Do you vote?

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
I don't vote because I dislike ALL of the candidates and I refuse to vote for the lesser of the evils. It doesn't matter if he's less evil than the other guy. To me, that's still voting for the evil guy.

obsidian

glass jaw
I vote, because when I think about how a typical United States election is decided by such a wretched percentage of the capable-of-voting population (how many voted in the last several presidential elections? 40%? And it's usually much less for state and local), I want to vomit in rage that my country is so infested with apathetic mealy-mouthed jackoffs who can't bring themselves to make a hard, this-or-that decision just because the candidates available don't fit their candyass notions of what a leader should be. This ain't the fuckin' West Wing.

When you get right down to it, the only reason we're being run by the current junta is because we deserve them.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Yeah, but I'm never going to vote for someone I don't think is fit for the position. I'd rather not give my vote to the person who I don't want in office than vote for another guy who I'd still not want to see in office, but not as much as the other guy.

Doing the 'pick the lesser of two evils' approach is capitulation of one's political values. Period.

obsidian

glass jaw
Have you ever come across a candidate you liked, I mean could very seriously get behind, no matter how obscure; no matter if you knew they didn't have a chance in hell?

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Though, I'm considering actually voting in the next election. Just to make it look like an independent non rep/dem candidate can get votes too. Maybe my one vote will persuade millions that they can safely vote non dem/rep and actually have a chance of getting that candidate elected.

Or, maybe not.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I vote. Because I can. Lots of people can't in this world. So I do.

Greg, unless you can figure out where better candidates are going to come from, you shouldn't let your vote go to waste. At the very least, you should vote for the least evil, if for any reason to let the really evil ones know they couldn't sell their shit to you. You can slowly make evil trends come to an end by skimming the worst grease off the top each time. Change happens slowly, vote by vote.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Of course I vote. Either for the candidate or the party with the platform most in keeping with my interests at that time.

I see this most often in our local politics. Example: My city is the largest city in the country without public transportation. Why don't we have it? Because 5% of the citizenry doesn't want it. Why do the 5% have that kind of power? Because that 5% votes. The other 95% that don't vote sits around bitching that the bad government doesn't give them what they want.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Conchaga said:
Witholding my vote is still a form of voting.
That sounds good in theory, but it just lets the 2 parties do as they please and spin the way elections go with the few votes that are cast.

If you are not voting, but working to reform the electoral process at the same time, and fighting for real campaign finance reform, then I applaud you. But if you're just not voting, that's not enough.