Fucking hobos...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I don't want to hate hobos. But I have no choice. My dog likes to explore. And sometimes we'll wind up finding a hobo camp. You know how you know if you've found a hobo camp? Garbage. Tons and tons of garbage. A bum moved in under the bridge where The Dog has caught a few groundhogs and within a week it literally looked like someone had flipped a dumpster over the guardrail. And it's all just complete crap that no one would want. And there's no common sense to it. They'd lugged a tub of crap to the edge of the bridge. Literally right next to the bridge. 3 more feet and it would've been out of the rain. But instead they left it next to the bridge and all the garbage in it got rained on and ruined (if it is possible to ruin garbage).

I thought I had more to say, but it escapes me, so I'll leave it at this for now and add on if needed.

The Question

Eternal
Same. And I've been homeless. And even when I was, I fucking hated hobos. Dumbest motherfuckers alive.

See, there are at least three kinds of people who are on the street: 1. People who wound up there by a combination of bad planning and bad circumstances, and hate being in that situation; 2. People who wound up there by a combination of bad planning and bad circumstances, and accept it; and 3. Dumb fucking teenagers who think it makes them "punk."

I can guaran-fucking-tee you that you've met somebody from the first group at least once, maybe more than a few times, and you never even suspected. But the longer somebody is in the first group without escaping it, the likelier it is they'll end up in the second group. And the dumbass kids in the third group are almost guaranteed to end up in the second group without physical intervention by authorities.

And it's that second group that does the moronic shit you spotted when you were out with your dog. Their situation has become 'normal' to them, to the point where they don't even think about being seen by people at large, or even the cops.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Isn't this just homeless people? Or are "hobos" a step below that?

We house all our homeless in hotels around these parts, and as long as they leave housed people alone everything seems to move along normally.

The Question

Eternal
Isn't this just homeless people? Or are "hobos" a step below that?
I just explained that, lol

Group 1 above is 'homeless people; Group 2 above is 'fuckin' hobos'; Group 3 above is, 'stupid goddamn street kids'.

jack

So then by your definition, the majority of homeless people aren't mentally ill. They're the ones that seek social support services to get back on their feet because of bad luck/hard time/convergent circumstances.

Hobos are mentally ill homeless people that CHOOSE to be that way.

The Question

Eternal
So then by your definition, the majority of homeless people aren't mentally ill. They're the ones that seek social support services to get back on their feet because of bad luck/hard time/convergent circumstances.

Hobos are mentally ill homeless people that CHOOSE to be that way.
Mentally ill and/or addicts, yeah. And yes, I'm aware there are probably exceptions to the rule; exceptions, however, do not nullify the rule.

jack

Addicts are mentally ill, by definition.

When I was in Portland for a few weeks before Covid, the homeless community there is a large population. They all seemed mentally ill. The ones that weren't were in shelters or pod cities, trying to get reassimilated. The rest camped out in the streets.

The Question

Eternal
Granting that, there's, "gambling addiction" mentally ill, and then there's, "dancing around in the street wearing nothing but bacon grease and singing about pasta ponies" mentally ill.

Oerdin

The stats show around 85% of them have sever drug problems. That is why they lost their jobs and stopped functioning. The reality is we need to return to duty to care and institutionalize people who either cannot or will not care for themselves. It is a drug problem not a housing problem and the decriminalization of drugs use in so many states and cities has been a complete disaster.

Michael Shellenberger, who is pretty far left, shows this over and over again with his work.

Oerdin

I also never understood why they literally collect so much trash. Just literal trash. Not to mention half a dozen stray dogs even though they cannot care for themselves. Add on how drugged out slobs throw garbage every where, literally shot where they sleep, and inevitably the garbage attract rats and other vermin which spread disease.

Worse, 90%+ refusing shelter housing because they cannot do drugs there. Leftists say "just let them do drugs then" but then shelters turn into violent, dangerous mad houses so functionally that can't happen. What is needed is involuntary commitment to rehab or asylums (depending upon the patient's needs) which they cannot just check themselves out of the first time they get a drug craving.

Oerdin

When I was in Portland for a few weeks before Covid, the homeless community there is a large population. They all seemed mentally ill. The ones that weren't were in shelters or pod cities, trying to get reassimilated. The rest camped out in the streets.
Housing first has been a complete failure as drug overdoses spared. They are still doing drugs but refusing rehab only now they are in a pod behind closed doors where they simply O.D. where no one can see. That isn't a solution. The root problem is drugs so they need forced rehab. Put them on a hotel or housing and they literally will just destroy it, catch it on fire, and endanger everyone around them as well as themselves.

Don't even start me on what a boondoggle the free hotel rooms thing has been.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I also never understood why they literally collect so much trash. Just literal trash. ...
This. Walking The Dog in a different spot. Go "huh, that's a big pile of trash, out in the middle of nowhere." Look down to the bottom of the hill "ah. A hobo camp." And on top of the garbage they collect and the garbage they discard wherever they happen to be standing at the moment, they occasionally find something useful--that they then neglect and ruin.

Almost started this thread back when the guy moved in under the bridge but held off. Started it because I ordered a dumpster to clean out the house I just bought. Even after being "cleaned out" by the seller, I still pretty quickly filled up the 2 car garage. Driveway is too narrow to get the dumpster on the property. In the 8 hours it was sitting on the street in front of the house, someone threw a bag of trash and a few Amazon boxes in it, so I wanted to get the garage cleaned out in 1 day, rather than come back and find my dumpster full of someone else's trash. Got maybe 75% of the way before it got so late I decided I didn't want to annoy the neighbors (and I was getting pretty tired anyway). As I'm securing the property--at 11:30pm--this sketchy guy who looked like Shaggy from Scooby Doo, aimlessly pedals up on a 1960s style 1 speed "cruiser" bicycle, with a cigar stub in his mouth and asks if "there's anything good in the dumpster or if it is just garbage...because I was going to climb in and check." It's garbage, you dumb fuck. That's why it's in a dumpster. And what are you going to do, get in and ratfuck the piles of rotten carpet and broken wheelchairs and branches to find a treasured particle board Wal*Mart bookcase and a couple Martina McBride CDs? What are you going to do with them if you do, on a bicycle in the middle of the night.

I dread showing up to find stuff thrown out of the dumpster and rooted around in. I was packing pretty carefully because even after I separated out all the metal for a scrap metal company, it looks like I'm going to run out of space before I run out of crap.

jack

Well I guess when you only have 630,000+ people in your state, with less than 2% of the population black/asian/latina and the rest are white the dynamics are quite different in every flavor.

Except in the "metro" areas (Burlington, Rutland, Bennington, Brattleboro, White River Junction, St Johnsbury) homeless people are not on the streets.

We also have an exceptional drug rehab state funded program going. if you are arrested for public intoxication. you are locked up in the St Johnsbury prison hospital for 30 days until you detox.

Not a solution, but definitely a start.

Oerdin

In San Diego the San Diego River Park is supposed to be an ecological reserve and public park going through the city from the mountains to the sea. There is a trolley line giving bums easy access to the Mission Valley part of the park so you get tons of homeless drug addicts as they don't pay and just infest the light rail cars so that few other people want to ride on them unless they have no other choice. Every once in a while the city or some charity does a homeless encampment clean out and they pay to remove dozens and dozens of tons of garbage, human waste, stolen bicycles, drug production equipment, and, of course used needles.

We are talking dozens of truck loads of garbage. The addicts steal anything they can get their hands on in order to pay for their drug habits so the whole area around their encampments or even areas they can reach via the trolley line turn into high crime areas. It is a cancer upon everyone who isn't a street addict in the city and it rots and kills everything. Democraps enable and allow this just like they allow and enable all forms of lawlessness and crime in the name of "equity". Worse Democrats have zero solutions other than funneling billions of dollars into their and their cronies pockets without fixing anything.

Oerdin

BTW Biden is doing nothing new and just repeating what has already failed over and over again. Worse, he is being completely corrupt about it and only giving money to five Democrap run cities where Democrap incumbents are endanger of losing office in 2024 because of their retarded policies. It is basically just a bailout for failed incumbent Democrap controlled cities which is doomed to failure.

Oerdin

California is a complete mess and corrupt politicians want to spend $800,000 per studio apartment and those studios don't even have a kitchen. Private companies build better units with kitchens and parking for around $175,000 land and labor included. Those same politicians sit on the boards of "non-profits" getting paid millions of dollars per year so they are directly getting kickbacks from this fraud.

Yet idiots keep voting blue no matter who so the corrupt theft of public funds just keeps going. Oh, and Democraps only want to build homeless squat housing in red districts because then they can pack those districts with dependent drug addicted Democrap voters this turning them blue.

Oerdin

Five years ago and it has only gotten worse as our last Republican mayor left office being replaced by a Democrap who literally claimed removing drug vagrants encampments was "racist". He quickly had to change his tune as even centrist Dems informed him he would get recalled unless he got his head out of his ass.