

The PRC is probably the only rising power with a self-sufficient economy, however it's population is beginning to get used to prosperity, something the government can't provide without export $$'s.

India and Pakistan, All of Africa, maybe parts of the former Soviet Union (but not Russia) might fight each other. North Korea has nothign to loose, but isn't powerful enough to suck the entire world in. A fight yes, but a "World" War? Nawwwww.
-SB

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
It's already begun, and we're too stupid to see it.

Fasten your seat belts.