Elon Musk Buys Twitter

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Nah. Here's the real story. Kennedy was completely out of line and should have been censured for his bullshit. If anything, that tweet should have been cleared through the OAG but as usual, the far right thinks it can do whatever it wants. When a public official tweets something it represents the government, not a personal opinion. There's a fucking difference. It was smart to have that tweet removed. /end of.

Full Story​

Henry “Hank” Aaron, 86, “passed away peacefully in his sleep” on Jan. 22, according to a statement from the Atlanta Braves, the team for which he played 21 of his 23 seasons in Major League Baseball. He died more than two weeks after he publicly received his first dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine at a Morehouse Healthcare clinic on Jan. 5.

That sequence of events has led some social media users to suggest there was a direct link between his getting the shot and then dying several days later.

SciCHECKsquare_4-e1430162915812.png
But there is no evidence that is the case.

One person wrote on Facebook: “Our Brother Hank Aaron – RIP – wanted to be an example and an inspiration to Black People by taking the COVID-19 vaccine. Unfortunately, he may have become a clear example to Black People of why this vaccine CANNOT be trusted. … Two weeks after receiving his first Moderna shot, Hank Aaron died in his sleep. No cause of death is given, but you do the math.”

Another Facebook user, who juxtaposed one news article about Aaron getting the vaccine and another about his subsequent death, wrote: “I hope people receive the message that this mans death should send to the rest of us!”

And Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a vaccine skeptic who has promoted COVID-19 misinformation, tweeted that “#HankAaron’s tragic death is part of a wave of suspicious deaths among elderly closely following administration of #COVID #vaccines.” Kennedy’s tweet linked to a post by his organization, the Children’s Health Defense, baselessly suggesting Aaron may have died as a result of the vaccine.

While the exact cause of Aaron’s death has not been determined, health officials do not believe it was related to him being vaccinated.

An official with the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office, which examined Aaron’s body following his death, told FactCheck.org by phone that he died “due to natural causes.”

In a statement emailed to AFP Fact Check, the county medical examiner, Karen Sullivan, said: “There was no information suggestive of an allergic or anaphylactic reaction to any substance which might be attributable to recent vaccine distribution.”

She added: “In addition, examination of Mr. Aaron’s body did not suggest his death was due to any event other than that associated with his medical history.”

WSB-TV in Atlanta reported that Aaron had a history of prostate issues and hypertension. In addition, he received treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee and used a wheelchair later in life.

The Morehouse School of Medicine, which is affiliated with the Atlanta clinic where Aaron was immunized, also said the vaccine was not a factor in his death.

The historically Black medical school emailed us a statement that said: “Mr. Aaron was a public health advocate and worked with us to help bridge the health equity gap in Atlanta and around the world. His passing was not related to the vaccine, nor did he experience any side effects from the immunization. He passed away peacefully in his sleep.”

Aaron was among more than 20 civil and human rights activists — all over age 75 — who were vaccinated at the new health facility to “promote vaccine acceptance in the Black community,” the medical school said in a Jan. 5 press release.

A December survey by the AP-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research had found that just 23% of Black Americans at the time said they definitely planned to get the coronavirus vaccine when it became available. That was much lower than the 53% of whites and 34% of Hispanics who said the same.

On the day of his vaccination, Aaron told the Associated Press: “I don’t have any qualms about it at all, you know. I feel quite proud of myself for doing something like this. … It’s just a small thing that can help zillions of people in this country.”

Andrew Young, the former congressman, mayor and U.S. ambassador, who also was vaccinated at the clinic the same day as Aaron, told Atlanta’s 11Alive that he was told Aaron “never had any reaction” to the shot prior to his death.

“I talked to the fella who was his driver, and I said, ‘was Hank feeling any discomfort or any problem over the last few days?’ and he said, ‘no, he wanted to keep his schedule,'” the news station quoted Young as saying.

As we have written, the Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines both received emergency use authorizations from the Food and Drug Administration after being thoroughly tested for safety and effectiveness in clinical trials with thousands of participants. (For more, please see our SciCheck story, “Q&A on COVID-19 Vaccines.”)

On Jan. 22, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that after more than 4 million doses of the Moderna vaccine were administered between Dec. 21, 2020, and Jan. 10, 2021, only 10 cases of anaphylaxis, or “a severe, life-threatening allergic reaction,” were found.

“Nine of the 10 anaphylaxis case reports included a patient history of allergies or allergic reactions, including to drugs (six), contrast media (two), and foods (one); five patients had experienced an episode of anaphylaxis in the past, none of which was associated with receipt of a vaccine,” the CDC said.

There have not been any reported anaphylaxis-related deaths.

Editor’s note: SciCheck’s COVID-19/Vaccination Project is made possible by a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The foundation has no control over our editorial decisions, and the views expressed in our articles do not necessarily reflect the views of the foundation. The goal of the project is to increase exposure to accurate information about COVID-19 and vaccines, while decreasing the impact of misinformation.

Sources​

Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office, phone interview with FactCheck.org. 27 Jan 2021.

Morehouse School of Medicine, email to FactCheck.org. 27 Jan 2021.

Savage, Claire. “Hall of Famer Hank Aaron’s death unrelated to Covid-19 vaccination.” AFP Factcheck. 27 Jan 2021.

Atlanta Braves. “Braves icon Hank Aaron passes away.” News release. 22 Jan 2021.

Morehouse School of Medicine. “Civil and human rights leaders set to receive COVID-19 vaccinations at historically Black medical school.” News release. 5 Jan 2021.

Warren, Michael and Ron Harris. “Hank Aaron, civil rights leaders get vaccinated in Georgia.” Associated Press. 5 Jan 2021.

Neergard, Lauran and Hannah Fingerhut. “AP-NORC poll: Only half in US want shots as vaccine nears.” Associated Press. 9 Dec 2021.

Hanney, Adrienne. “Hank Aaron’s cause of death ‘natural,’ medical examiner says.” 11Alive.com. 25 Jan 2021.

McDonald, Jessica. “A Guide to Moderna’s COVID-19 Vaccine.” FactCheck.org. 22 Dec 2020.

McDonald, Jessica. “A Guide to Pfizer/BioNTech’s COVID-19 Vaccine.” FactCheck.org. 9 Dec 2020.

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Allergic Reactions Including Anaphylaxis After Receipt of the First Dose of Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine — United States, December 21, 2020–January 10, 2021.” 22 Jan 2021.

Children’s Health Defense Team. “Home Run King Hank Aaron Dies of ‘Undisclosed Cause’ 18 Days After Receiving Moderna Vaccine.” Children’s Health Defense. 22 Jan 2021.

Kennedy Jr., Robert F. (@RobertKennedyJr). “#HankAaron’s tragic death is part of a wave of suspicious deaths among elderly closely following administration of #COVID #vaccines. He received the #Moderna vaccine on Jan. 5 to inspire other Black Americans to get the vaccine. #TheDefender.” Twitter. 22 Jan 2021.

jack

C'mon. If you have a bully pulpit (like JFK does) and you represent some of your constituents you're responsible for what you say. There's absolutely no proof and his tweet was sheer speculation. Grounded in conspiracy, not fact or science. He represented the government, so the government corrected his speech. That's how it works I thought?

The Question

Eternal
Funny how it seems to work that way only in his case, then.

jack

Like every administration has been desperate to control the narrative. That's not a mystery.

The Question

Eternal
So how 'bout this guy, can the Feds censor him in violation of the law, too?

Face it, this is plainly and simply an illegitimate, outlaw government. There just isn't any point in making excuses in defense of it.

jack

Oh POOR TUCKER CARLSON. I'd do more than "censor" him if I had the ability. Give it a fucking rest already. Poor far righties, being hindered from spreading their hate, racism, lies and misinformation. L O FUCKING L

reap what you sow.

jack

Given the rules package passed yesterday I have to say Republicans are just full of shit. All this campaigning about "open borders and illegals flooding in" "inflation" "high gas prices" etc etc and not a fucking peep once they take the gavel.

Fuck them, and fuck you if you support this kind of hypocrisy. Not directed at anyone in particular, by the way. It's a metaphorical "you"

jack

An FBI raid of the president's home or even the Penn Biden Center is highly unlikely, for the reason that the process of obtaining Biden's classified documents has been crucially different from the way authorities got a hold of the classified documents in Trump's possession.

The first difference between the two cases is where Biden's classified documents were found—in an office, rather than the president's home.

The second key difference is that Biden's lawyers volunteered news of the discovery of the classified documents to the National Archives and Records Administration and turned them over promptly, according to the White House. By contrast, the FBI searched the Florida home of the former president after obtaining a warrant as part of an investigation into violations of the Espionage Act.

Commentators following the developments took to Twitter to point out some differences. Ben LaBolt, a media strategist and former press secretary for Obama, wrote: "Hope context breaks through in coverage. Looks quite different from Trump situation. Key Point: 'On the day of this discovery ... the WH Counsel's Office notified the National Archives. The Archives took possession of the materials the following morning.'"

"The fundamental difference in this case versus Trump's (other than volume of classified docs) is that Biden's team appears to have volunteered this info upon discovery whereas Trump's team actively misled investigators."

The NARA informed the Justice Department of the situation, and Attorney General Merrick Garland called for the Trump-appointed Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois John R. Lausch Jr. to investigate the matter and issue a report on it, according to news reports.

On the other hand, Trump's lawyers received requests from authorities to hand over any classified documents that could still be in the former president's possession before his Florida home was raided. For months before the Mar-a-Lago raid, authorities attempted to retrieve the documents.

It's not yet known what the classified documents found in Biden's office—dating back to his time as vice president—contain or their level of classification.

jack

Aren't revenge politics fun? Never a dull moment.

The Question

Eternal
They can offer all the excuses they want. All people see is, "Nah, this is 'our guy', so it's fine." What's the word they use? "Optics"?

The Question

Eternal
Sorry, what was I saying?

Y'know... one of these days, you're going to see me call it...

You're going to want to snap back...

And then you're going to go...

Drawing Motivation GIF

The Question

Eternal
^^Insightful and substantive content from you, as always. Have you tried the refreshing taste of rat poison? If not, you're missing out!

jack

Sorry, what was I saying?

Y'know... one of these days, you're going to see me call it...

You're going to want to snap back...

And then you're going to go...

Drawing Motivation GIF
Well, now I'm thinking different. This is a setup by Trump ops embedded in the current admin. When the real chain of custody is explained I'll change my thinking accordingly. He's too fucking stupid to have done this intentionally.

jack

If you haven't figured out it's an inside job yet, then you've bought the fake narrative.

Sorry, don't buy any of it.