Does anyone not like Will Smith?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
If not, why not?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I don't think much of him.

His very first film role was in Six Degrees of Separation, which is one of my all-time favorite plays. There were any number of better young black actors who could have been cast, but Will got the part. Halfway through production, he refused to do a male-male kissing scene with Anthony Michael Hall, forcing the director to use a cheap camera trick to try and make it seem like they kissed (it was lame).

If he had been a serious actor, he wouldn't have put his image above the needs of the script. Or at least, he would have bothered to read the script beforehand and turned down the part, rather than put an entire production in jeopardy because he's a (probably closeted) homophobe.

He's also a closet Scientologist, Tom Cruise is his best buddy in Hollywood these days.

Also, I never liked Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and it takes up too much airtime on Nick at Nite and The N.

The Men in Black movies were good though. But that's really it for me.

CaptainWacky

Did he not say later that he regretted not doing the gayness in that movie? And it was early in his career and he might have bene advised against it or something.

Anyway, he punched an alien and said "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A CLOSE ENCOUNTER!"

Blackfoot's Dick

Film Noir Detective
I's like him jes fine. He's a sexy black man. Make me almost wanna quit da white wimmens fo a spell ans hit dat!

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Thanks largely to ID4, he's taken a number of sci-fi classics (as well as some semi-original stuff) and chiseled them into stepping stones for his career. He must have it in his contract to rewrite the characters he plays to in order to make him look like a maximum badass.

I thought he did a great job in Ali, though. And he can be quite funny.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I like him in some stuff, and I'm glad he takes roles in sci fi movies... but I find it hard to take him seriously with those big EARS.

CaptainWacky

WHAT ABOUT UNCLE PHIL?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
FAT UNCLE TOM, IMO.

CaptainWacky

Ouch!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Did he not say later that he regretted not doing the gayness in that movie? And it was early in his career and he might have bene advised against it or something.
Well yeah, but the bell can't be unrung. It's not the kind of movie that is likely to be remade, and it affected me more than the average geek because I loved the play so. So it's a sore spot for me, LOL.

Even if he did regret it later, I don't understand how he could have taken the role knowing he had to do it.

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
Up until about a week ago the only thing I didn't like about Will Smith was his bitch wife Jada Pinkett Smith. However I was recently informed that he's become a Scientologist so that discredits anything he's done and everything he'll do 'cause now I know he's bat shit crazy.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I've always liked the guy. He's clearly talented in a number of fields and I have tended to like a good percentage of the projects he's been involved with.

I didn't know anything about the issues Eggs brought up though so that does give me pause for thought. If he publicly said he made a mistake about being a pompous ass over a scene that may have "damaged" his image then I think it's probably worth giving him the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that he bothered to take it back.

Iyhara

I'm high
I remember reading he was considered for the role of Neo in Matrix but he turned it down and purportedly said that Keanu Reeves did a better job than he would have. What the fuck?

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I guess I'll always "like" him because he's from Philly, and makes no bones about hiding his roots. He still cheers for the Eagles, Phillies, etc.

However, the fact that he's a scientologist and doesn't admit it is troubling to me.

The bigger issue is that none of his movies since Men in Black 2 has appealed to me at all. That's the last Will Smith movie I've seen, and even that was just "something to do" while on vacation.

CaptainWacky

YOU ALL FORGAVE THOMAS DEKKER FOR NOT WANTING TO PLAY A GAY IN HEROES.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Same here (as BDM). His presence worked in MIB because it was tempered by Tommy Lee Jones, and they worked as a team. But like his best buddy Tom Cruise, Will;s presence is more of a distraction in any other film he stars in. It's more "Will Smith in a movie" rather than losing oneself in a story/character.

I'll admit I haven't given Ali a try.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
YOU ALL FORGAVE THOMAS DEKKER FOR NOT WANTING TO PLAY A GAY IN HEROES.
I'd like to make Thomas Dekker squeal like the piggy bottom he is if I had the chance. Can't say the same for the Smith.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I went to see the premiere of Seven pounds. It was awful and he came across as a lovable buffoon.

I am not a big fan of lovable buffoons. It makes me think of Christoper Biggins!
click!