Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hangovers

Tyrant

Not many people know that much of the headache part is caused by your brain shrinking due to the dehydrating effects of alcohol.

Ouch!

That's too bad, are you having a headache? I had cottonmouth, but otherwise I'm right as rain.

Cottonmouth? An interesting term.

I'm shivering and generally weakened and sensitive, but nothing some coffee (Milk, sugar) and a hot bath won't cure.

Obviously the best way to avoid those kind of hangovers is to not drink as much. But since you're drinking to get drunk and would prefer to minimize the hangover factor I recommend sticking to beer. It's easier to moderate yourself and you can't do as much damage in as much as the direct effects of the alcohol consumption.

I have found that drinking an equal amount of water completely eliminates the dehydrating effects. The stomache rumblings and effects from the impurities are another matter.

I was hungover once when I was about 17 and I vowed never again. To ensure no pounding headaches or praying to the porcelain gods, I've always drank an entire bottle of water, downed two tylenol, and tried not to fall asleep while the room is still spinning.

Ten years later, it's never failed me. May wanna give it a shot. :)

Gamma linoleic acid (or GLA) is also effective. about 240 mg prior to drinking any excessive amount will keep those effects at bay. Most of the ill effects are caused by trashing the liver with alcohol, and GLA counters that specific effect by moderating prostaglandis (pg's) in the blood.

It's pretty cool actually, and totally effective.

Thanks Jack.

Now for those that haven't spent the past 7 years getting a PHD in biochemistry.

What the fuck is Gamma linoleic acid?

and can i buy it in ASDA?

Collina said:
Thanks Jack.

Now for those that haven't spent the past 7 years getting a PHD in biochemistry.

What the fuck is Gamma linoleic acid?

and can i buy it in ASDA?

LOL try capsules of Borage oil (about 50mg gla a cap) or Evening Primrose Oil (about 35-40 mg a capsule) 6 to 8 primrose caps about an hour before drinking :)

GLA *may* help lessen cravings for alcohol and prevent liver damage, but thoses studies and only preliminary.

Hangovers are caused by excessive alcohol consumption, pure and simple, and are an immediate withdrawl symptom. You can free yourself from the symptoms with more alcohol (hair of the dog), with other drugs that have central nervous system depressing effects such as Benzodiazapines (Valium being the most effective), Opiates (like Vicodin), drugs that contain Barbituate (such as Phenobarbitol), GHB and of course time, the healer of all wounds.

Coffee can help with the headache and contains antioxidants that support liver function, and I've heard that Prickly Pear cactus extract can reduce the nasuea. But again, the best prevention is to not drink like an Indian.

jack said:
LOL try capsules of Borage oil (about 50mg gla a cap) or Evening Primrose Oil (about 35-40 mg a capsule) 6 to 8 primrose caps about an hour before drinking :)

Dogs go crazy for the taste of Evening Primrose Oil; rub some on Fido's tail and watch him chase his own ass for hours!

RWC said:
GLA *may* help lessen cravings for alcohol and prevent liver damage, but thoses studies and only preliminary.

Hangovers are caused by excessive alcohol consumption, pure and simple, and are an immediate withdrawl symptom. You can free yourself from the symptoms with more alcohol (hair of the dog), with other drugs that have central nervous system depressing effects such as Benzodiazapines (Valium being the most effective), Opiates (like Vicodin), drugs that contain Barbituate (such as Phenobarbitol), GHB and of course time, the healer of all wounds.

Coffee can help with the headache and contains antioxidants that support liver function, and I've heard that Prickly Pear cactus extract can reduce the nasuea. But again, the best prevention is to not drink like an Indian.

My experience with GLA shows that it is a PG3 precursor. It regulates pg1 and pg3, which will reduce inflammation related to injury. The other effect of prostaglandin production is a consumption of the alcohol byproducts the liver prodcues when alcohol is being processed.

jack said:
My experience with GLA shows that it is a PG3 precursor. It regulates pg1 and pg3, which will reduce inflammation related to injury. The other effect of prostaglandin production is a consumption of the alcohol byproducts the liver prodcues when alcohol is being processed.

Rub some prostaglandin on Fido's balls and watch him go to town!