HELP! HDMI advice needed...

Friday

Bazinga!
OK. I've never purchased an HDMI cable. They were usually included with whatever I purchased.

However, my most recent purchase does not have one.

I'm looking for a great cable to connect my 55 in TV to my blu-ray player. Nothing more. I know enough to know that gold plated is a better conductor, but that's it.

Any advice, TKers?

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Yes. Don't buy retail. The best place to buy from is www.monoprice.com also, don't b e pulled in by hyped up brands like Monster. With HDMI cables, there is very little difference in the end result. What type of device are you buying the cable for?

Friday

Bazinga!
The Magnovox Blu ray player that was on sale at Walmart today.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11319406

I'm hooking it up to a 55 in LCD TV, 240hz, 1080p (not bragging, just telling you the specs).

It's actually for my sister, who panicked when she thought she would have to buy the $40 cables she saw at Wally World. I knew enough to tell her she'd be a fool to do that.

I looked at monoprice, but there are so many options. Which is the best one? I just want a simple cable, albeit gold (I think this is important. IDK...).

Ugh!

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
If I had room for a 55 inch TV, it would be in the living room. I'll make do with the 42 inch TV & BluRay combo I currently have.

To be quite honest, after years & years of looking at analogue signals through tube televisions, the treat is the HDMI setup alone. Plugging different value gold-plated HDMI cables into the setup seems to make little difference in my opinion, when I asked the guy in the shop to try out 6 or 7 different cables, so I just chose one for £15.

$40 isn't that great amount when you think some cables are listed at nearly $4000. That's more aimed at really fussy people with acute eyesight who really notice the difference and get a sweat on that everything isn't perfect.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
The Magnovox Blu ray player that was on sale at Walmart today.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11319406

I'm hooking it up to a 55 in LCD TV, 240hz, 1080p (not bragging, just telling you the specs).

It's actually for my sister, who panicked when she thought she would have to buy the $40 cables she saw at Wally World. I knew enough to tell her she'd be a fool to do that.

I looked at monoprice, but there are so many options. Which is the best one? I just want a simple cable, albeit gold (I think this is important. IDK...).

Ugh!

This is the page you should look at: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10243

Not sure how long you need, but here's a nice 4 foot one for $8.14: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10243&cs_id=1024004&p_id=4965&seq=1&format=2

Friday

Bazinga!
I ordered the 4 ft cable that you suggested.

You have been a BIG help! Thanks! :D

Friday

Bazinga!
If I had room for a 55 inch TV, it would be in the living room. I'll make do with the 42 inch TV & BluRay combo I currently have.

To be quite honest, after years & years of looking at analogue signals through tube televisions, the treat is the HDMI setup alone. Plugging different value gold-plated HDMI cables into the setup seems to make little difference in my opinion, when I asked the guy in the shop to try out 6 or 7 different cables, so I just chose one for £15.

$40 isn't that great amount when you think some cables are listed at nearly $4000. That's more aimed at really fussy people with acute eyesight who really notice the difference and get a sweat on that everything isn't perfect.
I have a 42 in in my bedroom...the perfect size for me. And even tho blu ray looks amazing, regular old DVD is still good enough for me and my Oppo upconverter. Actually, it's better, because all the discs I've been wanting are starting to fall in price in favor of the new format.

I've only been purchasing my baby nephew's Disney discs in blu ray. The only concession I made was The Prisoner. OMG. That show looks *outstanding* in Blu ray! Oh, and 2001. And probably Lawrence of Arabia, if it's ever transferred.

Yeah, you're right about the cables. But paying almost half the price of the player for the cable itself seemed a bit foolhardy to me. As it is now, I bought the one Dirk suggested for approximately $11 shipped. I'm happy. :)

The Question

Eternal
So what's the deal with video cards that come with HDMI for high definition audio? How the fuck do you plug speakers into the motherfucker? Or do you plug your speakers into the regular jack but just use the audio on the video card (o_O) as the audio playback device?

Ishcabittle

hdmi on your vid card will usually just pass-through from the mobo's sound card, or just provide a sound chipset on the vid card itself. either way.

The Question

Eternal
So if the vid card has a sound chip, that'll what? Route through the mobo and out the audio jacks? Or do you actually need an HDMI cable and some kind of receiver?

Ishcabittle

it does some sort of majick, no cables needed. you shove the hdmi cable into the vid card and your hdmi tv gets sound from your computer or some shit.

The Question

Eternal
But as far as sound on your computer itself goes, it is teh gogglez (does nussing)?