English humor vs American humor.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Within TV comedy. Both done well can produce some top quality laugh out loud humor but its no secret that they are quite diffrent beasts. From a general stand point what type of humor do you prefer. English or American?

What, when done right is the epitome of funny?

Number_6

beer, I want beer
British humour.

It's generally more intelligent, both in terms of the premises and in terms of its use of language.

American humor tends to be more in your face, and, consequently, less funny. It's also far less clever in terms of premises and rarely makes use of linguistic humor, unless it's something very obvious.

I guess American humor is lowest common denominator humor, at least a good 80% of the time, whereas British humour appeals to those a little more on the mental ball.

Sendell

I'm not wearing any panties!!
I can't think of any American series that comes close to Blackadder.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'll say BRITISH (NOT just English, we have to include Father Ted and great Scottish comedies like, umm, that one with Alan Cumming as an Air Steward.)

C

Cloudy

I'd say it used to be British, but in recent years US humor has taken the mantle

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Hmmm.... I enjoy the British comedies we get to see. Guess I'll have to rethink Mrs. Slocombe's referrals to her "pussy" - as the other actors pause and the laugh track kicks in - as being cerebral.

Virginia

american humour seems to be mostly of the toilet variety, and i just don't think that's something to get cracked up about.

Number_6

beer, I want beer
I've been impressed with the American version of The Office. I think they've done an almost perfect job with cultural translation with that one, while keeping the show recognizably what it was in its original, British incarnation. I'm impressed.

I think we did have some great sitcoms in the U.S., but it's been a couple of decades since I've seen anything that really stands out, with the possible exception of Frasier or Seinfeld. Beyond that, I find myself reaching back to things like Barney Miller, which I think ended in 1982 or 83.

Most of the late 80s and 90s stuff I may have watched at the time, but it has grown pretty stale.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I'll say BRITISH (NOT just English, we have to include Father Ted

Yes you're quite correct. I have the entire series of Father Ted, one of the funniest shows ever made.

Number_6 has otherwise totally sewn up the reality in this thread, good work.

As it happens I like a lot of American stuff but they do jusmp te shark in some spectacular ways when trying to reinvent British coedy especially. I'm glad the Office worked out well, I was sure that would be a disaster. Just do a little research on the Amrican version of Red Dwarf though, now that was a disaster of mammoth proportions.

Kyehlar

You Fox Eared Asshole!
I have to go with English. I think that the American comedy is held back by too many restrictions. There's so much that isn't politically correct these days, and restrictions placed by the FCC, comics are hesitant in most respects, and it hinders their potential.

English comedy doesn't have such restrictions, and they constantly go above and beyond. I would say they're constantly pushing the envelope, but they don't have much of one, compared to that of America.

English go 'balls to the wall' in all aspects, and they make you laugh your ass off every time.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I just realised that Father Ted wasn't British.