Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodgers legendary pitcher Fernando Valenzuela dies at 63

jack

The Legendary Troll King
Fernando Valenzuela, the Mexican-born phenom for the Los Angeles Dodgers who inspired "Fernandomania" while winning the NL Cy Young Award and Rookie of the Year in 1981, has died at 63.

The Dodgers announced the news, saying Valenzuela died Tuesday night at a Los Angeles hospital. They did not provide the cause or other details.

Valenzuela's death comes as the Dodgers prepare to open the World Series on Friday night at home against the New York Yankees. Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said Valenzuela would be honored during the Series at Dodger Stadium.

After pitching in the majors for 17 seasons, Valenzuela served as a Spanish-language broadcaster for the Dodgers, starting in 2003. He had stepped away from his broadcasting duties before the start of these playoffs to "focus on his health," the team said.

Called up late in the 1980 season as a reliever, Valenzuela, who was born in Navojoa, Mexico, took the baseball world by storm in the strike-shortened 1981 season. After Jerry Reuss was injured on the eve of Opening Day, Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda gave the ball to the 20-year-old Valenzuela, who had never started a major league game in his career.

He responded with a 2-0 victory over the Houston Astros and went on to begin the season with an 8-0 record, including five shutouts, and an 0.50 ERA.

"Tommy Lasorda came up to me and said, 'Are you ready to pitch tomorrow?' I said, 'I'm ready,'" Valenzuela recalled in 2023. "That's what I was looking for, the opportunity to show what I can do."

In addition to his Mexican roots, Valenzuela's pitching motion -- the stout figure glancing skyward at the apex of each windup -- was a hit. His signature pitch was the screwball, taught to him by teammate Bobby Castillo in 1979. During Valenzuela's warmups, ABBA's hit "Fernando" blared from the speakers. Latino fans turned out in large numbers -- both at home and on the road -- to see "El Toro," the Bull.

Though Valenzuela has not been elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, he remains a part of Cooperstown, which features several of his artifacts, including a signed ball from his no-hitter in 1990.

"His charisma was unbelievable," Hall of Fame Dodgers Spanish-language announcer Jaime Jarrin said in 2023. "The fact that he came here to the major leagues after spending just a few weeks in San Antonio at Double-A -- and from the beginning, he was just amazing. And the people fell in love with him."