Elon Musk Buys Twitter

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
lol. So many ways to play it. Dump all his shares. Make a ton of money on it and crater the value. Twitter was dying before he got in. If he sells it will be worth even less than before he bought--and he'll make a bunch in the bargain to build his own company to replace it after it goes under. Also, why do you hate African-Americans, USUC?

The Question

Eternal
Did you see Gab's offer?

Board seat if he sells his twitter stock and invests 2 bill in the infrastructure. No stock involved. Starlink would be the ISP

Purrrrrrrfect
I got the same email. And, yeah, Torba's reasoning makes sense. Had Musk bought Twitter and reformed it such that it defends legally protected expression, it would have come under attack the same way Gab did. Gab has already weathered that and built its own infrastructure as a result. While it's certainly not outside Musk's resources to do the same thing, why not align with an entity that already has?

That's assuming that Musk was doing this for a cause, and not to simply make another few billion while simultaneously bodyslamming Twitter into the pavement.

The Question

Eternal
Nailed it.
278639236_10159502907197508_7081479445010837883_n.jpg

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Maybe when it goes under it can snag some of them Obama-Biden GM/Chrysler bailout bucks.

Oerdin

I got the same email. And, yeah, Torba's reasoning makes sense. Had Musk bought Twitter and reformed it such that it defends legally protected expression, it would have come under attack the same way Gab did. Gab has already weathered that and built its own infrastructure as a result. While it's certainly not outside Musk's resources to do the same thing, why not align with an entity that already has?

That's assuming that Musk was doing this for a cause, and not to simply make another few billion while simultaneously bodyslamming Twitter into the pavement.

I could see Musk making a lot of money while fighting for free speech. Twitter under him could expand I to a hosting company similar to Amazon Web Services to sell hosting the way Amazon now does. That way when competitors like Parler get deplatformed via unlawful anti-competitive practices coordinated by dominate players there will be a large free speech competitor. Musk also mentioned charging anyone and everyone who wants a blue check mark on Twitter which would be fair and popular thus generating a nice new revenue stream for Twitter.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom

Oerdin

I don't expect a whole lot to change but the shadow banning will end, the banning of co serrations will be reversed or at least decreased, and an open source algorithm will probably be put in place for the sake of transparency. Over all, this is probably a plus but not the second coming of Christ some seem to think.

The Question

Eternal
Like I said on FB, I believe the best we can hope for on the free speech front is that some kind of geofilter system will be put in place, such that American users' experience will conform to First Amendment speech protections, while users in countries with more restrictive speech laws, such as Canada, the U.K., et al. will see their own Twitter experience dictated by their respective countries' laws. That's my best-case on speech, considering that Musk isn't going to buy an international company and then shitcan its userbase outside the U.S. by refusing to accommodate their laws -- for their citizens.

The big win here is, and I agree with you 100%, the promise of transparency in rules and the end of arbitrary, one-sided rules enforcement.

Or, put another way: Twitter will no longer be run like Wordforge is.

Last edited:

jack

Looks like it's a done deal. Also caused Truth Social stock to tank.

I'm curious where this is going to go. Twitter's a shithole as it is.

The Question

Eternal
Looks like it's a done deal. Also caused Truth Social stock to tank.

I'm curious where this is going to go. Twitter's a shithole as it is.
Not surprising that it would have that effect. Truth Social was started as a refuge for Trump fans kicked off Twitter. Now that there's a prospect of Twitter seeing a reformation, Truth Social becomes redundant. Of course, Gab would have had a similar effect, except that Gab users can vary from admiring what the man tried to do without much caring for the man himself (such as Yours Truly) to full-tilt raging whenever he's brought up for being a charlatan who never had good intentions at all... not exactly a warm environment for those who fall into his cult of personality.

The Question

Eternal
Yeah, his kids have him whipped. The sabotage of his Presidency was letting Jared Kushner have any influence What So Ever; it's because of Kushner's influence that he never joined Gab, for example.

Oerdin

I confess it has been amusing to listen to people who think men can get pregnant suddenly claim they are afraid that Elon will allow "misinformation " on Twitter.

Those nutjobs are unbelievable.

Oerdin

Clown world has taken over big tech. I mean they just lie and make shit up then demand censorship. Currently Amazon has special "trauma sessions" with employees who just can't hand a children's book which they dislike. It is about a boy who likes to pretend to be things he is not, he declares he is a walrus, after originally humoring the boy for a while his parents and family gentlely explain to him that he is actually a little boy and not a walrus. "Transgender activists" claim this book will kill them.

Fucking clown world.

(There is a second video in the thread if you want to see the Amazon Employees declaring how "traumatized" they are by a children's book.)

Oerdin

It is notable that Amazon Employees reclassified the book as politics so that the children's book is no longer found in the children's book section "for safety reasons".

Then we can move on to this obvious abuse of power. I mean it is just a coincidence that suddenly democrats are interested in repealing section 230?

jack

These recent developments are very............interesting.