End of Scene

Mirah

I love you
Do you know that part in the movie where there is lots of noise, children laughing or playing, a dog barking, famiilies talking, and then it gets silent and an empty house is shown

Mirah

I love you
I had been sitting in the sewing room for hours, working on a quilt. Andy Griffin played in the background from the next room. I know my mom walked by to say goodnight, but I forgot. I didn't even look up from my project to make eye contact.

Mirah

I love you
Do you know that part in the movie where the guy (usually a guy) is busy, working hard, doesn't have time for his family and then all of the sudden he stops to take a breath and realizes they are all gone

Mirah

I love you
I had been sitting in the sewing room for hours, working on a quilt. Andy Griffin played in the background from the next room. I know my mom walked by to say goodnight, but I forgot. I didn't even look up from my project to make eye contact.

Actually I did look up briefly, I remember.
But as the hour went on I just sat and concentrated on my quilt project. I had made an interesting block and wanted to get up and show my mom, or tell her that I was really done quilting for the night now, and I looked up at her bedroom door and it was closed. I walked out into the living room and Andy Griffin was still playing on the TV and I turned it off and an eerie feeling came over me as silence enveloped the house (stupid word to use-enveloped/whatever I'll change it later)
I turned around and looked at her door again, "Was she really in there?" "Had I said goodnight to her?" "Has she been here this whole time?" The whistle of the Andy Griffin show still playing in my head, I walked back into the sewing room and started to finish my block. I broke down and cried as it was eerily silent (another word I don't want to over use "eerily). I didn't think it proper to cry over a quilt, but I wiped the tears and sewed on. Then I decided to sort scrap material, dumping everything out onto the floor and halfway through realized it was too much, so I hurried along and went to change into my pajamas. Walking through the curtain in the hallway near the kitchen, feeling like I was walking by a ghost.
Knowing that one day I will break down and cry when she is gone, but for now, she is asleep and tomorrow we go to the fabric store.

This house will be too quiet. I will long for the sound of the ticking clock, the heater on the wall, and the old television shows that I've seen a thousand times.

Mirah

I love you
My mom and I are both up this morning and quilting and chatting. I am making a more conscious effort to be present.

Mirah

I love you
We talk about body memories
I wonder if we have ever talked about place memories
those memories that come flooding back just by driving down a road
a memory of a person long passed
stuffed away by merely being in a town where no one has been.
I have no memories that are stuffed
in that town
only this one

MODMAN

Have you ever had a dream and feel you've been to that dreamscape before? Even if it looks different, it has a distinct, indescribable feel to it that is very familiar.

I have one, though I have not visited in a long time. I think I first visited in my childhood and have only re-entered occasionally. But when I do, I know it's "the place".

When I awaken, it slips away.

It is normally an empty place. There is a light green hue. Perhaps post-apocalyptic. I don't know. But even though it appears empty, I am not alone.

MODMAN

Actually, I remember now. Last time I was one a backstreet behind my old primary school.

Why is it we can remember a few dreams so many years later? That dream would have been 10 years ago, but as I recall it, it only seems like yesterday.

Where do we go when we dream?

Mirah

I love you
Have you ever had a dream and feel you've been to that dreamscape before? Even if it looks different, it has a distinct, indescribable feel to it that is very familiar.

I have one, though I have not visited in a long time. I think I first visited in my childhood and have only re-entered occasionally. But when I do, I know it's "the place".

When I awaken, it slips away.

It is normally an empty place. There is a light green hue. Perhaps post-apocalyptic. I don't know. But even though it appears empty, I am not alone.

I have not had that experience of a light green hue. When you ask "have I been to that dreamscape before?" I wasn't sure if you meant having a recurring dream-which I have often.

Mirah

I love you
Actually, I remember now. Last time I was one a backstreet behind my old primary school.

Why is it we can remember a few dreams so many years later? That dream would have been 10 years ago, but as I recall it, it only seems like yesterday.

Where do we go when we dream?

Previous jobs mostly. An old bus stop from childhood. Strange, suddenly I cannot remember the "places" of any other dreams-oh yes I can-I often get lost in a building, or I am driving and having some strange experience where suddenly I am in the car inside a building and must pick it up in order to leave.

I wonder if I could really meditate before sleep tonight and dream myself into a beach, or beside a river, or a campfire, or just sleeping in a hammock.

MODMAN

I have not had that experience of a light green hue. When you ask "have I been to that dreamscape before?" I wasn't sure if you meant having a recurring dream-which I have often.

The location is not recurring, but the "vibe" is. I don't know how else to put it. It's never been the same place (that I recall). It's like a different location in the same realm, lol.

Mirah

I love you
WEll, I had another work dream last night. Same scenario, closing time and a line of cars and the managers are inside, I'm the visiting manager and out working w/ the crew, but then left all alone at the end of the day, but in this dream I found 2 people still hanging around. So that was cool.

Mirah

I love you
Actually I did look up briefly, I remember.
But as the hour went on I just sat and concentrated on my quilt project. I had made an interesting block and wanted to get up and show my mom, or tell her that I was really done quilting for the night now, and I looked up at her bedroom door and it was closed. I walked out into the living room and Andy Griffin was still playing on the TV and I turned it off and an eerie feeling came over me as silence enveloped the house (stupid word to use-enveloped/whatever I'll change it later)
I turned around and looked at her door again, "Was she really in there?" "Had I said goodnight to her?" "Has she been here this whole time?" The whistle of the Andy Griffin show still playing in my head, I walked back into the sewing room and started to finish my block. I broke down and cried as it was eerily silent (another word I don't want to over use "eerily). I didn't think it proper to cry over a quilt, but I wiped the tears and sewed on. Then I decided to sort scrap material, dumping everything out onto the floor and halfway through realized it was too much, so I hurried along and went to change into my pajamas. Walking through the curtain in the hallway near the kitchen, feeling like I was walking by a ghost.
Knowing that one day I will break down and cry when she is gone, but for now, she is asleep and tomorrow we go to the fabric store.

This house will be too quiet. I will long for the sound of the ticking clock, the heater on the wall, and the old television shows that I've seen a thousand times.

I returned home after being away for 3 months. I had been staying at my mom's house since my job had slowed down and it had been a while since I had seen my family. It was nice to spend time with everyone and catch up and just get back into old routines and traditions.
I brought everything in from my car the night before and just went to bed, exhausted from the drive. I had woken up that morning with energy to unpack my suitcases and put things away. My backpack had laid partly open as I had got my toothbrush and face cleaner from it the night before. Laying next to my backpack was a funeral notice. Strange, I didn't know where it was from. I picked it up and realized it had my mom's name on it. I didn't understand. Was this a mock funeral notice? It said she had died 4 months ago. Is this some kind of joke? My family was known for playing jokes on each other and I wouldn't put it past either of them to pull something like this, but this just seemed so wrong, even for them. I opened it up and it had a service date of December 3rd. Thats impossible, mom and I went to quilt group the night before, I got called in to work a late shift and slept the next day. I remember it well because it had snowed a couple of days prior and everyone asked if anyone neede rides anywhere. I chatted with her friends, mom and I rode together. None of this is making any sense to me.
I kept reading the funeral notice, or the funeral service pages and there was a whole service with music and her quilts displayed and mentions of people who would like to say a word or two. My sister's names were there, my name was there. What is going on?
I sat down on the bed and remembered all the time I had with my mom the last 3 months, we ate together, took road trips, we even watched Christmas Eve service on the computer, and she sang.

I picked up the phone and called my mom's number.