Fear and Tyranny

It has been long documented that one of the tools of the tyrant is fear of an external foe. That fear allows for more and more control over society to be exercised by the government for the sake of “safetyâ€.

Examples of this in the USA include the “Patriot†act, the War on Drugs, Prohibition, even so called local “Blue†laws. All of these things were to protect the populace either directly from an external threat (terrorism), or indirectly from the effects of drugs of various kinds on members of the populace, who would eventually cause trouble or crime under the influence or under the financial burden of procuring their addictive substances.

Eventually this creates a mind-set of doing things for “the greater goodâ€, things such as the recent eminent domain fights in Connecticut where private homes were seized for commercial development (which would generate far more tax revenue…for the good of the town of course).

Now we have immigration “reformâ€, talk of a national ID card (already semi-implemented as a “frequent traveler’s pre-screenâ€), and of course, the boogieman of foreign terrorists that have hit us a few years ago in a meaningful way, but have been ‘contained’ since.

So just how far should a society go to “protect†people? How does one keep a separation from an external threat from an internal one? How much responsibility should the government assume vs. the private citizen (for example, with gun control?)?

Finally, who trusts the current governmental systems, with the checks and balances rather un-balanced as of late, to keep “the greater good†in mind?

My own opinions: I’m becoming more and more Libertarian every day….(sigh).
-SB

What's even more suspicous about our government's measure to prevent (or protect us from) access to drugs and terrorism is the "Wag the Dog" syndrome.

Don't you wonder if all of the political infighting and legislative prophylactics aren't masking events which are, or will be, affecting us in ways which we aren't presently aware, simply because our attentions are drawn elsewhere?

It is for this reason that I don't trust the political engines which drive either party. At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy nut, I can't help but suspect that the lot of our legislators, Republicans and Democrats are complicit in advancing their own singular agenda, at our expense, while they light little fires which keep us, the electorate, squabbling over jots and tittles.

(as an aside, I believe that it was the war on drugs which legally predicated, then effectively sustained the erosion of our rights - including the "patriot act", and everything which has precipitated from it.)

In my opinion, the federal government's role should be as minimal as possible. Managing some aspects of interstate trade, managing foreign diplomacy and organizing the states' individual military forces in time of severe and immediate national jeopardy from hostile foreign nations, and that's about it.

Terrorism would be so radically diminished if our government simply stopped funding all countries in the middle east that it would no longer be a serious threat. Palestine and Israel can do without our money -- and if they can't survive on their own, pardon my cold heart, they fucking shouldn't.

The Patriot Act would cease to have any justifiable purpose once America is no longer seen as an unwanted interloper in ME affairs. And oil? Well, we've got Texas, we've got Alaska, and a few other places, and we've got some pretty good ideas for the next fuel source when those won't do the job anymore. Maybe it's just time to say goodbye to jetting from one side of the country to the other, or road trips, as much fun as those were.

They say change is good; well, sometimes change back is even better.

Illegal immigration? Our federal government is already doing next to nothing to stop it -- in fact, they're encouraging it by talking amnesty. Let the states handle it. Better yet, let the citizens affected by it handle it. Any damn way they want to.

I think what we're getting at is this:

mt4.gif

(sigh)

If there is a way to be a "Green" libertarian...
I think it's more fear and frustration with our current administration (wire-tapping, deficit, the war, ect.), the feeling that any canidate at the national level has sold their soul to the political machine years ago regardless of party affiliation, the loss of a vaidation for one's vote...

I see it as making people wish for LESS government.

Back