Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey, Curious!!

Number_6

beer, I want beer
Wondered if I might ask you to do me a favor.

I'm looking for two bottles of booze, neither of them available in the United States. I suspect they are limited to Europe, but *maybe* you can get them in Canada.

The first is a single-malt Scotch liqueur called Wallace. I've been without Wallace for almost two years now, and may soon pass away.

The second is one of two passion fruit liqueurs. The first is by Bols, and it's simply Bols Passion Fruit Liqueur. I bought three bottles of it in Victoria, B.C., several years back, but then there wasn't any more. If not the Bols, Marie Brizzard makes one called Charleston Follies.

The next time you're at a good liquour store, would you look for these and ask for me? Find out how much they are, and I'll send you the money in advance.

And if you find either of the passion fruit liqueurs, buy one for yourself. Three shots of vodka (GOOD vodka) and a shot of the passion fruit liqueur. Crisp, refreshing, and a perfect balance of tart and sweet. I have about three shots left in my bottle. And summer's coming.

Let me know if you could do this. I would be eternally grateful, and more than happy to share with you any and all cocktail recipes I design from them.

And, if you're ever my way, I'll mix you enough drinks that you'll be sleeping on the sofa. :)

Hey, if you're shopping for him, could you pick me up a bottle of Absinthe?

I will do that cash in advance thing too.....if you could see your way clear to hooking me up.

My gf tried to send some wine to a friend in France and was told by customs that shipping alcohol overseas was illegal.

Is this true?

Answers vary.

But you're not trying to ship alcohol, are you? You're trying to ship olive oil, aren't you?

Trying to ship Olive Oil is even harder than trying to ship alcohol. Bitch just won't shut up once you get her in the crate.

Ugh. The sound of Olive Oyl's voice will now resound through my head as I attempt to fall asleep.

The only cocktail I ever drink is an Alabama Slammer, and if the bartender doesn't know how to make that, a Tequila Sunrise.

I'm beginning to suspect there's a whole world I'm missin' out on... :)

Six, I will certainly check into those for you.

Peter....am almost certain we can't access absinthe here , but I'll ask. Methinks our British friends can, however, cuz I believe whisky mentioned he had some and was sipping on it one evening.

curiousa2z said:

Peter....am almost certain we can't access absinthe here , but I'll ask. Methinks our British friends can, however, cuz I believe whisky mentioned he had some and was sipping on it one evening.

The same liquor store in Victoria where I bought the Passion Fruit Liqueur had real Absinthe. I believe it was around $75 Canadian.

I think it was some weird brand I'd never heard of before, something from Eastern Europe.

^It varies from Province to Province; for years I made my parents cross into Quebec to pick up my preferred brand of Amaro as it wasn't available then in Ontario.
Now I'm curious myself as to whether I can order Absinthe here.

Got any Cr'eme du Menthe? Grasshopper. But I'd really love some Merlot. The first time I had ever served Merlot, my customers were from France. They asked for Merlot, so I wrote down Mer l'eau. I went over to June and scratched my head, " June, these people want Sea Water! See, Mer l'eau!" I blushed when June handed me the bottle. I presented them with the bouquet. When I presented them with the check, they examined it and laughed. They tipped me 20 dollars for that malapropism.

curiousa2z said:

Whoo-hoo!

I've had a craving for Wallace something fierce, especially after the weather changed. Yes, I can always have a single malt, but sometimes I want something desserty with the same flavor, and Drambuie is just too syrupy for me.

What's really stupid is that I bought my first bottle at The Whisky Shop in Edinburgh, and there's a Whisky Shop in San Francisco. But they don't carry the same stock as their sister store, because of the FUCKING DISTRIBUTION LAWS.

Speaking of single malt . . .

Should I go for the 17 Year Ardbeg, the 18 Year Macallan, the 10 Year Laphroaig, the 12 Year Bunnahabain, or the Ardbeg Uigeadail?

Six, I can't help you there- I only drink Irish whisky, for my sins.
I did ask four of my hard-core Single- Malt -Scotch -drinking buddies who had the following to offer:

"With the exception of the Macallan, these are all Islay scotches which co-incidently are my favourite. The Islay scotches are all similar in that they all have a peaty, smoky flavour that remind you of the outdoors.

I don't recall trying a Bunnahabain or the Ardbeg Uigeadail. I like Laphroig and the Ardbeg but I certainly wouldn't turn down any of these!

According to my 1999 edition of Michael Jackson's Malt Whiskey Companion:

17 Year Ardbeg scored 85
10 Year Laphroaig scored 88
12 Year Bunnahabain scored 77

He doesn't list a 18 Year Macallan or the Ardbeg Uigeadail but he rates Macallan quite high...

Also check out:

http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/

For *lots of information*.

I think I'd go for the Laphroaig followed by one of the Ardberg's. The Uigeadail sounds very intriguing..."

so there's my ad hoc poll, regarding the Scotch at least..

I went for the Uigeadail. That one is so smoky my wife can tell from upstairs that I've poured myself a glass. I'm not kidding.

The Macallan is smooth. But it was a gift from a friend who can afford to spend $150 on a bottle of booze, and it is slowly becoming an empty bottle.

I also prefer the Islays. I like the smoky and peaty whiskys best, though I won't turn down other stuff.

For Irish Whiskey, I like my 16 Year Bushmills Single Malt when I'm feeling like a treat. Otherwise, I enjoy Knappogue Castle. That's a smooth-drinking Irish Whiskey.

For Xmas I indulged in a bottle of 12-year old Black Bushmill's. My,my.
But we are a small town and I have never seen Knappogue Castle on the shelves...sounds lovely, though. Jamison's is the only other brand on offer.

....which makes me wonder if maybe GTC might not be a better bet. He lives in the Hamilton area, - a WAY bigger town than mine. I'll give it a go, but I'm just realising I may not have the access to what's truly available.

Then there's always Red Wacker, he lives in Toronto! :bigass: