Foodie thread ... eating your vegetables

eloisel

Forever Empress E
homemade or bought pumpkin pie?

I used to plow my own fields, barter with my neighbors for seed, plant my own wheat, then harvest and thresh it and mill it it into flour. Had my own chickens and cows and corn and alfalfa fields too. I often bartered the butter I churned myself for some pumpkins one of my neighbors grew as a cash crop and we both traded with another neighbor for spices from her gardens.

Alas, those were the days.

Then, a friend of mine lost her farm and she had to go to work at the grocery store bakery in town. I'll never forget her first day on the job. She came to my house right after she got off work, busting with exciting news that she could hardly contain. She told me that the store bakery used all the same ingredients we used at home to make our pies and they didn't have to raise any wheat or cows or grease any chickens for blue bugs or anything.

It took a minute for it all to register but when that light bulb in my head turned on I was as excited as my friend. I was free - free at last. I could go to the store and buy my ingredients or I could by my pies already baked at the store. My work load dropped immensely. And, the cost of pies went from about $1,000 a piece down to about $5.00. I'll never go back to making my own pies - not as long as there is a good bakery around. Plus, I am doing my part to keep people working.

Do you have a good bakery in your town or do you have to make all your pies from scratch?

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I have a butternut squash right now and here's what I plan on doin with it.

Cut the bell off, (the part with the seeds) save that and roast it later with some mini pumpkins (butter SnP, brown sugar)
Take the main part, peal it and cut it into battonet shapes (1/4 in x 1/4 x 2 inches) along with parsnips, potatoes, carrotes, sweetpotatoes and otther root veggies AI have,
season with olive oil, SnP, italian herbs and spread them out on a sheetpan and roast them, turning them once,
and eating them with the rest of dinner.

Elsie, if you can't have salt, get some other umani flavot in there. Soy sauce or mushrooms worl.
Something that brings out the flavor and savoryness.
Cheese!

That sounds awesome. I think soy sauce has a lot of sodium in it too.

Found a recipe for a low-sodium soy sauce substitute:
•2 tablespoons reduced sodium beef broth
•1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
•1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
•2 teaspoons molasses

I think I'll try that with a mix of roasted veggies and kidney beans seasoned with olive oil and italian seasonings.

The Call Of Nature

Saint (what else!)
Do you have a good bakery in your town or do you have to make all your pies from scratch?
no really good bakery here. I do everything from scratch, including bread if I have the time. No big deal for me, though: I like baking - it's such a creative occupation =)

I love your story, heehee. While I don't grow my own wheat (for reasons of not having enough space), I do grow my own herbs - including peppermint for tea and stews, chilies, peppers, tomatos, artichoques, salad and radishes, and from my parents I get apples, prunes, peaches, cucumbers, walnuts and runner beans. In early summer I trade radishes for cherries with my neighbour and lettuce for redcurrants with my landlady.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
no really good bakery here. I do everything from scratch, including bread if I have the time. No big deal for me, though: I like baking - it's such a creative occupation =)

I love your story, heehee. While I don't grow my own wheat (for reasons of not having enough space), I do grow my own herbs - including peppermint for tea and stews, chilies, peppers, tomatos, artichoques, salad and radishes, and from my parents I get apples, prunes, peaches, cucumbers, walnuts and runner beans. In early summer I trade radishes for cherries with my neighbour and lettuce for redcurrants with my landlady.

Where do you get your scratch?

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Was it yummy?

The Call Of Nature

Saint (what else!)
you're a turkey?

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
ha!
this thread inspired me to put a pumpkin to good use so yesterday made soup. Yummy, BUT what a lot of work! At least I was able to freeze extra pumpkin for the next pumpkin project.

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
I want to get two pumpkins, cut one up, and cream and egg yolks and make a pumpkin custard inside of the other pumpkin.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
^except when you baked it the outer pumpkin shell would get all soft and the custard would ooze out, wouldn't it?

The Call Of Nature

Saint (what else!)
no, the pumpkin shell is rather tough. With most sorts there wouldn't be a problem (I'd recommend Butternut or Hokkaido)

Mirah

I love you
Mmmmm
I am looking for a Butternut Squash Bisque recipe I used once. This wasn't it, but it gave me a lot of ideas!